Thread: Eeli Tolvanen

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Eeli Tolvanen

What is going on with this guy??

Drafted 30th overall and a lot of people at that time said it was too low.

Then in his D+1 he has a mammoth season for an 18 yr old in the KHL, no wait the best season all time for that age group.

A lot of people thought he'd jump right into the NHL and rightfully so, plays 4 games but mostly plays in the AHL and has a respectable season 35 pts in 58 GP. Some adjustment to NA pro hockey is understandable.

This year he's come out of the gate ice cold, 6 pts in 20 GP, good for 14th! on the team in scoring.

I know we're only at the quarter mark of the year and he's still only 20 but when was the last time we saw a guy rise to the top and then fall down so quickly?
    20 Team Dynasty H2H League: Devils (Rebuild Mode)
    5th Year
    G=1.5, A=1, PPP=.25, SHP=.25, BLK=.1, HIT=.1, SOG=1, FOW=+.1, FOL=-.1, GA=-1, SV=+.1, SHO=4, W=3

C : Hischier, Horvat,
    W : Marner, P. Kane, Fiala
    D : Provorov, Bouchard
    G : Campbell, Francouz

Minors:
    C : Tomasino, Rossi, Khustnutdinov, Amirov, Stankoven,
    W : N. Robertson, Maccelli,
    D : Addison, Farrance, Morrow, Heinola, Rathbone
    G : Annunen, Thompson

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Eeli Tolvanen

I'm probably out to lunch here but I'll throw in Dylan Strome's name. He was essentially a bust for a few years after being drafted so high. He had a breakout season last year and is doing pretty well this season but it took a while to get there. Plus, I think the change of scenery helped. Puljujarvi comes to mind also. Add in the depth Nashville has as well and that makes it harder for him. We saw it here in Calgary with Bennett, too. 4th overall pick and he's essentially a 3rd line grinder with limited offensive production. Ho-Sang and the list goes on.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

I don't think it's the same thing with Strome, just cause he was dominating the AHL right off the bat and just needed some seasoning, Puljujarvi and Bennett were in the NHL right away also, Tolvanen has had very little NHL time. You see guys all the time that dominate the AHL and can't seem to make the jump, but Tolvanen can't even do that after being an exceptional player in a mens league.

Oh well thanks for your feedback
    5th Year
    G=1.5, A=1, PPP=.25, SHP=.25, BLK=.1, HIT=.1, SOG=1, FOW=+.1, FOL=-.1, GA=-1, SV=+.1, SHO=4, W=3

Minors:

Quote Originally Posted by tcat View Post
    I don't think it's the same thing with Strome, just cause he was dominating the AHL right off the bat and just needed some seasoning, Puljujarvi and Bennett were in the NHL right away also, Tolvanen has had very little NHL time. You see guys all the time that dominate the AHL and can't seem to make the jump, but Tolvanen can't even do that after being an exceptional player in a mens league.

Oh well thanks for your feedback
    Reminds me of dobber favorite “Nikita Filatov”.... everybody was so high on him here. I hope thats not what he becomes tho.

Dobber Sports Deity

I've said this a few times since his draft year. Maybe the GMs who passed knew what they were doing here. I too think it's too early to give up, but I certainly don't hold him in the same regard for fantasy upside a lot of other fantasy GMs do, especially those who still own him.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Yeah at this point he's the kind of guy you hold and hope he returns to form.
    5th Year

Minors:

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by tcat View Post
    Yeah at this point he's the kind of guy you hold and hope he returns to form.

When did he ever "have it" to return to? LOL!

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    When did he ever "have it" to return to? LOL!
    I mean 36 points in the KHL as a teenager is nothing to scof at.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Padawan

There were red flags in Tolvanen's game that many ignored because of his skill level. When I watched him, I saw a guy who rarely took a hard stride when he didn't have the puck. He looked lazy and purely opportunistic.
    Maybe he can still grow out of that, but he needs to become a well-rounded pro if he wants to be the star so many projected him to be.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    I mean 36 points in the KHL as a teenager is nothing to scof at.
    Sure, thats impressive, but how many have we seen do well in the KHL and fizzle in the NHL? Hard to call that getting back to form.