Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who is the next coach to go?

The Great One

Default Re: Who is the next coach to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Ya I'm going to change my answer to Peters but not because he's a bad coach, just a bad person.
    He’s both apparently.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Genius

Well if Peters has not 'officially' been fired yet, then I would like to change my vote to Peters being the next one fired. LOL

PURE SPECULATION: I can't imagine there is a lot of precedents for firing an employee based on a tweet of comments made 10 years ago while working for another organization. I imagine the Flames legal team is involved in this and all the i's are being dotted and the t's crossed.

Maybe Lawman can chime in.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

The Great One

Ask Paula Dean
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    He’s both apparently.
    lol yes he is.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Well if Peters has not 'officially' been fired yet, then I would like to change my vote to Peters being the next one fired. LOL

PURE SPECULATION: I can't imagine there is a lot of precedents for firing an employee based on a tweet of comments made 10 years ago while working for another organization. I imagine the Flames legal team is involved in this and all the i's are being dotted and the t's crossed.

Maybe Lawman can chime in.

The Calgary Flames, like Rogers Communications & Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, are a private entity and (the exception is where the dismissal is in violation of human rights legislation) are free to terminate any employee they like at any time for any or no reason. As long as Peters didn't void his contract, he will continue to be paid like Mike Babcock and (I believe) Don Cherry.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The Calgary Flames, like Rogers Communications & Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, are a private entity and (the exception is where the dismissal is in violation of human rights legislation) are free to terminate any employee they like at any time for any or no reason. As long as Peters didn't void his contract, he will continue to be paid like Mike Babcock and (I believe) Don Cherry.
    Question: Can being fired for an act committed 10+ years ago (like in this situation) be deemed as some sort of "wrongful termination" by Bill Peters?
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

The Great One

Question: Can being fired for an act committed 10+ years ago (like in this situation) be deemed as some sort of "wrongful termination" by Bill Peters?
    No way - if it turns out he did and said these things he’s toast and there’s nothing he can do about it.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Grand Master

There's the legal term and the actual phrase. I am not going to pretend to know Canadian law, but the link above reads like the only caveats to being fired are being a member of a human rights protected class, as well as certain other things that relate to employment law, such as being involved in a lawsuit against the company or being a whistleblower.

Since Peters did something with a prior employer, in another country, they can't use that incident as the stated reason for termination, but they can do something that deals with the current situation that the prior incident coming to light is causing.

I can tell you that where I've worked in the US, a racial slur incident at a prior employer a decade ago wouldn't be grounds for termination in and of itself, if one needed grounds for termination in the locale or field one was employed in. Something like a relevant prior criminal conviction when the prior administration at the company didn't do required background checks, would be grounds for termination.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I don't mean to be dismissive but whether this could be "wrongful termination" isn't relevant since Peters*, Babcock, and Don Cherry** haven't actually been "terminated," merely relieved of their positions. Wrongful termination largely applies to compensation/severance and that isn't required since they continue to have their contracts fully honoured. They are still employed, they still collect salary, they just no longer have a position in the company.

*Not yet
    **To the best of my knowledge, I believe Rogers wording was that "Don stepped down" and termination was not mentioned. He continues to cash pay-cheques from Rogers until his contract runs out as far as I know.

Dobber Sports Superstar

One thing I'm curious about, is ever since Babcock was let go, a lot of stories have started filtering out. Things people kind of knew and had inclines about, but now more details. But it happened to a coach no longer employed.

Next, with the support for the players from those stories, some come out about another currently employed coach, being Peters. Another coach where there were rumblings but no real details. It does not look like it will end well for him.

My question then is, will we see anymore stories start to come out about currently employed coaches? Is there anyone we can think of where we've heard rumblings from the background but no real details? Is there anyone who the palyers seem to unanimously dislike? Could Tortorells be a possibility? Or are most of his blowups media related and he's not completely hated by all players?

Curious if we start seeing anymore of this.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    One thing I'm curious about, is ever since Babcock was let go, a lot of stories have started filtering out. Things people kind of knew and had inclines about, but now more details. But it happened to a coach no longer employed.

Next, with the support for the players from those stories, some come out about another currently employed coach, being Peters. Another coach where there were rumblings but no real details. It does not look like it will end well for him.

My question then is, will we see anymore stories start to come out about currently employed coaches? Is there anyone we can think of where we've heard rumblings from the background but no real details? Is there anyone who the palyers seem to unanimously dislike? Could Tortorells be a possibility? Or are most of his blowups media related and he's not completely hated by all players?

Curious if we start seeing anymore of this.
    I wont be suprised at all if more start coming out.

I said this yesterday on Twitter; I'm wondering how many NHL coaches would be unemployed tomorrow if all the players complained about their coach being abusive towards them. I bet there's be a lot.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports All-Star

I wont be suprised at all if more start coming out.

I said this yesterday on Twitter; I'm wondering how many NHL coaches would be unemployed tomorrow if all the players complained about their coach being abusive towards them. I bet there's be a lot.
    Yes. This is what I meant by a new ' Me Too' movement on another post.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Yes. This is what I meant by a new ' Me Too' movement on another post.
    The Sutters are under attack as we speak....

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/dan...133909769.html
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Deity

Pandora's Box has been opened!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Pandora's Box has been opened!
    JAR!