Thread: When do goalie pants make a difference?

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default When do goalie pants make a difference?

My son just started his first season of goalie (Atom C first year) and is doing really well so far, really progressing and getting better every practice and game. He's currently using his previous year's (player) hockey pants. I'm just curious if it would make a difference at this level to get proper goalie pants at this stage. He doesn't seem to have any issues right now with shot power against him, however he was just asked to play Peewee to replace their goalie which is up to 3 years older than he's used to. Anyways, long story short, would it be at all beneficial to get proper goalie pants?fedloan irs.gov easybib

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: When do goalie pants make a difference?

Anytime you can offer your kids the proper gear in hockey is the right time to do it. Its not going to improve his game, but it will definitely offer him better protection.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Definitely have to wear the right equipment. More padding for more areas. It'll take some time to adjust but better start now than later.

Dobber Sports Padawan

My son plays Minor Atom rep and after I witnessed the shots during the AAA and AA tryouts I opted to get him proper goalie pants. I think it would be a good idea to get a set.
    Yahoo League #1 - H2H Keep 21
    [F] Tkachuk, Barkov, A Svechnikov, Kaprizov, DeBrincat, Scheifele, RNH, Suzuki, Laine, Kakko, Cozens
    [D] Makar, Hughes, Nurse, Chabot, Byram
    [G] Hart, Shesterkin, Lehner, Helle

Yahoo League #2 - H2H Keep 22
    [F] MacKinnon, Guentzel, DeBrincat, EP40, Gaudreau, Barzal, Hughes, Laine, Garland, Norris, Batherson, Farabee
    [D] Hedman, MacAvoy, Nurse, Chabot, Pionk, Byram
    [G] Nedeljkovic, Smith, Gustavsson, Murray

Dobber Sports Rookie

My 2010 is playing Atom A and the shots are coming in faster and harder now than before. Definitely get him proper goalie pants as not only will they give him much better protection than player pants, they are constructed differently to allow better movement for goalies when doing butterflys and T-pushes across the crease.

Don't forget him to get him knee/thigh guards as well to protect hthe exposed areas when he goes down in his butterfly.

Dobber Sports Master

my dad bought me the knee guards that added extra protection when you'd be more exposed while on knees making saves (we're talking late 1970's) right in front of me at a sports store and wouldnt give them to me until Xmas lol ! He bought them in early Nov . Gheez dad .

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    my dad bought me the knee guards that added extra protection when you'd be more exposed while on knees making saves (we're talking late 1970's) right in front of me at a sports store and wouldnt give them to me until Xmas lol ! He bought them in early Nov . Gheez dad .
    lol. im sure just to toughen you up too
    12 Team H2H Keep 4

2 C, 4 W, 4 D, 2 UTIL, 2 G
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, FW: W, SV%, GAA

C: Barkov, Eichel
    W: Connor
    D:
    G: Sorokin
    ​IR:
    NA: