Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hockey Canada Age Group Name Changes

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Hockey Canada Age Group Name Changes

I'm on board with the change.
    World always be a changing...

I do have fond memories personally.
    Novice (age 8) was my first year playing hockey, my family had just moved from Detroit to Tecumseh/Windsor. I felt like a "Canadian" after I finished that year.
    Atom (age 9-10) was the years when I started enjoying it because I wasn't a rookie ankle-bender.
    Peewee (age 11-12) was my best years... even though "checking" was an absolute nightmare for me as smallest kid in league, I did learn to be crafty with skating & thinking.
    Bantam (age 13-14) was the transition from elementary school to high school. This was the last hurrah before kids started dropping out... getting into other things like girls, partying, part-time jobs...
    Midget (age 15...) is when I quit. I was still only about 5' tall. My home rink (Belle River) had to merge all the kids just to form one house league team and half our games were out in Tilbury against "Les Hiques"... there were fights and threats... shit got real old real fast at that point.

But those "names" do have special zones of my childhood memories.

Farewell ye ol' names.

Dobber Sports Ninja

So they tossed the midget term, eh? Good. It was inappropriate in today's world. I have no idea how the names were created, but I much prefer the age delineations like they do all over Europe.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I couldn't imagine being this upset over something so irrelevantly small. Talk about bubble wrapped society.
    You mean like the people who were upset enough to warrant the name change in the first place?

Careful with the bubble wrap, someone might suffocate.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    You mean like the people who were upset enough to warrant the name change in the first place?

Careful with the bubble wrap, someone might suffocate.
    No. I mean one group of people who have a valid reason for feeling marginalized should have the freedom to not be marginalized about arbitrary age definitions and affected change.

And then one highly bubble wrapped other group, who this change actually has no affect on and weirdly always has the same reaction to things like this and is always the same group, gets outraged and screams the same platitudes they always do, worried that their bubble wrap is getting popped.