View Poll Results: What are the five worst NHL contracts?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Jamie Benn ($9.5M per season through 2024-25)

35 38.04%
  • Aaron Ekblad ($7.5M per season through 2024-25)

2 2.17%
  • Loui Eriksson ($6.0M per season through 2021-22)

53 57.61%
  • Patric Hornqvist ($5.3M per season through 2022-23)

1 1.09%
  • Anze Kopitar ($10.0M per season through 2023-24)

4 4.35%
  • Martin Jones ($5.75M per season through 2023-24)

14 15.22%
  • Milan Lucic ($6.0M per season through 2022-23)

68 73.91%
  • Frans Nielsen ($5.25M per season through 2021-22)

10 10.87%
  • Kyle Okposo ($6.0M per season through 2022-23)

23 25.00%
  • Zach Parise ($7.538M per season through 2024-25)

29 31.52%
  • Jonathan Quick ($5.8M per season through 2022-23)

3 3.26%
  • Bobby Ryan ($7.25M per season through 2021-22)

29 31.52%
  • Brent Seabrook ($6.875M per season through 2023-24)

49 53.26%
  • Cory Schneider ($6.0M per season through 2021-22)

14 15.22%
  • P.K. Subban ($9.0M per season through 2021-22)

12 13.04%
  • Ryan Suter ($7.538M per season through 2024-25)

11 11.96%
  • Jonathan Toews ($10.5M per season through 2022-23)

5 5.43%
  • Kyle Turris ($6.0M per season through 2022-23)

11 11.96%
  • Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($7M per season through 2025-26)

34 36.96%
  • Alexander Wennberg ($4.9M per season through 2022-23)

2 2.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: The Worst NHL Contracts

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: The Worst NHL Contracts

This was extremely difficult lol, so many terrible contracts

I also opted for the longer-term ones. Maybe you can see the light at the end of the tunnel for some of these. Others? Imagine if this is the new normal for Vlasic and they're on the hook until 2026. Imagine a 40-year-old Parise in 2024, or worse, retiring early (the cap recapture in some retirement scenarios for him is crazy and would destroy the Wild).
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Rookie

Lucic... who else?

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I didn't pick Nielsen because the team he's on coupled with the lack of term left on his deal. That deal on like Tampa could kill them, that deal on the Red Wings doesn't really effect what they do.
    That's true. But what about how it affects me as a Red Wings' fan!

Dobber Sports Titan

Kyle Turris healthy scratched last night...Are NHL GMs actually on this site?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Genius

I am basing my list on players who I don’t think add really any value anymore.

Schiender- I really like Schiends as a person and for his time with the Nucks but he’s been sent down to the minors and has 6 wins over the last two years. He’s doing the least to help his team.
    Lucic- I actually feel bad for him, as he’s trying desperately to play a certain way to stay in the league, that has no place in the league. You would be better off hiring an off ice hitmen to protect your team, this guy doesn’t belong in the NHL anymore.

The first two are easy the next three were tougher. Eriksson isn’t a defensive liability and can play the penalty kill but he’s often a healthy scratch now so he’s probably in the three hole here. After that I go Nielson who is pointless and then Okposo
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Ilya Bryzgalov
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Two principles: (1) Contracts that end in two years aren't as bad as contracts that end in four years. (2) I'd rather overpay for a guy that can at least contribute something of value on the ice (Benn, Subban, Parise) than guys who are below replacement level for 70% of the same cost (Eriksson, Seabrook, Lucic, Schneider?)
    10-Team, Custom Keeper. In this league GMs sign their own contracts at an auction for a specified price and term up to 4 years.

G(3) A(2.5) +/- (0.5) SOG(0.1) FOW/FOL (0.05) HTS(0.1) BKS (0.1)

2C - McDavid, Pettersson, Barkov, Kopitar,
    2RW - Lindholm, Perron, Reinhart, Killorn
    2LW - Draisaitl, Svechnikov, Schenn
    3FWD From above FWDs
    6D - Karlsson, Dahlin, Gustafsson, Theodore, Edler
    2G - Varlamov, Greisss, Murray, Mrazek

IR - Hamilton

6FARM - Kakko, Mittelstadt, Francouz, Borgstrom

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Ilya Bryzgalov
    I see your Bryzgalov and raise you a Rick DiPietro.

Just looked it up - DiPietro is being paid for another 10 years. Not sure who's on the hook for that buyout money (do insurers cover those compliance buyouts?) and theres no cap hit but still, one of the greatest contracts of all time!

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    I leaned towards picking guys with longer deals. If a players on a bad deal that ends in the next two or three years I was less likely to pick them because those deals can be taken off the books soon. That's why I didn't pick Nielsen.
    This makes sense. What I don't understand is why Eriksson's vote total is so much higher than Nielsen - same term and almost the same dollar amount. I guess Eriksson's seems all the worst because he was better at one point in time?
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    This makes sense. What I don't understand is why Eriksson's vote total is so much higher than Nielsen - same term and almost the same dollar amount. I guess Eriksson's seems all the worst because he was better at one point in time?
    Yes, I don't think enough people really know about Nielsen and didn't take the time to go look him up. I know I didn't. He was never great, so he wasn't really a fall from grace. I entirely agree that he should be one of the 5 having gone and checked it out. Although the $5.25 doesn't jump out as being quite as bad as some of those other numbers up there.

Dobber Sports Titan

I think it's that Eriksson gets talked about as the bigger burden since Vancouver is trying to compete and Detroit isn't.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I voted for Eriksson, Lucic, Nielsen, Okposo, Turris. If Allen was an option he would've bumped one of them off, and I cannot fathom how some of these guys beat him out for inclusion. Some of these options are weird, honestly.

My write in vote is for Allen. He was established as a roughly average NHL goalie (note: not average starter) when signed his deal. He's put the following goals saved above average pecrentages during the deal, where 100 is average, and under 100 is better: 107, 105, 116. Other than maybe Nielsen, everyone on the list had at least a very good season at some point.

Toews, Kopitar, & to some extent Benn are getting paid for past performance as well as what they are expected to provide. If you lead your team to multiple Stanley Cups or win a scoring title, and resign with your current team, there's going to be some of that. Fans would be a little pissed if the team lost that player because the team didn't want to pay them the value they have, which is higher to the team they are on.

Ekblad is even crazier, as I'm pretty sure he's getting paid what is more or less the going rate for a first pairing defenseman and is..... 23 years old. He's improving. The bad Ekblad contract isn't this one, it's the next one he signs, and he will be a FA before 30.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Lucic, Eriksson, Ryan, Seabrook, Schneider. I see a lot of votes for Benn and Vlasic, but I decided against because the players I've listed are barely hanging on and still making a ton of money, while at least Benn/Vlasic are still at least half-decent NHLers.
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I voted for Eriksson, Lucic, Nielsen, Okposo, Turris. If Allen was an option he would've bumped one of them off, and I cannot fathom how some of these guys beat him out for inclusion. Some of these options are weird, honestly.

My write in vote is for Allen. He was established as a roughly average NHL goalie (note: not average starter) when signed his deal. He's put the following goals saved above average pecrentages during the deal, where 100 is average, and under 100 is better: 107, 105, 116. Other than maybe Nielsen, everyone on the list had at least a very good season at some point.

Toews, Kopitar, & to some extent Benn are getting paid for past performance as well as what they are expected to provide. If you lead your team to multiple Stanley Cups or win a scoring title, and resign with your current team, there's going to be some of that. Fans would be a little pissed if the team lost that player because the team didn't want to pay them the value they have, which is higher to the team they are on.

Ekblad is even crazier, as I'm pretty sure he's getting paid what is more or less the going rate for a first pairing defenseman and is..... 23 years old. He's improving. The bad Ekblad contract isn't this one, it's the next one he signs, and he will be a FA before 30.
    If you read the column, Allen was listed as a near miss, mainly because he comes off the books after next season whereas all 20 on this list are inked through at least 2021-22.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Grand Master

If you read the column, Allen was listed as a near miss, mainly because he comes off the books after next season whereas all 20 on this list are inked through at least 2021-22.
    I did read the column, but I think he's got an actually worse contract than some of these guys, even though it's short.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.