View Poll Results: What are the five worst NHL contracts?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Jamie Benn ($9.5M per season through 2024-25)

35 38.04%
  • Aaron Ekblad ($7.5M per season through 2024-25)

2 2.17%
  • Loui Eriksson ($6.0M per season through 2021-22)

53 57.61%
  • Patric Hornqvist ($5.3M per season through 2022-23)

1 1.09%
  • Anze Kopitar ($10.0M per season through 2023-24)

4 4.35%
  • Martin Jones ($5.75M per season through 2023-24)

14 15.22%
  • Milan Lucic ($6.0M per season through 2022-23)

68 73.91%
  • Frans Nielsen ($5.25M per season through 2021-22)

10 10.87%
  • Kyle Okposo ($6.0M per season through 2022-23)

23 25.00%
  • Zach Parise ($7.538M per season through 2024-25)

29 31.52%
  • Jonathan Quick ($5.8M per season through 2022-23)

3 3.26%
  • Bobby Ryan ($7.25M per season through 2021-22)

29 31.52%
  • Brent Seabrook ($6.875M per season through 2023-24)

49 53.26%
  • Cory Schneider ($6.0M per season through 2021-22)

14 15.22%
  • P.K. Subban ($9.0M per season through 2021-22)

12 13.04%
  • Ryan Suter ($7.538M per season through 2024-25)

11 11.96%
  • Jonathan Toews ($10.5M per season through 2022-23)

5 5.43%
  • Kyle Turris ($6.0M per season through 2022-23)

11 11.96%
  • Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($7M per season through 2025-26)

34 36.96%
  • Alexander Wennberg ($4.9M per season through 2022-23)

2 2.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: The Worst NHL Contracts

The Magnificent One

Default ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: The Worst NHL Contracts

Usually for these polls I like them to be at least as fantasy-relevant as they are entertaining/interesting. And although there’s arguably some fantasy relevance here, this one is mostly a “water cooler” poll, where you get to vote on the worst contracts in the NHL.

Not surprisingly, there were well more than 20 (the poll limit) deals I could’ve included as voting choices, so be sure to read the column (posted on Wednesday) to see my list of near misses. Each of the 20 players is listed alphabetically, along with his annual salary and duration of his contract.

How did I decide which 20 to include? Here were the factors: (1) all players had to be earning $4M per season or more, (2) everyone had to be good at some point, meaning at least one past 55+ point season for all forwards, at least one past 30+ point season for defensemen, and at least one past 30+ win season for all goalies, (3) contracts must have been signed before this summer, since I figure the newly signed guys deserve at least a full season before we lump them in with guys who’ve been bad for longer, and (4) all players must have appeared in at least one game in the 2019-20 season, meaning no guys who are on LTIR, buried in the minors, or otherwise in limbo.

While it’s up to you to decide what you think makes one contract worse than another, two factors to consider are (1) length of contract probably is more relevant than dollar amount, and (2) it matters if a player has “real world” value despite little to no fantasy value. Think about these when casting your votes.

Speaking of voting, here’s the last but most important thing – I want you to vote for FIVE players. Why five? If I let folks vote only once the outcome might be too predictable, or people would see the ongoing results and let that (sub)consciously influence how they vote. This way things should be more interesting, yet still yield the what we’re looking for. I’ll be very curious to see how this turns out, and please post a reply in the thread about who you voted for and why.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: The Worst NHL Contracts

I voted for Benn, Eriksson, Lucic, Seabrook and Schneider. There's some dandy's on that list though.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

I went Benn, Eriksson, Ryan, Subban, and MEV.

Benn – That’s a tough one, last 2 seasons he’s been poor, and his PDO is above 100, so it’s not like he’s really unlucky

Eriksson – 0.37PPG during his Vancouver time. Simple as that.

Bobby Ryan – That’s a tough contract for a team who can’t physically absorb bad deals. He could be the exact reason why they don’t have better workout equipment. Or have to go bargain hunting on airplane fuel causing longer travel times. Things like that.

PK Subban – Same kind of issue with NJD as Ryan causes Ottawa. But clearly his contract wouldn’t have handcuffed the team quite yet. But 9mill for him is a lot.

MEV – Man, how he has fallen. 7mill for a defensive expert was questionable when signed, but the fall off has just started, will only get worse.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Eriksson, Lucic and Schneider seem to be on most people's lists, and are on mine as well.
    MEV I have a little faith left in, so he misses my top despite being a popular pick.

Parise and Suter are my last two, as they are really going to drag MIN down for the next number of years. If they get traded, MIN is subject to cap recapture penalties if they retire early, and if they're kept, then the rebuild is basically blocked. It's the combo of dollars, years, team, pairing, and situation that bumps them both onto my list.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Eriksson, Lucic and Schneider seem to be on most people's lists, and are on mine as well.
    MEV I have a little faith left in, so he misses my top despite being a popular pick.

Parise and Suter are my last two, as they are really going to drag MIN down for the next number of years. If they get traded, MIN is subject to cap recapture penalties if they retire early, and if they're kept, then the rebuild is basically blocked. It's the combo of dollars, years, team, pairing, and situation that bumps them both onto my list.
    Thanks EB for the votes, and in your help in giving me suggestions for the list. I forgot to give you credit here in my initial post, but I did in the column.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Thanks EB for the votes, and in your help in giving me suggestions for the list. I forgot to give you credit here in my initial post, but I did in the column.
    No worries
    Curious to read what you came up with!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Man, who picked Kopitar? He's the best one on the list! Yes, he is overpaid (barely) at $10 mil, but the guy has 22 points in 20 games this season, and 92 from two years ago (mind you the 60 in 81 last year wasn't great), all while playing top minutes one a terrible team! He's my last choice on this list, by far.

I did pick Eriksson and Lucic obviously as those ones speak for themselves.

I picked Benn as I have a hard time seeing him bounce back to be productive for 5 more years at $9.5.

Seabrook is an obvious one as he has 3 points in 18 games but his individual and 5on5 S%s are both high indicating he should have less!! That and he just doesn't have the speed to keep up now, let alone 4 years from now...

Ryan was my last pick, and I'll admit it's not a good pick. It's a terrible contract, and he's really bad, but it's only for this year and next. Parise should have been my pick due to the duration and the potential cap implications EB pointed out. Suter is still logging crazy minutes and can play some defence while chipping in, so he's still useful.

Dobber Sports Titan

I guess Schneider actually should be higher on my list now. If the NHL team rather pay him to play for the minor league team, he can't be doing well for the team lol.

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I guess Schneider actually should be higher on my list now. If the NHL team rather pay him to play for the minor league team, he can't be doing well for the team lol.
    Good point - I'm sure New Jersey's brass, who of course must be avid followers of my posts and columns (lol), saw this and said it was the straw that broke the camel's back and decided to cut him loose.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Eriksson, Lucic, Ryan and Seabrook for me... they're anchor's on the ice as well as off.

At least with Benn he offers quality play - even in the absence of points.
    Okposo I didn't pick because he seems destined to LTIR
    Schneider I skipped because he can easily be bought out $2mil per.
    Vlasic - I assume the people picking him haven't seen him play. He isn't paid 7m to score. He'd be a top pair Dman on all 31 teams right now.
    Parise & Suter both still produce and play at a pretty good level - I couldn't pick them even with the length of their contracts.

M. Jones I probably should have picked for a 5th one. 5 more years at 5.8 is just YIKES
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Magnificent One

Frankly, I'm surprised Nielsen doesn't have more votes. The guy has ZERO points in 18 games. That's hard to do if you were trying not to score.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Frankly, I'm surprised Nielsen doesn't have more votes. The guy has ZERO points in 18 games. That's hard to do if you were trying not to score.
    Number 1 on my list for sure.

I had him, Parise, Lucic, Suter and Turris because all of these guys had their best years prior to the contract. They showed little to no growth after striking it big.

Dobber Sports Master

Has to be Lucic, Eriksson and Bobby Ryan. He has been so bad for so long and still has 2 years left. Whaaaaaat happened..

Dobber Sports Monster

I leaned towards picking guys with longer deals. If a players on a bad deal that ends in the next two or three years I was less likely to pick them because those deals can be taken off the books soon. That's why I didn't pick Nielsen.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Titan

I didn't pick Nielsen because the team he's on coupled with the lack of term left on his deal. That deal on like Tampa could kill them, that deal on the Red Wings doesn't really effect what they do.