Poll: Will Babcock be fired in-season if the Leafs keep playing at their current rate?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Forget winning a playoff round, at this rate Babcock won’t last the year

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Forget winning a playoff round, at this rate Babcock won’t last the year

I remember saying that they should have fired him back in the summer after they lost to Boston again in the 1st round.

I voted no because I dont think Shanny will fire him. He will say something about all the injuries holding them back, which is BS, but that's the excuse for Leafs fans as to why they didnt let him go.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Default Re: Forget winning a playoff round, at this rate Babcock won’t last the year

Babcock has a better resume, but it reminds me of when the Habs wouldn’t fire Therrien. It was painfully obvious to everyone else that he’d lost the room and needed to go, but they dug a foxhole and held on far longer than they should have.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports All-Star

Listening to Coliaccivo on the TSN radio this morning and he was wondering why Babcock doesnt start bringing up guys from the Marlies who want to play. Shake things up a bit to send a message. Good question. Do something before it's too late. He obviously isnt worried about his job.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Listening to Coliaccivo on the TSN radio this morning and he was wondering why Babcock doesnt start bringing up guys from the Marlies who want to play. Shake things up a bit to send a message. Good question. Do something before it's too late. He obviously isnt worried about his job.
    Babcock doesnt call people up; Dubas does. Babcock just coaches them when they get there.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Dubas might not be doing this too because if you start bringing up players, it gives the single you're bailing out the guys you as a GM fought to sign (Marner, Matthews, JT).

It's a "we signed you to win, YOU guys win". Just spit balling
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by DzingelBarries View Post
    He has 4 more years left on his contract at 6 million per. That is why the hesitation. After giving out the amount of money they've given on the Big 4 the last two seasons, eating Babs contract would be a bitter pill. If not for that, I think he'd already be gone.
    I believe the way the contract is structured that most of the money has been paid out at this point (would need to be confirmed). Even still, I don't think they have any hesitations firing him due to money. I think he has remained solely because of who he is and his resume, but hit stubbornness is really starting to wear thin in Toronto. Winning cures everything though.

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    I heard that was well, but I don't think it is nearly as simple as Colaiacovo was making it sound. I believe a number of those guys would be exposed to waivers if sent down so you risk losing them for nothing, and you would have to take a close look at the cap implications since they are so tight. I understand his thinking, but I really don't think the problem has been with the bottom 4 and I don't think switching them up would accomplish much of anything.

I do not think Babcock has adapted well to this team and it just doesn't seem like they are a good fit. It hasn't seemed like that from the get go. Tough to say if they'll respond better to a different coach though, or if this is who they are. Only one way to find out though....

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Babcock doesnt call people up; Dubas does. Babcock just coaches them when they get there.
    True but I would think Babcock has some say.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    I heard that was well, but I don't think it is nearly as simple as Colaiacovo was making it sound. I believe a number of those guys would be exposed to waivers if sent down so you risk losing them for nothing, and you would have to take a close look at the cap implications since they are so tight. I understand his thinking, but I really don't think the problem has been with the bottom 4 and I don't think switching them up would accomplish much of anything.
    There has to be someone they can send down. Gauthier, Petan, Mikhiheyev, Timashov, Marincin.... None of these? I don't know.

Dobber Sports Titan

Only leaf player who wouldn't go through waivers is Mikheyev. However Petan has already cleared waivers once

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Well, this thread was right on cue :$

FE3F26A6-989F-4928-9DD2-FDEC15CE2A95.jpeg
    H2H weekly matchups | 12 teams | 2C • 3W • 3D • 1UTIL • 2G • 3BN • 2IR+ | 3 weekly moves

Scoring | 4G, 3A, 0.3+/-, 1PPP, 5SHG, 3SHA, 3GWG, 0.4SOG, 0.2FW, -0.2FL, 0.3HIT, 0.3BLK | 4W, -1GA, 0.25SV, 6SHO

ROSTER:
    (C,W) Stamkos, Giroux
    (C) Barkov, Couturier
    (W) M.Tkachuk, Konecny, Svechnikov, Caufield
    (D) Josi, Morrissey, Theodore, Sanderson
    (G) Bobrovsky, Husso
    (IR+) Vasilevskiy, Matheson

Record: 2-1-0

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I'm not surprised by a slow start after that much roster turnover and some early key injuries. I wasn't expecting this.

I also think this could be done very soon. Like any hour.
    "Any hour" turned into four days.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    "Any hour" turned into four days.
    Less than 100 hours off. Nice call
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)