Poll: Will Babcock be fired in-season if the Leafs keep playing at their current rate?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Forget winning a playoff round, at this rate Babcock won’t last the year

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Arrow Forget winning a playoff round, at this rate Babcock won’t last the year

What the title says

This is a meltdown of epic proportions for such a talented team that had real SC aspirations prior to the start of the new campaign. Talk heading into the season was Babcock needs to win a playoff round or else he’s fired. Right now, it’s looking like they don’t even make the post season so it begs the question - does he even last the year?

...for such a cap strapped team with multiple near-max contracts, the window to win is smaller than ever before. I’m sure with the talent accumulated that upper management wouldn’t want to have a year completely wasted. Sheldon Keefe (Marlies bench coach) didn’t get the job and it’s speculated Babcock and his contract have prevented him from maybe even being the Leafs head coach to begin this season. He’s a proven winner at the AHL level and is viewed by many as the best coach outside of the NHL.

& I don’t have any sympathy for Babcock. He’s very stubborn in how he goes about things and doesn’t set his players to succeed in advantageous positions. Instead of adjusting to their/the team’s strengths, he wants everything to evolve around him.

& no he doesn't get an injury pass or how the roster is built pass. Fact is, the Leafs have 5-6 star/superstar players (JT, Matthews, Marner, Rielly, Barrie, Andersen). Teams are lucky to have 1 or 2 and even then they manage if injuries occur to them. So to say injuries as an excuse, “it’s a no from me dawg” - Randy Jackson, because you still have more/as many (super)stars on your team than the vast majority of teams in the league. As for roster build, saying he doesn’t have a defense? For starters he has Rielly who 99% of teams would trade for if possible. Barrie is being completely wasted by Babcock. Sure they don’t have high end defensive blueliner but many teams don’t. The Pens have one of the worst defenses but the coaching system makes it work. Just recall how many injuries they’ve had during the years and their Cup runs, it was virtually AHL level often times yet they made it work and I know for a fact that the Leafs defence is no near as bad as that.

...a poll has been added, would like to see where people stand. Do you think Babcock lasts the year if he can’t turn the ship around?
    H2H weekly matchups | 12 teams | 2C • 3W • 3D • 1UTIL • 2G • 3BN • 2IR+ | 3 weekly moves

Scoring | 4G, 3A, 0.3+/-, 1PPP, 5SHG, 3SHA, 3GWG, 0.4SOG, 0.2FW, -0.2FL, 0.3HIT, 0.3BLK | 4W, -1GA, 0.25SV, 6SHO

ROSTER:
    (C,W) Stamkos, Giroux
    (C) Barkov, Couturier
    (W) M.Tkachuk, Konecny, Svechnikov, Caufield
    (D) Josi, Morrissey, Theodore, Sanderson
    (G) Bobrovsky, Husso
    (IR+) Vasilevskiy, Matheson

Record: 2-1-0

Default Re: Forget winning a playoff round, at this rate Babcock won’t last the year

FWIW I voted yes

I just believe if there’s no signs of change within the team, the Leafs would be smart to give Keefe a head start with the team as opposed to after the season. I could see this happening around late January early February if things don’t change drastically standings wise. This way he’d at least get to know the players and start implementing his style of play so that way they can be up and running to start the following year.
    H2H weekly matchups | 12 teams | 2C • 3W • 3D • 1UTIL • 2G • 3BN • 2IR+ | 3 weekly moves

Scoring | 4G, 3A, 0.3+/-, 1PPP, 5SHG, 3SHA, 3GWG, 0.4SOG, 0.2FW, -0.2FL, 0.3HIT, 0.3BLK | 4W, -1GA, 0.25SV, 6SHO

ROSTER:
    (C,W) Stamkos, Giroux
    (C) Barkov, Couturier
    (W) M.Tkachuk, Konecny, Svechnikov, Caufield
    (D) Josi, Morrissey, Theodore, Sanderson
    (G) Bobrovsky, Husso
    (IR+) Vasilevskiy, Matheson

Record: 2-1-0

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Forget winning a playoff round, at this rate Babcock won’t last the year

Yes after hearing Friedman in the intermission I believe theres a fairly good chance Babcock gets fired at some point this season. Friedman said all bets are off as far as Bab's future. At this point it wouldn't shock me if it was in the next 48 hours.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks13 View Post
    What the title says

This is a meltdown of epic proportions for such a talented team that had real SC aspirations prior to the start of the new campaign. Talk heading into the season was Babcock needs to win a playoff round or else he’s fired. Right now, it’s looking like they don’t even make the post season so it begs the question - does he even last the year?
    Lol Stanley Cup aspirations? I don’t know how many people outside of Leafs fan were thinking this was a championship caliber team. They’re a playoff team and that’s it, nothing more. And for the record I voted NO, Babcock has a pretty long leash in my opinion.
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

The Great One

It's been painfully obvious for a long time that Babcock is not a good fit this team. Thank god he spurned more money from Buffalo.

Administrator

I'm not surprised by a slow start after that much roster turnover and some early key injuries. I wasn't expecting this.

I also think this could be done very soon. Like any hour.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ace

babs has been there for 5 years and they havent gotten out of the first round of the playoffs, and they havent figured out how to play in their own zone.
    the learning and growing phase should be over, its time to make it happen.
    12 Team, One year, Points only - G,A,PPG,SHG, no positional restrictions
    2 points goalie W, 2 points goalie SHO, -.5 goalie loss, start 1 goalie per night
    Hughes, Panarin, Connor, Konecny, Terry, Necas, Gaudreau, Schmaltz, Nichushkin, Zacha
    Makar, Hedman, Andersson, DeAngelo
    Gustavsson, Talbot

He has 4 more years left on his contract at 6 million per. That is why the hesitation. After giving out the amount of money they've given on the Big 4 the last two seasons, eating Babs contract would be a bitter pill. If not for that, I think he'd already be gone.

Rumor was Dubas wanted to fire him after the 2nd Game 7 to Boston but wasn't given permission to do so.

Will be interesting to see what is valued more...Money...or winning. There's no way they think Mike Babcock is the right guy for this team. None. If they're about winning, there should be a coaching change before the Vegas game.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

Administrator

Leafs will be fine paying that money. It's more about moving on from a coach perceived (back then) to be an all-star acquisition at the same level as Tavares.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sage

Does Babcock ultimately end up back in Detroit if/when this happens? The story kind of writes itself.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Leafs fans going from “Babcock is the greatest coach of all time” to “fire this bum he sux” in less than 5 years is probably the least surprising thing to happen in the history of the NHL. This fan base is amazing lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Also find it weird how desperately people want to cling to the false narrative of “Pittsburgh’s D sux”

Dobber Sports Master

probably the easiest thing to do at this point I guess .

if anyone messed with Tavares when he played for the Isles they'd get at least get some measure of pay back right at the moment or later in the game .

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by DzingelBarries View Post
    Will be interesting to see what is valued more...Money...or winning. There's no way they think Mike Babcock is the right guy for this team. None. If they're about winning, there should be a coaching change before the Vegas game.
    Winning will make them more money...

Dobber Sports Titan

Dubas had it written into his contract he had the authority to fire the head coach. The rumour was Dubas wanted to fire Babcock in June/July but Shanahan talked him out of it. Big difference than "not allowed too".

We can't comment on it really because we don't know where the disconnect is. I've thought hard on this since Friday and there's a couple of points I've thought of:
    - Is it the players not listening to what the coach wants?
    - Is it the coach not listening to what the GM wants?
    - Is it the coaching style in general?
    - Is it the roster constructed?
    - Is it how the roster is used?
    - If you fire Babcock, how easy is it for the new coach (Keefe) to implement his system mid-season?
    - Is Dubas willing to disturb the success of the Marlies (10-2-3) to promote Keefe? It is his baby since he started GM-ing there
    - How much of the Assistant Coach Hiring was on Dubas? The PP is terrible but nothing changes, so if Babcock didn't hire them, maybe he's just letting it go out of spite? But really who would ruin a teams success/their reputation over spite?

I dunno. The fact on the PP I can see issues and nothing changes makes me question Hakstol's thinking on the PP. Leafs try the cross-seam pass from Marner to Matthews as their Primary option. With Rielly being up top, the PK forwards don't need to defend his shot so they sit back blocking the cross seam pass. When Marner or Matthews get the puck the PK-er is really close to them also due to sitting back deep in their own zone so they can't do much with it. Employ a defender who can shoot (Barrie) on the point, it pulls the PK forwards up enough to possibly open up the cross-seam pass from Marner to Matthews.

The PP is so bad, that I'm not even opposed to bringing up Bracco and sending Timashov down for 5 games and telling Bracco, "just do whatever you want on the PP". The PP is so complacent I'm was honestly hoping Babcock would send the 4th line out for a powerplay to send a message. Let Matthews hop the bench and yell at him to come back and send out the 4th line.

If they continue this run though, Babcock won't make Christmas. That's my feeling on this. However, Leafs are able to rattle of 6 wins and put this discussion to bed quick.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Dikoi View Post
    Lol Stanley Cup aspirations? I don’t know how many people outside of Leafs fan were thinking this was a championship caliber team. They’re a playoff team and that’s it, nothing more. And for the record I voted NO, Babcock has a pretty long leash in my opinion.
    Well I don't think this is true. They took Boston to Game 7 and many thought would have an improved team this season.

Anyways....I voted yes. Because their hands are tied right now.