Thread: Team analysis

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Team analysis

So we are at the quarter point in the season. Sometimes I struggle to decipher my teams performance. I only play on fantrax. H2H so that skews things imo.

If you go to the league standings page and scroll to the right you can see a part called season stats. The first portion is a ranking of (in my case because it’s a 16 team league) of your overall score (like in roto) in each category from 1 to 16 (16 being the best) and it ranks teams based upon your general score.

For example if you were the best in the 10 categories in the league your total score would be 160.

I have a team that is 2nd in this ranking and doesn’t really have many categories lowers than 11/12 and a few 16’s. But my team is just over 500 at this point.
    Do i just chalk this up to “puck luck” of H2H were I may have put up the 2nd best Hits but just happened to face the best team that week in Hits?

I’m trying to not over analyze things but also am not happy with the performance so far.

How do you measure yourself, especially in a H2H league?
    14 team Fantrax H2H keeper league
    G, A, P, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW, - W, Gaa, Sv%, Svs

C - Crosby, Tavares, Kopitar, Toews
    LW - Hall, Giroux(C), Vrana, Gaudreau
    RW - Pastrnak, Kane, Stamkos(C), Kubalik
    D - Burns, Murphy, Morrisey, Cernak, Whitecloud, Chiarot
    G - Mrazek, Campbell, Brossoit, Greiss
    Bench - Middlestat, Wennberg, Perron, Olofsson, Schwartz, Atkinson, Yama

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Team analysis

If your team is second in the rankings and still in line to make your head to head playoffs, then worry not, you'll get your bounces. The thing I like to have is close to half of my categories right near the top of those rankings. That shows that any given week I'm one of the best teams in about half of the categories, meaning if I take most of those, I only need one or two more to win the week. It's a little more predictable that way.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Not sure if it would work, but off the top of my head, figure out what the average score is in each stat per week, basically the total of that stat divided by the week I would think. Then check your scores in those categories on a weekly basis and the scores of your opponents on a weekly basis. That'll tell you if you're having bad luck or not. Sounds like yes though based on your roto-ranking in the cats.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I am also in a head-to-head league with individual stat matchups. In mine, with 12 teams and 10 categories, a perfect week sees you go 10-0-0, you are only playing one opponent in all 10 categories.

I like to look at Standings, Season Stats as well. So while I see that I am first overall by the Season Stats page, I am in third due to matchups.

One other thing I do is check by period - that helps to see where you had bad luck, and I'm notorious among friends for bad fantasy matchup luck - mostly in football, and my other hockey league. So while my skaters are at worst getting 10/12 in all categories, there are some categories where I am first in production for the year, but I may have had a week or two that wasn't great. YOu need to go to Standings, Results, for that, as By Period under season stats works poorly.

You should be pretty happy with 2nd overall in that metric. I've had a season in fantasy football where I smashed the league scoring record and went 1-2 in weeks with top 5 scores for the year, because my opponents lined up precisely in the only way that could happen.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.