Thread: Laine vs Marner

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Laine vs Marner

Would you guys do this trade? I'd be giving up Laine for Marner?

Context is I'm dead last! had a crap draft cause I barely had any picks from spending them to help me win past 2 seasons. Guy who's in battle for lead and I had discussions and since Marner got injured we ended up talking about this swap.

League in sig. (Keeper league w/ cap)
    1) 12 team keeper league (cap with aav) keep 15. (Less than 82 GP = protected)
    Fwd G 2pt A 1pt Def G 2pt A 1pt Blk .33 pt Goalies - W 2pt OTL 1pt SO 4pt

F(12): Robertson, J Hughes, Stutzle, Zegras, K. Johnson, Kuzmenko, Tolvanen, Byfield, Cooley, Eklund, Evangelista, Knies
    D(6): Seider, Dahlin, Drysdale, Bouchard, Theodore, Mintyukov
    G(2): Andersen, Oettinger
    Bench (8):
    A Tomasino, Guenther, Coronato
    D Clarke, Boqvist, Drysdale, OEL
    G Levi

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Laine vs Marner

I was about to say yes, and then I saw "cap league".

I like Marner more than Laine in most leagues but when it comes to cap leagues, the difference goes away pretty quick. Not only are you helping him by taking his injured player from him (whos out for a month I'd say) and giving him a healthy body, you are helping his cap situation as well.

The only way I'd do this trade is if there was another piece in it that smoothes out the cap and helps you long term as well. If he isn't willing to do that, I'd say no thanks.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

Well, there's a lot of factors to consider here, but in a points league, it's a pretty straight comparison, so let's do some math!

Laine
    - I think the 2017/2018 season is a good representation of what he is. A 70-75 goal heavy forward, so we'll use that as a basis for his points, 50G, 25A for 125 Fpts.
    - Contract at $6,750,000 for 2 years, so currently he provides 18.5 Fpts per $1 million
    - That contract will likely go up, let's say $8.5 or $9 in two years, so 13.8 - 14.8 Fpts per $1million

Marner
    - Last year seems to be a good representation, so we'll say 90 points (down a tick from last year) 25G, 65A for 115 Fpts.
    - Contract at $10,893,000, so he provides 10.5 Fpts per $1 million

It's pretty clear that Laine is the better own in this league. I don't think you can make this trade without a pretty solid kicker added.

The added point for goals seals it. The only problem is Laine is streaky, and could put up stinker years like last year, where I think Marner will be pretty consistent and the less frustrating own. If you have loads of cap, I would consider taking on Marner for the stability, but I would still want a decent kicker added.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thanks for the advice guys! Was thinking along the same lines. I asked for a kicker and he countered by adding Caufield and a 2nd rounder but I have to give up a late 1st. I'd still have a decent amount of picks.

Still think he's asking too much since he gets the cap space for an extra year and more gosls but I think Caufield is going to be special...hasn't done anything yet but I have a feeling.

Opinions?

Dobber Sports Deity

Doesn't fix the salary debate for me. For me, I wouldn't want picks or prospects. Id want a way to smooth out the cap difference. You're still the one doing all the heavy lifting in my eyes.

I like Caufield but I don't like you giving up a 1st, with the rest of this deal, to get him. If anything, Caufield should be coming your way with nothing else but Laine going from yours.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think Laine's next contract is similar to Marner's but Marner's hurt, and costs more now. I'd pass.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.