Poll: Offended Yes or No?

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Anonymous Poll. Was Don Cherry's "you people come here" comment offensive?

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Anonymous Poll. Was Don Cherry's "you people come here" comment offensive?

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    That's a valid argument as far as I'm concerned, but the problem is that we're trying to move away from stereotyping. You can't go on air and blame Chinese people for causing all the traffic accidents.
    I can't say they do or not. There is a biased out there that they cause more accidents but I am not making that sweeping statement until I see the data to support. But what if it turned out they did and were trying to make our roads safer for everyone. Should the news state "everyone needs to be safer on the roads" or should they report that 66.3% of accidents are caused by Chinese people?
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Anonymous Poll. Was Don Cherry's "you people come here" comment offensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    The thing is I don't have a problem with him being fired. That was a business decision and probably the right one. My issue is with the SJW's again making a mountain out of a mole hill. Your dulling the blade of content, your literally removing people's opinions. And I am not talking one's that should be like white supremacy and all that garbage, I am talking the on the edge stuff which adds a little spice. No different than the Simpsons getting rid of Apu, he was a funny multi layered character on a comedy!
    Then that's more so about the medium of which the content is delivered and the entity of which is delivering it.

If you wanted to watch / read something about "socially unacceptable" topics, you could easily find those with a quick internet search or on other channels.

Mainstream media has come to this because of the rippling affect it has on society and the downstream affects are huge.

Just think about the thousands of people that started eating tide pods because they saw a funny video.

Also, certain injustices are coming more and more to light as people have more power and ability to communicate then ever before, so we are in an interesting time of transition and understanding.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

All you've done is help doulos make his point.
    And all you did was help me prove my point. I opened the door and you guys walked right through....

I made a comment without considering the context of doulos point. I didn't try figuring out what he was trying to say... I just jumped right into the words he used and the one comment he said. Maybe it was out of context... maybe not... but I don't care... I can make a big deal out of it and it works to my point. (Tongue shoved as far into my cheek as possible)

See how absurd it is to just look at the words and not use an ounce of logical thinking to interpret the meaning behind the message. Two way street fellas.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Star

I can't say they do or not. There is a biased out there that they cause more accidents but I am not making that sweeping statement until I see the data to support. But what if it turned out they did and were trying to make our roads safer for everyone. Should the news state "everyone needs to be safer on the roads" or should they report that 66.3% of accidents are caused by Chinese people?
    Is that what you think happened here?

Had Don said "studies show 90% of Canadian born citizens wear a poppy and only 70% of immigrants wear a poppy. Come on guys, show some support for your country whether you were born here or not!" That would be pretty different.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    And all you did was help me prove my point. I opened the door and you guys walked right through....

I made a comment without considering the context of doulos point. I didn't try figuring out what he was trying to say... I just jumped right into the words he used and the one comment he said. Maybe it was out of context... maybe not... but I don't care... I can make a big deal out of it and it works to my point. (Tongue shoved as far into my cheek as possible)

See how absurd it is to just look at the words and not use an ounce of logical thinking to interpret the meaning behind the message. Two way street fellas.

Exactly... anyone who can't see that Don's motive was not racist and that his intent was to get people to buy poppies... that is my reaction to as well.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Is that what you think happened here?

Had Don said "studies show 90% of Canadian born citizens wear a poppy and only 70% of immigrants wear a poppy. Come on guys, show some support for your country whether you were born here or not!" That would be pretty different.
    You keep making valid arguments forumname only to be countered with sloppy and ridiculous ones. There really is no use trying to lead these folks to rationality. Their minds are firmly made up and no amount of logic is going to change that.

Poor Don. Another victim of SJW's. Why is the country so thin skinned? They will be coming to take away Christmas next.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    You keep making valid arguments forumname only to be countered with sloppy and ridiculous ones. There really is no use trying to lead these folks to rationality. Their minds are firmly made up and no amount of logic is going to change that.
    Wow the mob mentality protects their own. He brought up the bias about Chinese drivers, I simply added some context to it, asking if that would be an acceptable hypothetically way to report the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post

Poor Don. Another victim of SJW's. Why is the country so thin skinned? They will be coming to take away Christmas next.
    As long as we are all on the same page about this one!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Star

Wow the mob mentality protects their own. He brought up the bias about Chinese drivers, I simply added some context to it, asking if that would be an acceptable hypothetically way to report the information.
    I'm not part of any mob you're trying to define and fight. I'm often on the other side of these arguments. But your 'context' wasn't really accurate...

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    As long as we are all on the same page about this one!!
    Hehe. Good on you to lighted the mood PenguinHunter. The crazy thing is I really could care less about this issue one way or the other. All I truly care about is my fantasy hockey teams picking up the damn pace a little bit
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Genius

Alright, I guess I will state this in closing. This poll has shown me that a lot of people were offended by the comment and although I wasn't, it's not my place to decide other peoples emotions. So until the next ridiculous SJW movement back to hockey.

Dobber Sports Star

At the end of the day, it's the polarization that's killing us. I've seen people ranting about how Cherry should be our prime minister (****ing stupid), and I've seen people ranting about how he's a horrible racist nazi monster (****ing stupid). Obviously the truth is somewhere in the middle. To me, he's a well intentioned patriot with some pretty outdated/biased views on the world beyond Canada. He crossed a line too may times and got fired. Big deal. Supporters here are crying about SJW's making a mountain out of a molehill, but that too goes both ways.

Dobber Sports Ninja

At the end of the day, it's the polarization that's killing us. I've seen people ranting about how Cherry should be our prime minister (****ing stupid), and I've seen people ranting about how he's a horrible racist nazi monster (****ing stupid). Obviously the truth is somewhere in the middle. To me, he's a well intentioned patriot with some pretty outdated/biased views on the world beyond Canada. He crossed a line too may times and got fired. Big deal. Supporters here are crying about SJW's making a mountain out of a molehill, but that too goes both ways.
    Agreed.

Dobber Sports Deity

I can't argue with this statement.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    I wrote this in a private forum in response to someone referring to Don Cherry as a 'dinosaur' in addition to all the SJW rhetoric. I am just going to copy it in full here:

If respecting and honouring Canadian Veterans makes you a dinosaur, then I guess I am one.

This insane Cancel Culture BS is creating an atmosphere of intimidation and fear in our country (and all of the West). Many of the people decrying Don Cherry more than likely voted for Trudeau last month. Wearing blackface more times than he can remember, kicking women out of the Cabinet because they don't toe the fake feminist line he pushes, and ethics violations are just fine with the SJW Leftist mob, but Don Cherry is a bigot because he is calling out people for not being aware or even interested in acknowledging the unbelievable sacrifices that our veterans have made and continue to make.

In my opinion this is "White Guilt" - the idea that Caucasians and the West are responsible for all the evil in the world while greedily exploiting the coloured folk (apparently democracy, human rights, medicine and educational systems are a blight on the globe) - and therefore they have to make up for it by pointing at other white people and calling them bad, which at the same time highlights the fact that they are one of the good ones. "See? I'm so anti-racist that I hate white people! I'm so virtuous! Not like those OTHER white people, they're the bad ones."

Additionally, if you are a "Person of Colour" (apparently that's what they've decided to call us now - it's better than "visible minority") who does not feel oppressed, does not have a resentment towards Caucasians or blame them for all your problems, you are out of the club. These leftist SJW's consider "minorities" inferior oppressed folk who are helpless and just don't know what's good for us - therefore we need custodians and shepherds to protect us and keep us in line when we start thinking for ourselves. If we aren't offended, they'll be offended for us whether we like it or not. And lucky for us, THEY KNOW WHAT WE NEED.

Both of my parents are immigrants to this country (I was born here) and they are in full agreement with Don, as am I. But that means they're out of the club and bad. Those immigrants' opinions don't count. Because.

And I'll leave you with this. Remember this next year you racist pigs, laying a wreath on Remembrance Day is just wrong and bigoted:

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/ubc-professor-...mony-1.4681008
    It's weird to walk into this thread to see people in support of xenophobia and ethnocentrism under the veil of rallying against enemies of free speech. This thread is people merely attaching your personal beliefs to a topic that meet tangentially. Posting with an agenda.

You may have the right to say whatever you want, but people also have the right to respond as they see fit. Actions have consequences. I feel bad for people that feel as though social justice is ruining their lives, that this cancel culture, mob mentality is somehow new, and not a staple of human nature. The only difference is that now with social platforms, people have a greater reach in which to voice their opinions. Shame serves an incredibly powerful and important role in our society. Without shame or consequences, how would people know right from wrong? That it's not okay to be racist. That it's wrong to rob, murder, pillage, rape?

I'm sorry that you feel displaced by a world that has evolved and grown in a way that is now completely foreign to you. It's difficult to break from the beliefs and values that are at the core of who you are. It's why people participate in identity politics, why you felt the need to bring politics into a discussion about xenophobia. So I understand why you feel the need to double down, that everyone else is wrong rather than admit to yourself that you no longer belong. It's at the crux of white supremacy, that's why you have mobs chanting "You will not replace us!". It comes from that same place; the world view that maligned groups no longer have a place, that their voices are being extinguished by "leftists", doomed to extinction by a rising tide of colour. No one wants to be a dinosaur.

I hope that you get help if you need it...to not live your life with hatred and vitriol because that kind of thing festers into something thick inside you.
    12 Team Roto., 30 Player (20 Keeper) Yahoo Dynasty

G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, FW, HITS, BLK -- W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

4 - C/LW/RW
    6 - D
    3 - Util
    3 - G

C - Crosby, McDavid, O'Reilly, Couturier
    LW - Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Bennett, Fiala
    RW - Pastrnak, Kucherov, Caufield, Mangiapane
    Util - Lowry, Backstrom, McCann, Barzal, Pageau, E. Kane, Mercer, M. Foligno
    D - Dahlin, Karlsson, Hamilton, Dumba, Pulock, Dobson, Faulk, Romanov

G - Vasilevskiy, Bobrovsky, Hellebuyck, Bernier