Poll: Offended Yes or No?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Anonymous Poll. Was Don Cherry's "you people come here" comment offensive?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Anonymous Poll. Was Don Cherry's "you people come here" comment offensive?

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    When I was a kid, 7 or 8, I was trying to pitch a softball, doing ok but not great. This guy on my team, who was playing second base, started chirping me, saying I suck and someone else should take over. I got upset. After the game my dad noticed something changed in me a bit and asked, so I told him. He gave me some advice I will never forget and I think many people never got told this, just judging by whats going on lately. He said "son, how do you feel about this guy? Do you like him? Do you respect him?" I said "No dad, he is a bully and a fool". My dad replied "then why does what he said matter to you?". Simple and effective. All cleaned up, im my head, and Ive never been insulted ever again.

Don Cherry, blah blah, it isnt the point. The point is that one day, the way we are trending its gonna be you. You will have good intentions, but be misunderstood, and you will burn for it. Or worse yet itll be me. I'm still struggling to find this new rule book of life but I sure hope I do before the bus runs me over. Or people can thicken up, focus on their own shortcomings and forget about all the word daggers that are meaningless. Getting offended is easy and lazy, looking past it is much harder to do but make life easier to deal with.

/done with this

This is such a terrific post. +++1

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Anonymous Poll. Was Don Cherry's "you people come here" comment offensive?

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    When I was a kid, 7 or 8, I was trying to pitch a softball, doing ok but not great. This guy on my team, who was playing second base, started chirping me, saying I suck and someone else should take over. I got upset. After the game my dad noticed something changed in me a bit and asked, so I told him. He gave me some advice I will never forget and I think many people never got told this, just judging by whats going on lately. He said "son, how do you feel about this guy? Do you like him? Do you respect him?" I said "No dad, he is a bully and a fool". My dad replied "then why does what he said matter to you?". Simple and effective. All cleaned up, im my head, and Ive never been insulted ever again.

Don Cherry, blah blah, it isnt the point. The point is that one day, the way we are trending its gonna be you. You will have good intentions, but be misunderstood, and you will burn for it. Or worse yet itll be me. I'm still struggling to find this new rule book of life but I sure hope I do before the bus runs me over. Or people can thicken up, focus on their own shortcomings and forget about all the word daggers that are meaningless. Getting offended is easy and lazy, looking past it is much harder to do but make life easier to deal with.

/done with this
    This is great too. People are losing the skill or mental capacity to have any shed of thick skin. I seen a post on my facebook the other day from my 24 year old niece, who is a smart girl but can't hold a job, talking about how society has groomed us to feel bad about taking a sick day off of work. And I was like yup, that is why your unemployed. I am not even that old myself but the next wave coming is going to be something.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I don’t really get what the need for a separate poll thread was. Same stuff is being said here that’s in the original one.

For the sake of answering the thread, sure. I guess his comments were “offensive” considering that’s what he got fired for. “You people that come here” was uncalled for considering Canadian born citizens do lack of poppies just as much. But then again, I also sincerely believe he meant good intent for raising awareness but as we all know obviously butchered his wording.

...long story short, anyone strictly on either end of the argument is likely wrong. The answer lies in the middle and you need an open mindedness to be able to see it and acknowledge both sides.
    H2H weekly matchups | 12 teams | 2C • 3W • 3D • 1UTIL • 2G • 3BN • 2IR+ | 3 weekly moves

Scoring | 4G, 3A, 0.3+/-, 1PPP, 5SHG, 3SHA, 3GWG, 0.4SOG, 0.2FW, -0.2FL, 0.3HIT, 0.3BLK | 4W, -1GA, 0.25SV, 6SHO

ROSTER:
    (C,W) Stamkos, Giroux
    (C) Barkov, Couturier
    (W) M.Tkachuk, Konecny, Svechnikov, Caufield
    (D) Josi, Morrissey, Theodore, Sanderson
    (G) Bobrovsky, Husso
    (IR+) Vasilevskiy, Matheson

Record: 2-1-0

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks13 View Post
    I don’t really get what the need for a separate poll thread was. Same stuff is being said here that’s in the original one.

For the sake of answering the thread, sure. I guess his comments were “offensive” considering that’s what he got fired for. “You people that come here” was uncalled for considering Canadian born citizens do lack of poppies just as much. But then again, I also sincerely believe he meant good intent for raising awareness but as we all know obviously butchered his wording.

...long story short, anyone strictly on either end of the argument is likely wrong. The answer lies in the middle and you need an open mindedness to be able to see it and acknowledge both sides.
    I guess I don't understand why we have to assume he meant only that anyone should get poppies. It seems very clear that he specifically meant to point out "the others" because he specifically said that. He was intentional about what he said. It was textbook angry old man talk and people are sick and tired of it. Time marches on. See ya in the rear view mirror Don.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Last night I just voted and didn't post because I saw anonymous....3 pages later haha

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I guess I don't understand why we have to assume he meant only that anyone should get poppies. It seems very clear that he specifically meant to point out "the others" because he specifically said that. He was intentional about what he said. It was textbook angry old man talk and people are sick and tired of it. Time marches on. See ya in the rear view mirror Don.
    We don't have to assume anything. Anyone that is looking at the big picture of what he was saying realized that the main objective was to support the veterans and troops and try to motivate people to get more poppies. Yes... his wording was not that of an English Major Professor... but what do we expect from an 85 old man that played hockey most his life.

Anyone else is just looking for a reason to complain and make a mountain out of a mole hill.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Yes, he wanted people to buy a poppy. Particularly those who come to Canada to take advantage of our wonderful system. Particularly those others.
    Is this comment not right along the same path as what Don said... how dare you suggest that they come here to take advantage of our wonderful system?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Ninja

You dont say...

You dont say...
    Impactful comment... forget to reply with a quote??

​​

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Is this comment not right along the same path as what Don said... how dare you suggest that they come here to take advantage of our wonderful system?
    All you've done is help doulos make his point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    We don't have to assume anything. Anyone that is looking at the big picture of what he was saying realized that the main objective was to support the veterans and troops and try to motivate people to get more poppies. Yes... his wording was not that of an English Major Professor... but what do we expect from an 85 old man that played hockey most his life.

Anyone else is just looking for a reason to complain and make a mountain out of a mole hill.
    Wrong again. He was trying to motivate IMMIGRANTS, SPECIFICALLY!

Dobber Sports Genius

I just heard James Duthie say it perfectly on Edmonton radio. He said he has re framed from making a comment on this because if he supports Don Cherry he would be considered a a far right biggot and he hates how polarizing this society has come with no room for grey. He also stated that although he doesn't agree with what Don says, that people are making him out to be a monster when he has a lot of good in him.

Exactly my point these overreactions are dulling our society. People can't even express their true opinions on things anymore because of fear of ridicule. Quotes from the legion were made on this thread, condoning Don Cherry but of coarse they were. It's not smart to associated yourself with him publicly due to the witch hunt that has ensued. Who know's what their real opinion is because people have no appetite for differences of opinion.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    I just heard James Duthie say it perfectly on Edmonton radio. He said he has re framed from making a comment on this because if he supports Don Cherry he would be considered a a far right biggot and he hates how polarizing this society has come with no room for grey. He also stated that although he doesn't agree with what Don says, that people are making him out to be a monster when he has a lot of good in him.

Exactly my point these overreactions are dulling our society. People can't even express their true opinions on things anymore because of fear of ridicule. Quotes from the legion were made on this thread, condoning Don Cherry but of coarse they were. It's not smart to associated yourself with him publicly due to the witch hunt that has ensued. Who know's what their real opinion is because people have no appetite for differences of opinion.
    I think you need also understand the context of people in the media or in the "spotlight" and the affect they have on people who watch them, that is why there is such a high degree of consequence.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    All you've done is help doulos make his point.

- - - Updated - - -

Wrong again. He was trying to motivate IMMIGRANTS, SPECIFICALLY!
    So what if he was, it was about them not wearing poppys not them being evil and having to be deported. Should he have opened up his stance and brought everyone into the discussion maybe. But in his mind and he's always been about his own opinion, it has worked well for his career, is that immigrants are the problem when it comes to poppy wearing. Let's say the LA Kings have a problem with Kovalchuk's effort should they speak to him directly or open it up to the rest of team who in their minds are playing hard.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    So what if he was, it was about them not wearing poppys not them being evil and having to be deported. Should he have opened up his stance and brought everyone into the discussion maybe. But in his mind and he's always been about his own opinion, it has worked well for his career, is that immigrants are the problem when it comes to poppy wearing. Let's say the LA Kings have a problem with Kovalchuk's effort should they speak to him directly or open it up to the rest of team who in their minds are playing hard.
    That's a valid argument as far as I'm concerned, but the problem is that we're trying to move away from stereotyping. You can't go on air and blame Chinese people for causing all the traffic accidents.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    I think you need also understand the context of people in the media or in the "spotlight" and the affect they have on people who watch them, that is why there is such a high degree of consequence.
    The thing is I don't have a problem with him being fired. That was a business decision and probably the right one. My issue is with the SJW's again making a mountain out of a mole hill. Your dulling the blade of content, your literally removing people's opinions. And I am not talking one's that should be like white supremacy and all that garbage, I am talking the on the edge stuff which adds a little spice. No different than the Simpsons getting rid of Apu, he was a funny multi layered character on a comedy!