Poll: Offended Yes or No?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Anonymous Poll. Was Don Cherry's "you people come here" comment offensive?

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Anonymous Poll. Was Don Cherry's "you people come here" comment offensive?

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Next we're going to have a poll to determine whether or not the wording of this poll is offensive
    Haha.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Anonymous Poll. Was Don Cherry's "you people come here" comment offensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    All, I stand by my wording. I was arguing in the other thread that I am shocked people were "offended" by his comment. And yes the small sample size according to my poll is proving that people are in fact offended by such a minor comment. Lastly people saying I don't understand how a poll on a hockey website means anything should read the below.

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/co...on-the-social/
    Actually, what I mean is that by running a poll on a hockey website you are choosing your audience very specifically for people who already enjoy hockey,and are possibly (I'd say probably) more likely to see Don Cherry in a more positive light. You get results which are skewed by the polling sample. In other words, it loses a lot of it's value.

Of course there is no assumption that this poll is useful for anything really, so fire away and have fun with it. Just realize that it's pretty much useless for anything outside of gauging opinions here at Dobberhockey.

I have no idea what your link (as interesting as it is and worthy of discussion elsewhere) has to do with the problems of using highly specific population samples for polling.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Pro

This poll does nothing but keep picking at the scab of the righteous indignation of Cherry supporters. It will resolve nothing and only cause people to dig in more. Give it up and move along already.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    He just wanted everyone to buy a damn poppy!!!!
    Exactly!!! God bless you.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Actually, what I mean is that by running a poll on a hockey website you are choosing your audience very specifically for people who already enjoy hockey,and are possibly (I'd say probably) more likely to see Don Cherry in a more positive light. You get results which are skewed by the polling sample. In other words, it loses a lot of it's value.
    Actually, the results would probably be more skewed and lose more value if he had polled people who do not enjoy hockey or are indifferent about it. After all, it is only hockey viewers who will either be happy or sad about Cherry's future absence.
    Also, "it's" means IT IS. You're welcome.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    Actually, the results would probably be more skewed and lose more value if he had polled people who do not enjoy hockey or are indifferent about it. After all, it is only hockey viewers who will either be happy or sad about Cherry's future absence.
    For someone who points the finger calling others sensitive you're acting pretty sensitive yourself!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

God damn it's satisfying when someone breaks out the grammar rule book. So satisfying and special.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    For someone who points the finger calling others sensitive you're acting pretty sensitive yourself!
    I think you are inferring something that isn't there. All caps can be used to show emphasis, not necessarily emotion.

Dobber Sports Ninja

People who never watch hockey or Don Cherry can still find what he said to be offensive, and want him off the air. I guess it all depends on the goal of the poll. I don't suspect accuracy is really a concern in any regards. Its not my poll though.

Dobber Sports Padawan

People who never watch hockey or Don Cherry can still find what he said to be offensive, and want him off the air. I guess it all depends on the goal of the poll. I don't suspect accuracy is really a concern in any regards. Its not my poll though.
    Why would they want him off the air if they don't watch hockey ?! lol
    And if they do want him off the air anyway, well, there you go with the hilarious nature of cancel culture.

Dobber Sports Icon

I wrote this in a private forum in response to someone referring to Don Cherry as a 'dinosaur' in addition to all the SJW rhetoric. I am just going to copy it in full here:

If respecting and honouring Canadian Veterans makes you a dinosaur, then I guess I am one.

This insane Cancel Culture BS is creating an atmosphere of intimidation and fear in our country (and all of the West). Many of the people decrying Don Cherry more than likely voted for Trudeau last month. Wearing blackface more times than he can remember, kicking women out of the Cabinet because they don't toe the fake feminist line he pushes, and ethics violations are just fine with the SJW Leftist mob, but Don Cherry is a bigot because he is calling out people for not being aware or even interested in acknowledging the unbelievable sacrifices that our veterans have made and continue to make.

In my opinion this is "White Guilt" - the idea that Caucasians and the West are responsible for all the evil in the world while greedily exploiting the coloured folk (apparently democracy, human rights, medicine and educational systems are a blight on the globe) - and therefore they have to make up for it by pointing at other white people and calling them bad, which at the same time highlights the fact that they are one of the good ones. "See? I'm so anti-racist that I hate white people! I'm so virtuous! Not like those OTHER white people, they're the bad ones."

Additionally, if you are a "Person of Colour" (apparently that's what they've decided to call us now - it's better than "visible minority") who does not feel oppressed, does not have a resentment towards Caucasians or blame them for all your problems, you are out of the club. These leftist SJW's consider "minorities" inferior oppressed folk who are helpless and just don't know what's good for us - therefore we need custodians and shepherds to protect us and keep us in line when we start thinking for ourselves. If we aren't offended, they'll be offended for us whether we like it or not. And lucky for us, THEY KNOW WHAT WE NEED.

Both of my parents are immigrants to this country (I was born here) and they are in full agreement with Don, as am I. But that means they're out of the club and bad. Those immigrants' opinions don't count. Because.

And I'll leave you with this. Remember this next year you racist pigs, laying a wreath on Remembrance Day is just wrong and bigoted:

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/ubc-professor-...mony-1.4681008

Administrator

I think you are inferring something that isn't there. All caps can be used to show emphasis, not necessarily emotion.
    OK whatever you say

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

To me that is the bigger issue here. Because of media and people who make it their mission to point out every social infraction, more people are in turn "hurt" by what was said because of the attention brought to it. I'm speaking generally.

Voted "No" even though i felt he was talking to me at the time. Then I was told by the masses that he was in fact not directing his comments at me, and then I became offended because I was not included.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I personally think it was very clear what he intended to say - and it came out exactly that way. Anything he's said after the fact is back tracking.

And yes it's offensive - but naturally it won't be offensive to a demographic of old white dudes (which consists of the majority of hockey fans).