Poll: Offended Yes or No?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Anonymous Poll. Was Don Cherry's "you people come here" comment offensive?

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Anonymous Poll. Was Don Cherry's "you people come here" comment offensive?

“You people ... that come here, whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey,” Cherry said. “At least you could pay a couple of bucks for poppies or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life, that you enjoy in Canada.”

Don Cherry.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Anonymous Poll. Was Don Cherry's "you people come here" comment offensive?

I think the poll should have been worded 'offensive'. Not offended.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Anonymous Poll. Was Don Cherry's "you people come here" comment offensive?

Is your question, was I offended or was the comment offensive? Those are two completely different questions.

The comment was definitely offensive yet I was not offended as I don't care at all what any body says about me so I am very difficult to offend.

Dobber Sports Padawan

If you were offended by Cherry, or considered it offensive, I would recommend you avoid Chapelle's latest comedy show "Sticks and Stones."
    You'll be traumatized for months, maybe years, and will probably have to quit your career for a while.
    And there's nothing wrong with that.
    Some people believe in "Sticks and Stones." Some don't. I personally think society would be better off if more people did, but who knows.

Dobber Sports Star

Poor choice of words, just like the incident itself.

Dobber Sports Guru

Thinking of starting a second poll:

Firing of an 85-year-old man after years of warnings regarding his inappropriate conduct at work:
    Are you offended? Yes / No

There's so much reaction to how "triggered" people were to Cherry's comments--I think the real overreaction has been to those who feel all of their freedoms are being taken away because an entertainment company made a business decision to protect what is certainly a target demographic (non-traditional hockey fans).

Time for this whole ordeal to fade away....
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Deity

He just wanted everyone to buy a damn poppy!!!!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Taken from a sample size of people who really enjoy hockey...

Dobber Sports Veteran

What do you hope to prove with this poll data?
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    What do you hope to prove with this poll data?
    I assume the hope was that there was indeed a "silent majority", like Don Cherry suggested, that agreed with his statements.

Of course a poll on a hockey website is not a great way to achieve this, and even still it looks like it's not bringing about the desired result.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    He just wanted everyone to buy a damn poppy!!!!
    Excatly!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Veteran

Intent and impact are two very different things.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    Intent and impact are two very different things.
    Exactly! Whatever message he wanted to convey was swamped by the words he chose.

Dobber Sports Genius

All, I stand by my wording. I was arguing in the other thread that I am shocked people were "offended" by his comment. And yes the small sample size according to my poll is proving that people are in fact offended by such a minor comment. Lastly people saying I don't understand how a poll on a hockey website means anything should read the below.

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/co...on-the-social/
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Administrator

Next we're going to have a poll to determine whether or not the wording of this poll is offensive

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust