Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Cherry no longer with Coach's Corner

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Don Cherry no longer with Coach's Corner

I don't really get the outrage from some. He worked for an entertainment company, and their entire aim is to add viewers. He said stupid crap that isolated many of those viewers. Nobody tunes in to hear his rants against immigrants, so it's doubtful they lose any viewers (long term--there might be some that boycott initially, but the lockouts have proven that fans will come back to the sport), and they can only hope to gain. It's a business decision. Nothing more.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Didn’t Rogers implement an 8 second delay a few years back with Coach’s corner ... and if so, why didn’t Roger’s bleep it out?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by cullitons View Post
    Didn’t Rogers implement an 8 second delay a few years back with Coach’s corner ... and if so, why didn’t Roger’s bleep it out?
    That was CBC like 15 years ago

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

Even if the main broadcast is now live (which I don't believe it is) the other games air a delayed version since the intermissions end at different times. From what I read on twitter, none of the broadcasts took out anything.

Dobber Sports Genius

The problem I have with all of this is less to do with Don Cherry really being a racist at heart and more to do with the masses being triggered by so little. I should be able to say that " public schools should continue to celebrate Christmas" and you should be able to rebuttal with " but this could make young children of different nationalities feel excluded", I then should be able to say " we then how do we make them feel included" and so on. No different then Cherrys comment. A rebuttal could be that you see a lot of young Canadians not wearing poppys as well and we need to find ways to make remembrance day a bigger deal in general. This immediate witch hunt and over reaction will kill and yes censor constructive conversations.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I hate to include myself in this pointless argument but I think had he chosen to suggest that all kinds of people don't seem to care about Remembrance Day rather than potentially singling out a group things would have been just fine. Broad generalizations are kind of his bread and butter though so it's no surprise.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    The problem I have with all of this is less to do with Don Cherry really being a racist at heart and more to do with the masses being triggered by so little. I should be able to say that " public schools should continue to celebrate Christmas" and you should be able to rebuttal with " but this could make young children of different nationalities feel excluded", I then should be able to say " we then how do we make them feel included" and so on. No different then Cherrys comment. A rebuttal could be that you see a lot of young Canadians not wearing poppys as well and we need to find ways to make remembrance day a bigger deal in general. This immediate witch hunt and over reaction will kill and yes censor constructive conversations.
    And if he said, "public schools should continue to celebrate Christmas" he wouldn't have been fired. But if he said "you people come here and want our milk and honey, but want to take Christmas away from our kids' schools" (which is more what he said), it might be a different story. Although I also think the context of Remembrance Day and veterans, which are more tied to outward expressions of national identity and belonging, make for different stakes than "merry Christmas."

That said, I believe had he clarified and apologized for the comment, he would still have the job.

Dobber Sports Master

I work with a few fellas from the middle east and they were both wearing poppies even before halloween .

Dobber Sports Titan

Anyone who thinks Don Cherry isn't talking about immigrants is living in a world with unicorns and lollipops growing from trees. He's a pretty large racist/xenophobic and the stuff he's said on TV lines up with that. There's now lists of things he's said in the past out there https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/don-ch...ents-1.4680505

My feelings on this are really just 3 points:
    1. His content has been out-of-date for years
    2. Tough to see Coaches Corner end like this
    3. He's been on thin ice for years. If he wasn't so polarizing, the amount of people calling for his firing would have been lower, and prolly SN wouldn't have fired him.

So whatever, glad he's off the air.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

And anyone who thinks his end goal wasn't more to support the Veterans than to belittle immigrants doesn't know their head from their arsehole and simply is looking for a reason to be happy that he's off the air. His wording was off, but his intent was clear.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I've been saying it for years but I think Don would have been fantastic as host of Hockey Day in Canada. He loves the local stories and local people. He could even bring a few local veterans on the show around this time of year. He's not a bad person and I think he has a lot to offer society in 2019. He just isn't the best guy for the Coach's Corner spot which is in prime time and covers 21st century hockey.
    Late to the posts here but that's a great point Eric. That or at least a tape delay probably would have been the right route for him to go. I agree with his notion that everyone should buy a poppy.....but obviously the way he said it is the problem.

I grew up with Rockem Sockem but I haven't paid attention to Coach's Corner in years.

Sad to see it end this way but I don't think anyone is really surprised.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Naw man. To be honest I agree that people are generally way too sensitive but Don overstepped here.

I agree that fundamentally his message is not wrong. I think that over time, people will begin to forget the sacrifices that were made to provide us with the life we're able to live now. For some, they come to Canada and don't know the history, and maybe don't understand the significance. Don had an opportunity to come out on a big broadcast and just pop in a, 'hey, support the veterans, support the fallen troops that sacrificed everything to give us this wonderful country we ALL live in.' Instead he comes out with massive rant targeting immigrants. Hell he could have even yelled at millenials for this exact problem and he would have sent the same message with less backlash. But hey, it's who Don is. I'm sad to see him go for all the hockey takes and the funny pronunciations, but he is 100% a racist at his core. Chalk it up to the old days maybe, but I've been listening to him rip on Europeans and how soft they are for almost 2 decades. Call a spade a spade.

Also, Brian Burke has no on-camera charisma and I'll be turning the first intermission off if he's the one to replace Grapes. Also comes up with the dumbest fking ideas i've ever heard (shot clock in over-time wtf)
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Sage

I'm a tall white male and a 5th generarion Canadian. I didn't buy a poppy this year.

I feel like Don was addressing me and that he's right, I should have made a point to pick one up. That's on me. I won't make excuses for it and I won't make that mistake again next year.

Don showed distain for everyone, like me, that couldn't take the time or be bothered to pick up a poppy and show support for the people that fought and died for this country.

Don's passion for this issue relays to me that he really doesn't care when you/me or our ancestors came to Canada, his objective was very clearly to support the Vets and get that message out.

Did he choose the best language? No.

Did he use his platform maliciously? No.

Did he break any laws? No.

Is he automatically a racist or biggot because of this incident? No.

Should he have been fired for it? No.

Are a decent amount of the folks calling for Cherry's head and getting righteous about this incident missing the bigger point? I think yes.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    I'm a tall white male and a 5th generarion Canadian. I didn't buy a poppy this year.

I feel like Don was addressing me and that he's right, I should have made a point to pick one up. That's on me. I won't make excuses for it and I won't make that mistake again next year.

Don showed distain for everyone, like me, that couldn't take the time or be bothered to pick up a poppy and show support for the people that fought and died for this country.

Don's passion for this issue relays to me that he really doesn't care when you/me or our ancestors came to Canada, his objective was very clearly to support the Vets and get that message out.

Did he choose the best language? No.

Did he use his platform maliciously? No.

Did he break any laws? No.

Is he automatically a racist or biggot because of this incident? No.

Should he have been fired for it? No.

Are a decent amount of the folks calling for Cherry's head and getting righteous about this incident missing the bigger point? I think yes.
    This is white privilege in a nut shell
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    This is white privilege in a nut shell
    I mean disagree with me and we can have a dialogue about it. Or predictably label me with the go to move, I get how that's easier. Congrats on being first 11 minutes after I posted. Several others will read it later and wish they beat you to it.

Sam Harris has an excellent Ted talk on morality. This thread made me think of it and re-watch it (it's been a few years). If anyone's interested here's the link:

https://youtu.be/Hj9oB4zpHww
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):