Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Cherry no longer with Coach's Corner

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Don Cherry no longer with Coach's Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    I think I might join the left political correctness mob. It's like a shield of invincibility. You can pick and choose what is right and wrong and if anyone argues with you their biggots. Trudeau wearing black face and firing strong female cabinet members, all good. Don Cherry saying "you people", burn the witch!
    You are grasping, and this is a false equivalency. The people of Canada choose the Prime Minister. They were aware of his blackface fiasco and they chose him anyway. No question; Trudeau was an idiot for doing it. Lots of people think it was stupid, but not racially motivated. I am sure that there are people who think Trudeau is a racist as well, and this is a perfect indication of that. Don Cherry has said racist comments for years. He was not voted in. He is paid by an employer who grew tired of his racism, and they fired him for it.

Rylant

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    We keep being asked to have more empathy. Let's have a little empathy for an old man who has spent more time as a Canadian than most of us. Take a minute to imagine who much this country has changed in his lifetime and especially how fast it has changed in the last 10-15 years. His message came from the heart for the people who died fighting for the flag, and he was just trying to remind us, or maybe inform us of the sacrifices made to get us to a place where we can openly share our OPINIONS without being crucified or jailed. (At least that's what I thought a free country was.)
    He's not being blocked from sharing his opinions. His employer decided they're not going to let him do it on their show. He's not going to jail. lol

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    He's not being blocked from sharing his opinions. His employer decided they're not going to let him do it on their show. He's not going to jail. lol
    Agreed. People often think that "Freedom of speech" means that you can say what you want with no consequences. Simply not true. Yes, he will not go to jail for speaking his mind. Try posting on Facebook how much of a piece of shit company you work for and how much of a jackass your boss is, and then claim that they can't fire you based on your Freedom of Speech protection and see how far that gets you.

Rylant

Dobber Sports All-Star

I'm quite sure he was on a short leash going into the season. This was coming and it was just a matter of time. Good for him for all he has done for the veterens and hopefully his replacement will do the same, but he was very transparent when it came to non Canadians and got away with it for way too long.

The Great One

Why don't you people stop being a keyboard warrior and start buying poppies

Administrator

I've been saying it for years but I think Don would have been fantastic as host of Hockey Day in Canada. He loves the local stories and local people. He could even bring a few local veterans on the show around this time of year. He's not a bad person and I think he has a lot to offer society in 2019. He just isn't the best guy for the Coach's Corner spot which is in prime time and covers 21st century hockey.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Star

It it that obvious?? I thought he was talking to me. Because I didn't buy a poppy and am very much enjoying the milk and honey. I am one of "you people".

Again, nothing clear about "you people" - if you connect that phrase with racism you are really really trying dig for something.
    To me it's got absolutely nothing to do with the words "you people". Yes, I completely agree that that can be directed at any group of people (all Canadians, for example), and on it's own has absolutely nothing to do with race. BUT, he said "you people COME HERE..." He's clearly not talking about all Canadians! He's specifically talking about new Canadians (immigrants). I really can't even fathom how people can make the argument that he wasn't singling out immigrants with that comment.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Fair enough. The reference to jail is merely to consider what this country could look like "if sacrifices for our freedom" were not made. That is how they justify war and support for its continuance from what I understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    You are grasping, and this is a false equivalency. The people of Canada choose the Prime Minister. They were aware of his blackface fiasco and they chose him anyway. No question; Trudeau was an idiot for doing it. Lots of people think it was stupid, but not racially motivated. I am sure that there are people who think Trudeau is a racist as well, and this is a perfect indication of that. Don Cherry has said racist comments for years. He was not voted in. He is paid by an employer who grew tired of his racism, and they fired him for it.

Rylant
    They should have fired him for a clearer infraction imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Agreed. People often think that "Freedom of speech" means that you can say what you want with no consequences. Simply not true. Yes, he will not go to jail for speaking his mind. Try posting on Facebook how much of a piece of shit company you work for and how much of a jackass your boss is, and then claim that they can't fire you based on your Freedom of Speech protection and see how far that gets you.

Rylant
    I get that, and you are right, but he didn't say anything like that. My mistake for adding an unnecessary variable to the conversation (freedom of speech).
    Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    I'm quite sure he was on a short leash going into the season. This was coming and it was just a matter of time. Good for him for all he has done for the veterens and hopefully his replacement will do the same, but he was very transparent when it came to non Canadians and got away with it for way too long.
    His replacement may as well be an allergy free peanut butter sandwich and some fat free soy milk. But really, I'd be glad if they got someone to talk about hockey and hockey life and leave the rest for other platforms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Why don't you people stop being a keyboard warrior and start buying poppies
    Seems like everyone is hammering keys here, the poppied and unpoppied alike. I know you were just joking.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    Give it up. I'm not engaging you. Nothing more boring on here than watching two people go back and forth.
    Yawwwwwwwn
    I disagree. I enjoy seeing people going back and forth. HF Boards is good for that.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    To me it's got absolutely nothing to do with the words "you people". Yes, I completely agree that that can be directed at any group of people (all Canadians, for example), and on it's own has absolutely nothing to do with race. BUT, he said "you people COME HERE..." He's clearly not talking about all Canadians! He's specifically talking about new Canadians (immigrants). I really can't even fathom how people can make the argument that he wasn't singling out immigrants with that comment.
    If you are taking the side that this was a target statement against immigrants, then you must also account for the fact that aside from the nomadic first nations of North America, we all CAME HERE.

A question for you. Is he right in his statement? Are newer Canadians not embracing and supporting our history? Ignore for a moment that what he said is not acceptable in your opinion.

Dobber Sports Pro

I'm in before the thread lock!

Dobber Sports Master

I don’t agree with the way cherry shared his message. In a better world, he would have been brought to water to understand he could have shared his message in a better way. Many people don’t understand the importance or the culture of Remembrance Day and it isn’t just new Canadians as cherry suggested. I think education is warranted there on all counts. I think his length of tenure should have gotten him more respect than the corporate Rogers board gave him and I don’t agree with termination here, but Rogers is likely suffering as a company and can’t chance a bad hint at their brand. So that’s it.

I like your hockey day idea Éric. I don’t like this at all though. Cherry is an institution and I don’t think he deserved this fate for what is really on the lighter side of the comments he’s made over the years. sign of the times Rogers lives in I guess.

Dobber Sports Star

Aside from the nomadic first nations of North America, we all CAME HERE. If you are looking to side with complete accuracy then you have to account for that.
    Ugh, not really. I personally did not come here. Some of my ancestors definitely did, but I didn't. Thus, cherry was not talking to me with his comment. He was talking to people born elsewhere.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    I don’t agree with the way cherry shared his message. In a better world, he would have been brought to water to understand he could have shared his message in a better way. Many people don’t understand the importance or the culture of Remembrance Day and it isn’t just new Canadians as cherry suggested. I think education is warranted there on all counts. I think his length of tenure should have gotten him more respect than the corporate Rogers board gave him and I don’t agree with termination here, but Rogers is likely suffering as a company and can’t chance a bad hint at their brand. So that’s it.

I like your hockey day idea Éric. I don’t like this at all though. Cherry is an institution and I don’t think he deserved this fate for what is really on the lighter side of the comments he’s made over the years. sign of the times Rogers lives in I guess.
    Cherry's length of tenure is exactly why he's done. This wasn't even remotely close to a one off situation.