Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Cherry no longer with Coach's Corner

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Don Cherry no longer with Coach's Corner

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    "you people come here, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey"

He's obviously talking about immigrants, so what the **** are you talking about?
    I already explained what I was talking about.
    Maybe calm down and move on. #triggered!

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Sportsnet was already bleeding money and they just fired the only true cash cow they had.

Good luck Sportsnet!
    What is interesting is that they are slowly getting rid of the old guard there. In the last couple of years, they've gotten rid of Healy, Kyperos, MacLean and now Cherry.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    I already explained what I was talking about.
    Maybe calm down and move on. #triggered!
    No you didn't.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Remember when Cherry kissed Nazem Kadri on air?
    Hmmm

Thank God the hatred of Don the bigot is finally gone forever!!!

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    Remember when Cherry kissed Nazem Kadri on air?
    Hmmm

Thank God the hatred of Don the bigot is finally gone forever!!!
    Another completely irrelevant comment. Do you know the difference between a non-white person and an immigrant?

Cherry was clearly calling out recent immigrants specifically for not buying poppies. There are plenty of ways to defend that, but saying he wasn't singling out immigrants isn't one of them.

Dobber Sports Stud

Don Cherry has always been a strong supporter of our military & police - especially those who died while in the line of duty. He definitely crossed the line with his comments, it's unfortunate that's what he will be remembered for.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Another completely irrelevant comment. Do you know the difference between a non-white person and an immigrant?

Cherry was clearly calling out recent immigrants specifically for not buying poppies. There are plenty of ways to defend that, but saying he wasn't singling out immigrants isn't one of them.
    Give it up. I'm not engaging you. Nothing more boring on here than watching two people go back and forth.
    Yawwwwwwwn

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bulls View Post
    Don Cherry has always been a strong supporter of our military & police - especially those who died while in the line of duty. He definitely crossed the line with his comments, it's unfortunate that's what he will be remembered for.
    I don't think it's one of those cases where his entire legacy is destroyed unfairly. He's been on a slippery slope for years, and nobody is surprised. I think he'll be remembered fairly, for both his positive and negative traits and contributions. I was starting to get tired of his abrasive old-school-ness myself, but you'd have to pry my Rock'Em Sock'em tapes from my cold dead hands. His legacy is fine, it was just his time to go.

Dobber Sports Ninja

He's obviously talking about immigrants, so what the **** are you talking about?
    If you need to try and explain it, then it's not worth your time. This was an easy decision by Sportsnet.

Dobber Sports Deity

Anyone else find it funny that for years, Don has crapped on Quebecers, Russians, Europeans and really anyone who wasn't Canadian and this is the thing that Sportsnet finally said this is enough.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

Anyone else find it funny that for years, Don has crapped on Quebecers, Russians, Europeans and really anyone who wasn't Canadian and this is the thing that Sportsnet finally said this is enough.
    I think I might join the left political correctness mob. It's like a shield of invincibility. You can pick and choose what is right and wrong and if anyone argues with you their biggots. Trudeau wearing black face and firing strong female cabinet members, all good. Don Cherry saying "you people", burn the witch!
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don't think it's funny. I think it's great. Society is changing and leaving those who are unwilling to change with it behind.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

In part, the times changed (even in hockey, thankfully) and he didn't. Those comments against Russian and Europeans and Quebecois (and a lot of this was during the 90s wave of nationalism in Quebec when the Canadianness of Quebecois was contested) were typically in the context of them being inferior/less manly hockey players and (mostly) not about anything beyond that. And there were people criticizing him on that for decades. But I think there is a difference between saying what he often said, that some non-Canadians are less good at hockey than good old Canadian boys, and implying that immigrants are less Canadian than other Canadians.

Administrator

Looking beyond the political BS his content has been low quality for many many years.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

It it that obvious?? I thought he was talking to me. Because I didn't buy a poppy and am very much enjoying the milk and honey. I am one of "you people".
    What is irrelevant is making a distinction between the two in this case.
    Again, nothing clear about "you people" - if you connect that phrase with racism you are really really trying dig for something.
    Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    If you need to try and explain it, then it's not worth your time. This was an easy decision by Sportsnet.
    Easy decision because of another outcry.
    And he finally gets canned for crapping on Candians in general. The irony.
    Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I don't think it's funny. I think it's great. Society is changing and leaving those who are unwilling to change with it behind.
    I hope you will find a way to like it, I think its gonna suck based on the samples I'm tasting.

We keep being asked to have more empathy. Let's have a little empathy for an old man who has spent more time as a Canadian than most of us. Take a minute to imagine who much this country has changed in his lifetime and especially how fast it has changed in the last 10-15 years. His message came from the heart for the people who died fighting for the flag, and he was just trying to remind us, or maybe inform us of the sacrifices made to get us to a place where we can openly share our OPINIONS without being crucified or jailed. (At least that's what I thought a free country was.)