Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Cherry no longer with Coach's Corner

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Don Cherry no longer with Coach's Corner

I didn't even think it was that bad. It was worded poorly but really all he's saying is buy a poppy to support the country and people who fought for it that you now live in. People are way too sensitive these days. Cherry has been out of touch for awhile but this comment shouldn't of been the straw that broke the camels back.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Dikoi View Post
    This is sad, when he stuck to talking about hockey, Coach’s Corner was a great segment. I for one will be missing it. Time to move on I guess.
    It is a sad day. I think most people are a little too young to fully appreciate what an icon Cherry is. He stands for so many positive things - I hope that will be his legacy rather than a few remarks that people interpreted the wrong way.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Good riddance.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    I hope that will be his legacy rather than a few remarks that people interpreted the wrong way.
    How do you possibly blame it on people interpreting his comments the wrong way?

I agree Don has done some awesome things, but he's also pretty clearly a bigot.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    How do you possibly blame it on people interpreting his comments the wrong way?

I agree Don has done some awesome things, but he's also pretty clearly a bigot.
    "You people" was ANYONE choosing to not buy/wear a poppy.
    It had nothing to do with race.
    The mob made it about race, not Cherry. I.e. misinterpretation of his remarks.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I was born in Canada, my parents came here as immigrants. He was addressing me, you and everyone else who didnt buy a poppy. And he is right in what he said.

Rather than admit that people are choosing to play the “insert bleeding heart movement” card here? You should be ashamed twice if that is the case. Fuxcking stupid internet social media garbage. We are in a bad place when the truth gets you fired.

All that said, when I heard what he said I KNEW it was going to be blown out of proportion.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    I was born in Canada, my parents came here as immigrants. He was addressing me, you and everyone else who didnt buy a poppy. And he is right in what he said.

Rather than admit that people are choosing to play the “insert bleeding heart movement” card here? You should be ashamed twice if that is the case. Fuxcking stupid internet social media garbage. We are in a bad place when the truth gets you fired.
    Couldn't agree more! People are missing the forests for the trees. Let's all crucify a 85 year old man because he's asking people who come and now love our country to wear a poppy? The message here is that we need to continue to remember the people who have fought for our freedom. The truth is I am working today on this holiday because my employer is making us and giving us an extra day during Christmas holidays. Their justification is that no one really cares about remembrance day anyway. It's sad. Now more people are going to minimize this holiday and the poppy itself because they don't want to be associated with Don Cherry or bigotry.

Dobber Sports Star

It does seem strange that this was the straw that broke the camels back, considering the history of shitty things he has said over the years. Noteworthy that it was Sportsnet that canned him after CBC let his bigotry slide for so many years.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Deity

Sportsnet was already bleeding money and they just fired the only true cash cow they had.

Good luck Sportsnet!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Sportsnet was already bleeding money and they just fired the only true cash cow they had.

Good luck Sportsnet!
    Thankfully I dont pay for their product - even as a free experience its rarely worth it. Reddit stream work better but maybe that would change if more people paid for the product? Interesting times we live in.

Sorry, back to disecting the phrase “you people”.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    "You people" was ANYONE choosing to not buy/wear a poppy.
    It had nothing to do with race.
    The mob made it about race, not Cherry. I.e. misinterpretation of his remarks.
    "you people come here, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey"

He's obviously talking about immigrants, so what the **** are you talking about?

Dobber Sports Genius

It's funny with political correctness these days. I was watching a show with my wife the other night and we were talking about the characters she liked. Well on the screen at the time their was a white or Caucasian and a black or African american. Trying to be political correct, I started describing the African american character without using the color of his skin. When my wife had no idea who I was talking about, I eventually had to state do you mean the black guy? Their was zero racism or bigotry in my comments, in fact I work with people of different color, my favorite golfer is black, my favorite hockey player for a time was black, heck even my favorite movie star is black. Yet in today's society were so concerned about political correctness, I couldn't in the wrong or maybe right group? Just say the black guy and cut out all the other bull crap of describing all his features. Yet what is the first thing they state on a missing persons report? Their color.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I nominate Sean Avery.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    It's funny with political correctness these days. I was watching a show with my wife the other night and we were talking about the characters she liked. Well on the screen at the time their was a white or Caucasian and a black or African american. Trying to be political correct, I started describing the African american character without using the color of his skin. When my wife had no idea who I was talking about, I eventually had to state do you mean the black guy? Their was zero racism or bigotry in my comments, in fact I work with people of different color, my favorite golfer is black, my favorite hockey player for a time was black, heck even my favorite movie star is black. Yet in today's society were so concerned about political correctness, I couldn't in the wrong or maybe right group? Just say the black guy and cut out all the other bull crap of describing all his features. Yet what is the first thing they state on a missing persons report? Their color.
    It's not the same; not even close. And I think you know that.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    It's not the same; not even close. And I think you know that.

Rylant
    Your right it's not but I purposely don't describe people by their skin color in public because I am worried about wrongfully being accused of being racist. When in fact in most situations it's the far easier way to identify someone. People now a days are just waiting in the wings to jump on people for having a slip up. It's sad.