Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Don Cherry no longer with Coach's Corner

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Don Cherry no longer with Coach's Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    I don't think he is referring to the ones who dies in World War 2, I think he's referring to the modern day one's who in his view don't wear Poppy's showing support for veteran's and remembrance day. Really Ron, should of piped up and said "Yes Cherry, that may be the case or may not but I see just as many millennials of all nationality not wearing Poppy's, the real issue is that people are forgetting about how important remembrance day actually is" Then and this is hypothetical, if Cherry said "No I mean only those people", than we can officially label him guilty. I would of liked to see a proper rebuttal from the PC police, with statistics on poppy buyers and surveys and challenge Cherry to a debate. Instead were offended (by in my opinion something pretty minor) and Cherry needs to pay!
    Hell, we wouldn't need to make all these guesses as to his motive if Cherry had just said, "everybody should wear a poppy". Poof. Then none of this would have ever happened. Unfortunately he didn't do that. Why he singled out immigrants as the biggest offenders, only Don Cherry will ever know for sure. Is he xenophobic? Confused? Oblivious? Who knows? All we know is that it was considered offensive by enough people that Rogers decided that it was time to part ways with him. Was it offensive? Well I guess that is the million dollar question. It appears most who felt the brunt of Cherry's 'you people who come here' rant were hurt by his comments. I can't really blame them.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I personally believe more/all Canadians should wear poppies.

I also believe it's not my decision whether people wear poppies or not, and it is each person's choice to do so. I also think it's getting harder to do, as poppy donation boxes are harder to find and fewer people carry cash/change around.

I believe Cherry's specific message is that immigrants are the ones not wearing poppies. I believe (based on his own words, both on Saturday night and in interviews since) his specific intention was to single out and target immigrants (of any race) and blame them for the issue. I believe this (along with many other things he said) absolutely were a fireable offense.

If his message was "everyone in Canada needs to put more thought towards veterans and wear poppies", that's a fine message. However he's openly admitted that was not his message.
    Well said. My post pales in comparison, though I was trying to convey the same message
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Genius

I personally believe more/all Canadians should wear poppies.

I also believe it's not my decision whether people wear poppies or not, and it is each person's choice to do so. I also think it's getting harder to do, as poppy donation boxes are harder to find and fewer people carry cash/change around.

I believe Cherry's specific message is that immigrants are the ones not wearing poppies. I believe (based on his own words, both on Saturday night and in interviews since) his specific intention was to single out and target immigrants (of any race) and blame them for the issue. I believe this (along with many other things he said) absolutely were a fireable offense.

If his message was "everyone in Canada needs to put more thought towards veterans and wear poppies", that's a fine message. However he's openly admitted that was not his message.
    Yes but one of my main pet peeves is when people get out the pitchforks about these kind of things, is they often don't add any substance to the conversation. They simply just want to remove what they view as the problem as fast as they can and carry on. Was there some truth in what Cherry said? I am not sure because I don't have the definitive statistics to back it up. Making what he said an opinion, much like a lot of the arguments on this very thread are, opinions. Instead and it might be happening out there already , go run an unbiased survey to see who buys poppy's, who feels it's important etc... Than challenge Cherry's view. The result would or should be more people wearing poppy's, more people honoring our troops and more people remembering why we all have the freedoms to have this conversation in the first place. A positive comes out of this. Instead of two negatives. Can we not all agree on that? Instead too many people just want to say I'm offended and have everyone rush to their defense.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Genius

and yes his wording sucked.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Cherry expressed a biased, divisive, and xenophobic opinion on a national broadcast with no information to back up his point. The onus is not on the "the public" to find information and debate/disprove Cherry, it's on Cherry to not alienate half of the viewership tuning in.

He doesn't have a right to his job and position. His employer has a responsibility to their advertisers and viewership to provide an enjoyable product to the largest segment of population possible. They determined Cherry was no longer part of that product.

And for the record, for all the people saying Sportsnet just fired their "cash cow" and are really doomed now....if an 85 year old man producing a 4 minute segment on Saturday mostly blustering nonsense about a game he largely no longer understands is the only reason a large portion of Canada was tuning in to watch hockey broadcasts, Sportsnet and the NHL were doomed whether they kept Cherry or not.

Dobber Sports Genius

Cherry expressed a biased, divisive, and xenophobic opinion on a national broadcast with no information to back up his point. The onus is not on the "the public" to find information and debate/disprove Cherry, it's on Cherry to not alienate half of the viewership tuning in.

He doesn't have a right to his job and position. His employer has a responsibility to their advertisers and viewership to provide an enjoyable product to the largest segment of population possible. They determined Cherry was no longer part of that product.

And for the record, for all the people saying Sportsnet just fired their "cash cow" and are really doomed now....if an 85 year old man producing a 4 minute segment on Saturday mostly blustering nonsense about a game he largely no longer understands is the only reason a large portion of Canada was tuning in to watch hockey broadcasts, Sportsnet and the NHL were doomed whether they kept Cherry or not.
    Fair enough but if that comment offended you and so many so much, then Canada might just be the softest country in the world.

Administrator

Fair enough but if that comment offended you and so many so much, then Canada might just be the softest country in the world.
    Like everything else, your definition of soft will differ from others. You should keep that in mind.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Star

It's not necessarily about being offended. I don't feel personally offended by it one ****ing bit, but I still think it's prudent to get that stuff off the air. Singling out specific groups with no grounds to do so is bad for us as a society.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Maybe Canada should have eliminated cuddling and coddling kids after a certain age at the same time they eliminated the good ol' spanking.

If spanking was seen as unhealthy.... so is over-coddling our future generations.

There is way too much 'softness' going on in our society.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Like everything else, your definition of soft will differ from others. You should keep that in mind.
    I will go straight to the dictionary... I think everyone should agree with the dictionary definition...

sympathetic, lenient, or compassionate, especially to a degree perceived as excessive; not strict or sufficiently strict.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=soft...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I will go straight to the dictionary... I think everyone should agree with the dictionary definition...

https://www.google.com/search?q=soft...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Umm OK... so what is considered excessive? That's definitely open to interpretation.

Also, Don himself used the word "soft" in a different context. He applied it to most Europeans. Did he mean Europeans are excessively compassionate? lol

Dobber Sports Ninja

Or one of the kindest.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Umm OK... so what is considered excessive? That's definitely open to interpretation.

Also, Don himself used the word "soft" in a different context. He applied it to most Europeans. Did he mean Europeans are excessively compassionate? lol
    I think you and everyone else has a pretty good idea what excessive is.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I think you and everyone else has a pretty good idea what excessive is.

Linking to some horrible scenes from a terrible movie doesn't mean anything. You're wrong. "Excessive" is just as subjective as "soft", so everybody's definitions will differ.

To those saying we're getting "too soft": I bet people said the same thing when we toughened up on child abuse laws (as one example). It was once perfectly acceptable to beat the hell out of your children, but we changed that. People were no doubt bitching all over the place about how soft we'd gotten that you can't even beat your own kid! Are we softer? Sure. But are we all better off because of it? According to experts, yes.

Administrator

I'd also argue there's been some excessive compassion, sympathy and lenience towards Don Cherry considering why and how we got here. Not to mention he's a terrible hockey analyst in 2019.

It goes both ways.

Dobber Sports Genius

I'd also argue there's been some excessive compassion, sympathy and lenience towards Don Cherry considering why and how we got here. Not to mention he's a terrible hockey analyst in 2019.

It goes both ways.
    Eric I truly wished more people, were towards the middle like yourself. I know what side you of the argument you lie on but at least your not jumping down people's throats.