Thread: Dynasty goaltending trade question - DeSmith for Miller?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Dynasty goaltending trade question - DeSmith for Miller?

Deep dynasty salaried H2H league. 12 teams with approximately 80 players each between NHL scoring roster, AHL farm team and prospects.

5/12 scoring categories for goalies: Wins, GAA, Saves, Save % and shutouts. Minimum 3 starts a week required or all 5 goalie cats are won by opponent.

Offer is Ryan Miller (age 39) for my Casey DeSmith (age 28). Goaltending is my weakness with Gibson, Ullmark and Montembeault as my current active tendies.

Allen, Quick and DeSmith are my only goalies on the farm team with NHL starts (13 other prospects playing in the NCAA, AHL, ECHL or KHL currently - notables are Luukkonen, Skarek and Kochetkov). Note both Allen and Quick require clearing waivers to return to the farm team if recalled, making them bad injury fill ins - with the shortage of goalies in this league, they would be claimed...

I'd be running Montembeault, Ullmark, Gibson and Miller to get more raw saves and potentially wins if I acquired Miller.

Does DeSmith have any future playing in the NHL? Is the short term boost from Miller worth it at the expense of approximately 7 years of DeSmith potentially making NHL starts once Miller has retired?
    12 Team Dynasty (Cap) H2H
    25 Man roster - 35 Farm - 3 years of picks, 8 rd draft.
    G, A, PPP, SHP, PIM, HIT, BLK
    W, SV, SV%, GAA, SO
    Start 12F/6D/2G Min 3 start/ 5 Bench

C-Larkin,Monahan,ROR,Karlsson,Hischier,
    Coleman,Sissons
    LW- M & B Tkachuk, Mikheyev, Erne
    RW- Marner, P Kane, T Wilson,
    D-Dumba,McAvoy,Pettersson,Bear,
    Orlov,Dunn,Girard,Zadorov
    G- Gibson, Ullmark, Montembeault

Farm notables
    Tuch,Gurianov,Sikura,Acciari,Thomas
    C Jones,Schuldt,Wolanin
    Miller,Allen,Quick,DeSmith,Kochetkov

Juniors
    Tippett,J Robertson,Heponiemi,J Boqvist
    Wahlstrom,Bokk,Barre-Boulet,Iskhakov
    Podkolzin,Krebs,Lavoie,Texier,Holmstrom
    Luukkonen,Skarek

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Dynasty goaltending trade question - DeSmith for Miller?

I understand the frustration with not having enough goaltending. At least you have some desperation guys in case of season ending injury to someone in Quick & Allen, but one seems done, and the other has never really been solid. You seem like you can safely get 3 starts a week without the Ducks handcuff, though.

I'm guessing there's no trade market for Allen to the Binnington owner? I'd lean towards taking anything for him. as he's a waste of a roster spot sitting in your minors.

I think I'd keep DeSmith, as Miller's NHL career is probably 40 starts from being done, and likely less. I don't see him playing beyond next year, but it's remotely possible. He's been good enough lately that I think he can get another 1 year deal at the end of the year.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

The one thing you haven't mentioned is whether you think Miller will/can make a difference to you this year? If you are going for it this year, it could make sense.

Given the age difference, I would probably try to get a pick thrown in , or a pick upgrade.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Miller definitely upgrades my raw starts and likely my wins. I'm coming off what will be my first definitive loss (other was a 5-6-1 loss) and dropping from 2/12 to 5/12.

My last 2 years of losses in the playoffs have been a direct result of goaltending results.

I'll definitely explore seeing if I can extract an equalizing pick to even out the age difference in the potential trade.
    W, SV, SV%, GAA, SO

Coleman,Sissons

Farm notables
    C Jones,Schuldt,Wolanin
    Miller,Allen,Quick,DeSmith,Kochetkov

Juniors
    Tippett,J Robertson,Heponiemi,J Boqvist
    Wahlstrom,Bokk,Barre-Boulet,Iskhakov
    Podkolzin,Krebs,Lavoie,Texier,Holmstrom
    Luukkonen,Skarek

The Great One

If goaltending is what has knocked you out in the past, and goalies are hard to come by, then yeah.....I try to squeeze some sort of pick or pick upgrade...and sell it as "this is miller's last year." I'd also sell the fact that the only reason desmith was sent down was because the penguins were worried about putting jarry on waivers.

If you can't get a pick or pick upgrade, I'd probably put this deal on hold for awhile, and see what else is out there...

Dobber Sports Rookie

Miller owner had 3 guys go down last night, and asked for a waiver exempt guy with some offensive upside - he took Trevor Moore in return for Miller.

Moore had been my guy I'd add/drop for extra games played in tight matchups when I needed extra hits, but I've got others to fill that role.

I like Moore, but that seems to works for both teams desires, so everyone's happy.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Moore was a free agent signing for me, and a redundant player - so while I would have liked to have kept him, he was exactly the player needed to make a deal at this time. I just don't see him moving up in Toronto's lineup meaningfully for an extended period of time to become a more valuable asset.

Guys like Acciari, Erne and Coleman all serve a similar role with slightly better numbers for a reasonable salary. Plus, I'm one of the better GMs when it comes to finding bargain players in free agency, so I suspect I'll be able to replace Moore with another bottom 6er in the future before the rest of the league notices the next guy like Moore. One of my trademarks in this league has been identifying these value guys, signing them and trading them for late round draft picks which are now beginning to filter into the NHL as I begin my 4th season here. Guys like Morgan Geekie, Libor Hajek and Alex Barre-Boulet who are having very impressive AHL seasons or impressive rookie debuts.

I think Moore already has a roughly 4 week stint to show if he should move up, but I understand your thinking, and finding those kinds of guys makes things much easier in dynasty.

Dobber Sports Genius

DAY LATE AND A BUCK SHORT:

I love(!) having a tandem in a start 2 goalie H2H league with SAVES as a category. I would make this trade for the situational benefit. Bonus points for the Anaheim (off nights) tandem... Now you need to go out and get better goaltenders than Ullmark and Montembeault. You are half-way to solving your goalie issues.

Who is on the WW for goalies? Who in your league owns Quick? Do you believe in a Quick dead-cat-bounce? Who has Carter Hutton? What does he cost? What GM has too many goalies and who do they have?
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    DAY LATE AND A BUCK SHORT:

I love(!) having a tandem in a start 2 goalie H2H league with SAVES as a category. I would make this trade for the situational benefit. Bonus points for the Anaheim (off nights) tandem... Now you need to go out and get better goaltenders than Ullmark and Montembeault. You are half-way to solving your goalie issues.

Who is on the WW for goalies? Who in your league owns Quick? Do you believe in a Quick dead-cat-bounce? Who has Carter Hutton? What does he cost? What GM has too many goalies and who do they have?
    I own Quick and Allen, both I consider to be a liability - moreso than Ullmark. While I agree that both Ullmark and Montembeault are stopgaps and upgrades are needed there the cost of acquiring a goalie without having a goalie to send back (like Ullmark) for an upgrade was cost prohibitive.

I acquired Ullmark recently (just before week 3 ended, while waivers weren't yet in effect so I could send Quick down safely), and by getting Miller I'm now no longer desperate, which helps my bargaining position - the last 2 attempts to acquire a goalie wanted both Tkachuks and a high pick as a starting point, because they knew I was desperate.

With the league expanding to 12 teams (now over 900 players owned), the deep farm system and most guys using 3 goalies (and some have 4) the waiver wire doesn't hold much. I think Scott Darling is still stashed away on someone's farm roster with the faint hope that he comes back on a cheap deal as a backup somewhere and does respectably. It's why I haven't turfed Allen or Quick yet, because with 5/12 cats being goaltending and the premium on goalies, you don't let them go until they've truly been put out to pasture. My farm team has a total of 13 goalies and my prospects include another 6 goalies - this league requires you hit on the draft and develop strategy or you pay through the nose to acquire a quality tender.

So now that I'm not desperate anymore, I can begin reaching out to others offering Ullmark and a pick for a starter, giving them a tandem goalie to replace whoever they lose. Montembeault is a kid I think highly of, and will not be moving (along with Luukkonen and Kochetkov) who appear to be developing well as well as holding a high draft pedigree.
    W, SV, SV%, GAA, SO

Coleman,Sissons

Farm notables