Thread: Thoughts On Trade

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Thoughts On Trade

I'm new to fantasy hockey, and would appreciate thoughts on this trade I just did... if I screwed myself, please feel free to tell me that way I can learn haha...

12 team H2H League Standard (Scoring Categories are G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, SOG, Hit, Blocks) (Goalie Stats are W, GA, SA, SV, SHO)

We have to keep a starter from each position (C, LW, RW, D, G), but we don't get to keep our 1st round draft picks they go back in for re draft the next year

Gave up: Marchand (who I wouldnt be able to keep next year), Mark Stone, Joel Armia, D Rittch (Who wasnt a keeper as I have Anderssen)

Got: E Lindholm (who will be a keeper), Arvidsson, Oshie, and Halak

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Thoughts On Trade

I get where your looking about who you can keep and can't keep. Can I ask why you thought the need to make this trade so soon? Marchand is far and away the best player in this deal, and Stone and Lindholm aren't that far apart. Plus Rittich is deployed much more heavily than Halak will be.
    You want honesty so I feel like you could have got a lot more for what you gave up to someone who is contending. In my opinion Marchand should have landed you Lindholm and Arvidsson alone or at least some added draft picks.
    H2H - 3 keepers (4 year max.) - 12 teams - 2 C, 2 RW, 2 LW, 1 F, 4 D, 1 Util., 2 G, 3 Bench, IR, IR+, IR+

Skaters - G, A, P, +/-, SOG, PPP, HIT, BLK
    Goalies - W, GAA, SV%, SV

C - McDavid, Crosby, Kyrou
    RW - Kuch, P. Kane, Batherson, Wilson
    LW - Fiala, Hagel, Verhaeghe
    D - Dahlin, Hedman, Morrissey, Theodore, Dunn
    G - Hellebuyck, Ullmark, Binnington
    IR - Sergachev

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I was close to the bottom of the league and agree Marchand is the best player in the deal. I'm trying to structure my team going forward, and liked Lindholm more then Stone as a keeper because of him taking FW along with his other stats.

I agree with that for sure. I just think you should have gotten more for Marchand
    H2H - 3 keepers (4 year max.) - 12 teams - 2 C, 2 RW, 2 LW, 1 F, 4 D, 1 Util., 2 G, 3 Bench, IR, IR+, IR+

Skaters - G, A, P, +/-, SOG, PPP, HIT, BLK
    Goalies - W, GAA, SV%, SV

C - McDavid, Crosby, Kyrou
    RW - Kuch, P. Kane, Batherson, Wilson
    LW - Fiala, Hagel, Verhaeghe
    D - Dahlin, Hedman, Morrissey, Theodore, Dunn
    G - Hellebuyck, Ullmark, Binnington
    IR - Sergachev

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I see what youre saying, I just thought I was getting the best keeper out of the bunch going forward after this year

Sorry, but I don't think giving up a season of Marchand and Rittich, and maybe a few points moving from Stone to Lindholm is worth it for those 5 FOW/game. You should have gotten much, much more, and I'm not sure that Lindholm is actually a better keeper than Stone, even with your categories.

The Great One

I also think you got an extremely underwhelming return on this. But to fully analyse this, I'd need more detail.

For example, it's not clear if Marchand was a 1st round pick? IE is Marchand not a keeper for just you, or is he not a keeper for anyone in the league. I presume this would make a huge difference for his trade value.

I'm also not crazy about "chasing" FOWs from the wing, as positional status and deployment can change from year to year.

If you are out of it for this year, I don't understand why you wouldn't be trading players for draft picks? You gave up a lot of nice pieces for a very, very marginal upgrade. And even that is questionable...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks guys for your input and advice, I really appreciate it. The trade didn't go through as it was vetoed, which from the sounds of it was a really good thing for me.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Jangoli View Post
    Thanks guys for your input and advice, I really appreciate it. The trade didn't go through as it was vetoed, which from the sounds of it was a really good thing for me.
    You definitely dodged a bullet! (You also got a chance to learn from this experience, without it hurting your team).

Given you are relatively new to fantasy hockey, my advice would be to post the trades you are considering before you make them.

We'll all here to (try our best to) help.