Thread: I am in D-man hell

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default I am in D-man hell

My D is a hot mess. Aside from Dumba and Gustafsson I literally own every other massively dissapointing fantasy D-man in the league.

I went into this year’s draft with Kling, Ghost, Barrie and Trouba as keepers. I knew there were some question marks, but I figured: Kling is a lock for 55-60, Ghost would bounce back, Barrie would take a small hit but still be productive, and Trouba’s contract would mean juicy deployment. I knew the potential risks — Vigneault vs. Ghost, Barrie’s deployment, and Trouba’s lack of a track record — but I figured if one or even two of these guys were worst-case scenario I’d still be ok and supplement through the draft and the wire if necessary.

Cut to now — not only is it the worst case scenario for every one of them, but my “sure thing” in Kling has been terrible and is now shelved for up to a month. I drafted Toews and picked up Edler but… not exactly a lethal top 2!

What sucks is that my fwds are crushing it, even with a slow start from Johnny H and an injured Tavares. I was convinced I'd contend this yr, but it won't happen with my current D sitch.

I have some trade targets but for now I’ll need to hit the wire (weekly pickups, FAAB bids, 8 moves a season of which I’ve used 2). Here are my options — not great but perhaps some sneaky value? Won’t have to drop anyone with Kling on IR+. If they're not listed below they're n/a.

- Schultz (likely best option if Letang out for a while?)
    - Ekholm (50 pt pace currently but almost zero PP time)
    - Vatanen (On a bit of a heater running PP1 but his metrics seem unsustainable and Subban will take the reigns again I would think)
    - Fowler (How a clear-cut PP1 quarterback scores as little as he does is beyond me, underlying numbers not super encouraging either)
    - Pionk (I mean maybe? On PP2 with some decent talent...)
    - Spurgeon / Brad Hunt (not super jazzed on these guys or Minny in general but maybe)

Yeah it’s dire up here in D-man clowntown. Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated, will of course REP.
    10-team H2H points-only keeper, daily changes (2021 season only), 9F, 3D, 2G, 10 bench. Keep 15 (In bold)

Skaters: G=3, A2, PPG=1, PPA=0.5, SHG=2, SHA=0.5
    Goalies: W=4, SO=6

F: Kucherov, Eichel, Huberdeau, Pettersson, Boeser, Backstrom, Tavares, Giroux, Atkinson, W. Karlsson, Bertuzzi, Buchnevich, Dvorak, Ritchie, Rossi
    D: Krug, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, R. Andersson
    G: Andersen, Helle, Kuemper, Jarry

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: I am in D-man hell

Gustafson isn’t doing so shit hot either. Assuming you can IR Klinger you can pick up Vat or Fowler but you burn waivers. 8 is even less than my ten per year. I thought my pool was tight.

Dobber Sports Genius

Man! I feel your pain! I dropped grubauer to trade for Hart and keep Dumba! Then drafted Gustafsson with 1st pick after I disappointingly had to drop him.

Screw dumba and Gustafsson!

Grab whoever you can!
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I don't love any of the options you've listed but I at least like Schultz with Letang on the shelf.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Ah yes, the pain that is fantasy hockey! I like Schultz here as well with Letang yet again on the shelf. Hey it could be worse, Jones and Schnieder could be your goalies........oh my.........
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Superstar

Ekholm, if he's not reliant on PP for his scoring that's fine IMO. Any defender scoring 50 points needs to be rostered. At this point I would also dump Trouba for the likes of Vatanen. As a Ranger fan I can confidently say that those waters are murky at 33rd and 8th. Fox is emerging now after adjusting to this league and the boy can play. Between him and DeAngelo, Trouba will never get PP1 time consistently I feel. He needs to be used defensively on this squad loaded with young blue-liners who will and are making mistakes.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Svech,Thoma s,ChandlerS.,Jenner,Couts,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Gudas,Harley
    G:Jarry,Ingram,Kotchetkov
    IR:Murphy,Rust,Guentzel

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Schmaltz
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Lehkonen
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov
    IR: Zegras,Norris,Vilardi,Kempe

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    Hey it could be worse, Jones and Schnieder could be your goalies........oh my.........
    Oh man yeah... I feel like Jones and Schneids were like the G equivalent of my D situation at the start of the season, like a "what could possibly go wrong" scenario. I don't blame you, Schneids was a sexy bounce-back pick with a revamped Devils squad and hips that were supposed to finally work, and the Sharks... I don't even know what to say about the Sharks. Hopefully you grabbed Blackwood?
    10-team H2H points-only keeper, daily changes (2021 season only), 9F, 3D, 2G, 10 bench. Keep 15 (In bold)

F: Kucherov, Eichel, Huberdeau, Pettersson, Boeser, Backstrom, Tavares, Giroux, Atkinson, W. Karlsson, Bertuzzi, Buchnevich, Dvorak, Ritchie, Rossi

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    At this point I would also dump Trouba for the likes of Vatanen. As a Ranger fan I can confidently say that those waters are murky at 33rd and 8th.
    Yeah this was my fear. I thought there was serious upside with Trouba given the end to his season sans Buf last year and a fancy new contract... but you're right and I should have seen it coming. I wanted to grab Deangelo in my draft as insurance but missed him.

Not gonna drop him just yet but if things keep trending this way I'll move on.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by MilkHotdogs View Post
    Oh man yeah... I feel like Jones and Schneids were like the G equivalent of my D situation at the start of the season, like a "what could possibly go wrong" scenario. I don't blame you, Schneids was a sexy bounce-back pick with a revamped Devils squad and hips that were supposed to finally work, and the Sharks... I don't even know what to say about the Sharks. Hopefully you grabbed Blackwood?
    Expectations were high before the first puck was dropped! Fantasy Hockey is cruel! This is a deep league, the guy who owns Blackwood has been shopping him all right, but he wants waaaayyyy too much for him. I'm just eating it for now (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf