Thread: Goalie Strategy Help Please - Rep Given

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Goalie Strategy Help Please - Rep Given

Hello all,

After 4 weeks, I only have 6 wins out of 16 goalie stats. Contrast that with 19 wins out of 28 skater stats. There are three main problems:

1) Hart has been terrible.
    2) Vasil hasn't been very good.
    3) I haven't trusted Varly enough to play him so I've missed out on the really good performances.

I have tried spot starting goalies - I just can't get it right.
    I have tried blindly starting all goalies and that hasn't worked.
    I have tried starting Vasil blindly and spot starting the others - that hasn't worked.
    The only strategy left is to blindly start Varly/Greiss and spot start Vasil and Hart until they both start to perform better.

This week that creates a bit of a problem since only 3 of my 8 possible starts come from Varly/Greiss. 3-6 will come from Vasil and Hart.

My opponent this week has Mzarek, Bishop and Hutton - he has a maximum of 7 starts (assuming his goalies play all of the team's games).

Help please!
    In a 10 league where we start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D and 2 G daily. It is a H2H league - we keep 3 players (1 G max), are allowed a max of 2 keeps for each player. The number in brackets is the number of keeps I have left:

G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPG, PPA and Shots.
    C - Larkin, Couturier, Kopitar, Cirelli
    LW - OV, Panarin (1), Schenn (C), Ehlers (RW), Kreider
    RW - Kucherov (0), Seguin (C), Palmieri, Voracek, Yamamoto
    D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    G - Rask, Varlamov, Hart, Mrazek
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Goalie Strategy Help Please - Rep Given

If you've tried different goalie strategies over the first four weeks of the season, you're jumping around too much.
    I always start all my goalies until I have a reason not to.
    For you that means every Vas and NYI start, which should do you well, and then you can decide if you want to start Hart, or juggle him based on matchup.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Broken record here...

P7's Goalie Strategy to Not Doing it Wrong (*H2H Version*):

1. Get your goalie starts, at least two, in early in the week. Don't bench anybody. Find out what you are dealing with.
    2a. If you get two good-to-great starts, then you can consider slow-playing your next goalie start and try to ensure you take GAA-SV%.
    2b. If you get two bad starts, you WILL lose GAA-SV% unless you get more volume to fix it... and you might as well chase W-SV by pure volume starting of goalies. (No reason to not take SV)
    3. Roster a late-Sunday starting goalie so you can make a sit/start decision where needed on GAA/SV%.

Goalie strategy in H2H is E.Z.
    i) Look ahead, find out if your NEXT week opponent has lots of goalies or few... roster same+1 amount.
    ii) Make sure your goalies (esp. one you "add") are on board for Mon/Tue/Wed starts.
    iii) Follow P7 Strategy Guide
    iv) Try to roster Sunday Goalie for sit/start decision.

Rinse.
    Repeat, weekly.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Broken record here...

P7's Goalie Strategy to Not Doing it Wrong:

1. Get your goalie starts, at least two, in early in the week. Don't bench anybody. Find out what you are dealing with.
    2a. If you get two good-to-great starts, then you can consider slow-playing your next goalie start and try to ensure you take GAA-SV%.
    2b. If you get two bad starts, you WILL lose GAA/SV% unless you get more volume to fix it... and you might as well chase W-SV by pure volume starting of goalies.
    3. Roster a late-Sunday starting goalie so you can make a sit/start decision where needed on GAA/SV%.

i) Look ahead, find out if your NEXT week opponent has lots of goalies or few... roster same+1 amount.
    ii) Make sure your goalies (esp. one you mad "add") are on board for Mon/Tue/Wed starts.

Rinse.
    Repeat, weekly.
    Can vouch that he makes it work well^
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Broken record here...

P7's Goalie Strategy to Not Doing it Wrong (*H2H Version*):

2b. If you get two bad starts, you WILL lose GAA-SV% unless you get more volume to fix it... and you might as well chase W-SV by pure volume starting of goalies. (No reason to not take SV)

ii) Make sure your goalies (esp. one you "add") are on board for Mon/Tue/Wed starts.

Rinse.
    Repeat, weekly.
    I have read this a few times and it seems to work well as far as I have applied it in my one daily start league.

I follow it trying to try to get starts in early, so I have some knowledge of how things may unfold. If you get a shtuout or great ratios early, you can work with that, and if the ratios suck, you know that as well.

However, it's tougher when there are no goalies in FA, so all starts must come from my stable, which isn't good. I have 1 highly variable starter in a 12 team league, plus a maybe tandem guy or two plus backups. It's better than last year's headache, though.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.