Thread: Is it time to cut loose Giroux?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Is it time to cut loose Giroux?

In a salary cap league, is it time to cut Giroux? I am a Flyer fan, so I wanted an objective opinion. There are 15 players available that have more points than him, and crucially more goals than him. Goals in our league are the real driver, in a system where you can only count two assists per each goal scored by your line for the week. Bailey is out there, on the first line, and PP1 in NY, and leading his team in scoring. I have a bit of time to make my decision on dropping as I have 4 players currently on IR and they don't count against my cap until they return. I am just thinking ahead a little bit when they eventually all return. Maybe by then Giroux will have woken up, but I get this feeling that he is on downward spiral and his peak was reached already a few years ago. I know he is serviceable for sure, but at 8.275 million it is a hefty hit. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    10 team league, 50 player max, Salary Cap
    Dress weekly 3L, 3C, 3R, 3F, 6D, 2G
    Pts for skaters: G and A
    Pts for goalies: W, SO, -pts for GA

Players
    L Kempe Nugent-Hopkins Marchment Van Reimsdyk Gaudreau Hoglander
    C Giroux Zacha Cozens Kopitar Eriksson Ek Trocheck
    R Coyle Pastrnak Konecny
    D Chabot Weegar Gostisbehere Perunovich Theodore Raddysh

G Sorokin Shesterkin Dostal Vasilevskiy

IR: Hamilton

Farm: Lardis Petrov Perreault Howard Cooley Poitras Bourque Sawchyn Pinelli Rossi Graf Lucius Brink Gunler Nazar Tomasino Leonard Zellweger Lamoureux Poirier Gulyayev Broberg Lohrei Thrun Sogaard

The Magnificent One

Default Re: Is it time to cut loose Giroux?

Vigneault is the wrong coach for him, period. Plus he's not getting younger. I still like him for 70 points though, so if that and his cap hit are enough to stomach, then keep him. Otherwise see if you can dish him to someone who thinks they're buying low.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I would say no. I'm also in a league where goals and assists are dealt with in a non-traditional way, but it's different. You need goals, but goals almost always need assists to count for scoring.

I understand he's got a pretty high cap, but while he is past his peak and Vigneault is bad for (at least) Flyers fantasy value, he's still a very good player. I'd think that if you looked at your roster via points per million of salary, you'd find better cuts than Giroux.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

It really depends on what you're replacing him with. I still like him more than Bailey, but based on your situation that could change. What other options do you have to drop, what can you do with the extra cap if you did keep Bailey and drop Giroux, etc.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)