Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lehner vs Crawford

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Lehner vs Crawford

Hey Chicago watchers, any idea when Lehner finally takes over the net? Their relative stat lines alone should tell us, and looking at their similar salaries you would think that Lehner should be the starter going forward. Unless Chicago is quietly tanking, how long can they afford to throw away games by starting Crawford?

Daydream...you out there?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Lehner vs Crawford

I don't watch Chicago often but I'm also waiting for Lehner to solidify himself as the starter - especially because I don't own (not that I want to) Crawford. Looking at their stats it seems obvious to me that Lehner is the better goalie and should already be the starter and playing more games. However, I feel like Chicago is too loyal to Crawford and want to see Crawford play and play well, so they're giving him opportunity to succeed.

Dobber Sports Pro

It has already happened. Lehner is the #1, Crawford is the backup. Lehner has taken 4 of the last 5 starts that weren't part of a Back to Back, and he looks like the best player on the ice for the Hawks (or both teams) more often than not. To say he has been amazing would be a complete understatement considering the shellings he has taken and the quality of chances our D has given up.

At this point the question isn't whether Lehner is the starter, it has what percent of the workload he'll cede to the backup in Crawford. I don't think this will be a 1A / 1B situation. I'm thinking more like 70/30. Based on how the two have played so far Crawford really shouldn't be out there except on back-to-backs.

(I have watched every game.)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Lehner is the starter, Crawford the backup. It happened a couple weeks ago. Lehner has been amazing and shows that last year was not a fluke. CHI as a team isn't that great from the games I've watched and Lehner bailed them out many times.
    H2H 12-Team Keeper (8 + 4 rookies*) - G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SA, SV%, SHO

C: Larkin, RNH, Kuznetsov
    LW: Draisaitl, Keller, Meier, Lehkonen, Benn
    RW: DeBrincat, Reinhart, Boldy
    D: Q. Hughes, Weeger, Gudas, York, Andersson, Durzi
    G: Skinner*, Talbot, Allen, Stolarz, Wolf*
    IR+: Larkin, Trouba, Vilardi

H2H 12-Team - G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    IR:
    G:

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    It has already happened. Lehner is the #1, Crawford is the backup. Lehner has taken 4 of the last 5 starts that weren't part of a Back to Back, and he looks like the best player on the ice for the Hawks (or both teams) more often than not. To say he has been amazing would be a complete understatement considering the shellings he has taken and the quality of chances our D has given up.

At this point the question isn't whether Lehner is the starter, it has what percent of the workload he'll cede to the backup in Crawford. I don't think this will be a 1A / 1B situation. I'm thinking more like 70/30. Based on how the two have played so far Crawford really shouldn't be out there except on back-to-backs.

I agree. Lehner has been excellent and is the clear starter. Suspect his PK Sv% will come down because it is unsustainable right now. Crawford hasn’t been as bad as his stats indicate. If he can get to league average on the PK then he will be fine.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I agree. Lehner has been excellent and is the clear starter. Suspect his PK Sv% will come down because it is unsustainable right now. Crawford hasn’t been as bad as his stats indicate. If he can get to league average on the PK then he will be fine.
    Thanks both - I don't know how I could forget that Breadman is a Hawks fan! I see that Lehner has started 5 of the past 7 and Crawford had to start on the weekend due to the back-to-back games, but I'm always afraid of the loyalty NHL clubs show even when it clearly costs them wins.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    Thanks both - I don't know how I could forget that Breadman is a Hawks fan! I see that Lehner has started 5 of the past 7 and Crawford had to start on the weekend due to the back-to-back games, but I'm always afraid of the loyalty NHL clubs show even when it clearly costs them wins.
    Normally that is the case, but honestly Coach Colliton (and to a lesser degree Stan Bowman) are on the hot seat right now. I think they'll play whoever gives them the best chance to win, for the most part.

Dobber Sports Pro

Normally that is the case, but honestly Coach Colliton (and to a lesser degree Stan Bowman) are on the hot seat right now. I think they'll play whoever gives them the best chance to win, for the most part.
    Looks like this is their approach - Crawford has started 3 of the past 4 games. I was hoping for two starts from Lehner this week.

Dobber Sports Pro

Looks like this is their approach - Crawford has started 3 of the past 4 games. I was hoping for two starts from Lehner this week.
    Appearances can be deceiving. Crawford started on 11/7 because Lehner had started 4 of the previous 5 games. Then Crawford started on 11/9 because it was a B2B and they wanted to give him the easier game against the Penguins and save Lehner for the Maple Leafs. Lehner would have almost certainly started last night, but last game against Toronto he took a puck to the collarbone and he is still very sore from it. He said himself that at the time he thought it was broken. I am pretty certain that the Hawks know that Lehner gives them the best chance to win. We dodged a bullet with him not being seriously hurt, and I think you'll see him continue to get the lion's share of starts as long as he is healthy. Just ignore the recent anomaly of Crawford starting 3 of 4 - I doubt it happens again for the rest of the season. (and if anyone can scare a Lehner owner into moving him by sharing the "Crawford 3 of the last 4 starts" fact with them, DO IT!!!)

Dobber Sports Pro

Appearances can be deceiving. Crawford started on 11/7 because Lehner had started 4 of the previous 5 games. Then Crawford started on 11/9 because it was a B2B and they wanted to give him the easier game against the Penguins and save Lehner for the Maple Leafs. Lehner would have almost certainly started last night, but last game against Toronto he took a puck to the collarbone and he is still very sore from it. He said himself that at the time he thought it was broken. I am pretty certain that the Hawks know that Lehner gives them the best chance to win. We dodged a bullet with him not being seriously hurt, and I think you'll see him continue to get the lion's share of starts as long as he is healthy. Just ignore the recent anomaly of Crawford starting 3 of 4 - I doubt it happens again for the rest of the season. (and if anyone can scare a Lehner owner into moving him by sharing the "Crawford 3 of the last 4 starts" fact with them, DO IT!!!)
    Thanks for the intel. I understand the B2Bs but I wasn't aware of Lehner's sore collarbone.

Dobber Sports Pro

Thanks for the intel. I understand the B2Bs but I wasn't aware of Lehner's sore collarbone.
    Happy to help! Keep enjoying Lehner's fantastic play.

Dobber Sports Pro

Has anyone heard how Chicago is going to play their goalies for this weekend's B2B? I assume they'll start Lehner at Nashville then give Crawford the easier matchup at home against Buffalo.

Dobber Sports Pro

Since Lehner is probably still sore from taking that puck to the collarbone I would guess that Crawford starts tonight to give him one more day of rest. Just my $.02.

Dobber Sports Pro

Since Lehner is probably still sore from taking that puck to the collarbone I would guess that Crawford starts tonight to give him one more day of rest. Just my $.02.
    I hope so - that would let me start Jones tonight (I need the starts) and then Lehner tomorrow. Colliton is usually very slow to declare his starter and it's an early cut off time today.

Dobber Sports Expert

Connor Murphy will return to lineup tonight vs. Nashville. Slater Koekkoek out.

Robin Lehner starts in goal. #Blackhawks