Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: What's wrong with Gustafsson?

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: What's wrong with Gustafsson?

Just a shout out to those who criticize others for, 'buying into the hype', on Gustafsson, I believe Dobber had him listed as the 7th best D man in points only leagues on October 16th, so please get off your high horses.

I think brushing off everyone who thought Gustafsson might have another good year as a credulous fool is being pretty petty and disingenuous.

Shit happen. Sports are unpredictable. Nobody has a crystal ball.

That is part of what makes sports so alluring
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    Just a shout out to those who criticize others for, 'buying into the hype', on Gustafsson, I believe Dobber had him listed as the 7th best D man in points only leagues on October 16th, so please get off your high horses.
    That doesn't mean people should use his rankings literally. They're one person's opinion on how things will play out. People have to do their own manipulation of the rankings.

Gus was pushed down on my lists. I had him closer to 50 points.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ace

I just dropped him for Schultz post Letang injury. Hope I never have to look back!
    12 Team H2H Keep 4

2 C, 4 W, 4 D, 2 UTIL, 2 G
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, FW: W, SV%, GAA

C: Barkov, Eichel
    W: Connor
    D:
    G: Sorokin
    ​IR:
    NA:

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post

I think brushing off everyone who thought Gustafsson might have another good year as a credulous fool is being pretty petty and disingenuous.

Shit happen. Sports are unpredictable. Nobody has a crystal ball.

That is part of what makes sports so alluring
    I definitely would not criticize anyone for a 60+ point projection for Gustafsson. I expected him to continue to play at the same pace as last year. He was the sole dman on the loaded PP1 which would get 90 seconds or so of every PP. Plus, he was constantly pushing the puck, pinching in the offensive zone, and benefitting from the excellent play of Kane, Toews, Debrincat, and Strome last season. While he was primarily a passenger, those points count just the same in fantasy. It wasn’t reasonable to predict such a huge drop off in Toews game, the PP1, and Chicago’s offense overall which have all contributed to Gus’s lack of production this season.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

He seems to be going back to producing points. Anyone watch the hawks game?

I took a gamble and traded subban for gustafsson.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    He seems to be going back to producing points. Anyone watch the hawks game?

I took a gamble and traded subban for gustafsson.
    Even Gustafsson is better than Subban...I just looked into Subbans numbers and wow! That trade to NJ did him no favours. Feeling a little better as a Gus owner now, lol.
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 13 players and 1 Goalie , +4 Young Keepers (players with less than 165 NHL games played -last season). Points for G (2), A (2), Hit (.2) SHP(1), Blocks (.2), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - E.Malkin, R.Getzlaf, J.Pageau, J.Toews, P.Danault, J.Marchessault

LW - B.Marchand, C.Keller, J.Guentzel, K.Connor,N.Gusev, J.Zucker, T.Toffoli, D.Kubalik

RW - A.DeBrincat,, V.Tarasenko, M.Hoffman, V.Olofsson, K.Yamamoto, R.Strome

D - T.DeAngello, T.Krug, Q.Hughes,E.Gustafsson, M.Borowiecki, J.Muzzin, S.Theodore, J.Klingberg, O.Klefbom

G - S.Bobrovski, F.Andersen, B.Bishop, I.Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

He's been doing better lately but still not what he was drafted for. Considering dropping him for Theodore in a full redraft.

Dobber Sports Ace

I’ve never personally been a believer. I think ultimately, Gus can be a good sidekick if say Boqvist ends up as good as expected. I really didn’t like the Jokiharju trade for the Hawks. Trading a right shot D like that for a good but not great prospect who was struggling like A. Nylander didn’t make much sense to me. Even with how Nylander has played I still hate the deal. I still think JOKIharju will be a terrific D long term. He and Dahlin could eventually be one of the top D pairs in the NHL. Meanwhile, Gus I think would be far better off pairing without someone like Joki.

Anyway, if Gus shows any sembelence of a run, where owners might think he’s returning to last seasons form, I would trade him immediately. Especially in keeper or dynasty.

GUs could still turn out to be a 30 to 40 point kind of D, which is still terrific. But it’s not the 60 point stud he was last season. He reminds me of Niskanen a bit. A very good but not great D than can carry a team and perform at a high level for period s of time but not consistently. A 3rd or 4th D who can fill in for your top pair when needed and provides a solid 200 ft game. PP2 talent when needed.

But yes, no drop off has been as big as Subban. He looks dead on the ice. No idea what happened to him. He was a solutely one of the elite D in the league for the majority of his career thus far. This fall came out of nowhere for me, unlike GUs who I don’t think ever actually was an elite D. With that said, if you could trade Subban for Gus still, do it.

Poor PK is donskies.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdanger View Post
    I’ve never personally been a believer. I think ultimately, Gus can be a good sidekick if say Boqvist ends up as good as expected. I really didn’t like the Jokiharju trade for the Hawks. Trading a right shot D like that for a good but not great prospect who was struggling like A. Nylander didn’t make much sense to me. Even with how Nylander has played I still hate the deal. I still think JOKIharju will be a terrific D long term. He and Dahlin could eventually be one of the top D pairs in the NHL. Meanwhile, Gus I think would be far better off pairing without someone like Joki.

Anyway, if Gus shows any sembelence of a run, where owners might think he’s returning to last seasons form, I would trade him immediately. Especially in keeper or dynasty.

GUs could still turn out to be a 30 to 40 point kind of D, which is still terrific. But it’s not the 60 point stud he was last season. He reminds me of Niskanen a bit. A very good but not great D than can carry a team and perform at a high level for period s of time but not consistently. A 3rd or 4th D who can fill in for your top pair when needed and provides a solid 200 ft game. PP2 talent when needed.

skies.
    I agree with the first part about Jokiharju but I don't like the comparison to Niskanen who I view as a much more solid defensemen. While Gustafsson will flash a good play here and there, he continually makes gaffes in his own zone. Yesterday's game is a perfect example. He makes a greatslap shot to tie the game but earlier he made a terrible pass from behind his goal which directly led to a goal. And I have not his PP game over the last month. Just a nonstop pass to Kane or Debrincat. Boqvist is starting to creep into his PP1 time.
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I agree with the first part about Jokiharju but I don't like the comparison to Niskanen who I view as a much more solid defensemen. While Gustafsson will flash a good play here and there, he continually makes gaffes in his own zone. Yesterday's game is a perfect example. He makes a greatslap shot to tie the game but earlier he made a terrible pass from behind his goal which directly led to a goal. And I have not his PP game over the last month. Just a nonstop pass to Kane or Debrincat. Boqvist is starting to creep into his PP1 time.
    That’s fair. I guess I meant more as just a secondary offensive D. There are probably better examples out there. And yea, Niskanen is more well rounded and certainly more experienced at his age. I would rather have Niskanen also, but perhaps Gus can improve in those other areas with time. He certainly is not as good in his own end as other secondary scoring D like McDonagh, H. Lindholm, Nurse or Edler. Those guys are so good at other aspects of the game but can still put 30 to 40 points on the board any given year. Not quite sure whom I’d compare to Gus as far as overall game. Most of the guys with similar game without the puck are much better offensively, like Klyngberg, Krug or I think even DeAngelo or Theodore soon enough. Maybe a guy like Shattenkirk or Vatanen right now? Brady Skjei? Although I think Skjei and Vatanen still have a better overall game and Shat still prob has higher offensive potential. Well. You get the jist I hope.

And I’d expect Boqvist to take over PP1 duties full time by next season. He might improve Gus’ game if they pair them up in 5v5. And I’m still curious how Beaudin will do over the next few seasons. He seems like a decent prospect at least.
    I really thought they should have taken Byram instead of Dach. As much as I like Dach, Byram is in a tier above Dach relative to position. Byram could be an elite D, while I think Dach will be a very good but not great or elite forward. Maybe in Ryan Johanson territory. Much preferred Turcotte even. But there were still some really good forwards they could have gotten in the 2nd or 3rd round. Maybe Alexanderov, Afanayev, Robertson or Lavoie to name a few. Certainly not on Dach level, but absolutely closer to Dach than any D prospect at that point was to BYRAm. But yea, I think the Hawks are going to really miss Jokiharju in about 2 to 3 years from now. Buffalo will have won that deal by a mile.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri

Dobber Sports Sage

That’s fair. I guess I meant more as just a secondary offensive D. There are probably better examples out there. And yea, Niskanen is more well rounded and certainly more experienced at his age. I would rather have Niskanen also, but perhaps Gus can improve in those other areas with time. He certainly is not as good in his own end as other secondary scoring D like McDonagh, H. Lindholm, Nurse or Edler. Those guys are so good at other aspects of the game but can still put 30 to 40 points on the board any given year. Not quite sure whom I’d compare to Gus as far as overall game. Most of the guys with similar game without the puck are much better offensively, like Klyngberg, Krug or I think even DeAngelo or Theodore soon enough. Maybe a guy like Shattenkirk or Vatanen right now? Brady Skjei? Although I think Skjei and Vatanen still have a better overall game and Shat still prob has higher offensive potential. Well. You get the jist I hope.

And I’d expect Boqvist to take over PP1 duties full time by next season. He might improve Gus’ game if they pair them up in 5v5. And I’m still curious how Beaudin will do over the next few seasons. He seems like a decent prospect at least.
    I really thought they should have taken Byram instead of Dach. As much as I like Dach, Byram is in a tier above Dach relative to position. Byram could be an elite D, while I think Dach will be a very good but not great or elite forward. Maybe in Ryan Johanson territory. Much preferred Turcotte even. But there were still some really good forwards they could have gotten in the 2nd or 3rd round. Maybe Alexanderov, Afanayev, Robertson or Lavoie to name a few. Certainly not on Dach level, but absolutely closer to Dach than any D prospect at that point was to BYRAm. But yea, I think the Hawks are going to really miss Jokiharju in about 2 to 3 years from now. Buffalo will have won that deal by a mile.
    Personally, I want the Hawks to trade Gustafsson at the deadline and definitely do not want them to resign him. He’s just too weak defensively and this year his PP play is not making up for it. I agree about Byram/Turcotte over Dach. I wished the Hawks had backed up a few spots and snagged Zegras who I always liked over Dach and Cozens.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Personally, I want the Hawks to trade Gustafsson at the deadline and definitely do not want them to resign him. He’s just too weak defensively and this year his PP play is not making up for it. I agree about Byram/Turcotte over Dach. I wished the Hawks had backed up a few spots and snagged Zegras who I always liked over Dach and Cozens.
    Agree about Zegras. Any of these other options I think would have been preferable to Dach. Heh don’t want to make it sound like it was a “bad” pick, Dach still looks good. Just maybe not an ideal one.

I think trading him would be the right move also. For their sake I hope he does go on a good run in order to get a good price on him. My concern would be that teams won’t be willing to pay what they would have at the beginning of the season now that he’s failed to come close to last seasons pace. But given the contract situation it makes the most sense. I’d be curious to hear any rumors, or what teams might have interest in him. A lot would probably come down to whether he’d be willing to sign an extension with the new team and how much that contract would be for.

Would likely be a team fighting for the playoffs or perhaps one looking to dump salary. At least that’s where they would probably get the best return. Was thinking maybe a team like Florida or Edmonton.

Would he be eligible for the expansion draft?
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.

Dobber Sports Sage

Agree about Zegras. Any of these other options I think would have been preferable to Dach. Heh don’t want to make it sound like it was a “bad” pick, Dach still looks good. Just maybe not an ideal one.

I think trading him would be the right move also. For their sake I hope he does go on a good run in order to get a good price on him. My concern would be that teams won’t be willing to pay what they would have at the beginning of the season now that he’s failed to come close to last seasons pace. But given the contract situation it makes the most sense. I’d be curious to hear any rumors, or what teams might have interest in him. A lot would probably come down to whether he’d be willing to sign an extension with the new team and how much that contract would be for.

Would likely be a team fighting for the playoffs or perhaps one looking to dump salary. At least that’s where they would probably get the best return. Was thinking maybe a team like Florida or Edmonton.

Would he be eligible for the expansion draft?
    I wanted the Hawks to trade him last offseason since I thought his value would never be higher. LOL- Florida will NOT be trading for Gustafsson. Q hated his game. Montreal has been scouting Chicago for the last month.