Thread: Traded Ghost

The Great One

Default Traded Ghost

In a salary cap Im actually still a fan of ghost but I had a team need and I think I filled it adequately.

Trade was:

Anathasiou/Romanov/Elvenes
    For
    Ghost

My team is in sig- but as you can see- Im loaded at D- with EK leading the rush (whose salary makes him hard to swallow in a cap league- lol!). Also Im Crazy thin at C with exactly 3 and one of them is Hinostroza. Ive lost the first three weeks and I think a big reason is that Im not maximizing my C slots- they were all insanely close in terms of counting stats. I feel like an extra game or two from taht position will help quite a bit. Also with Weegar stepping up Im ok with a hit at D.

Ghost at 10 points per m,illion he only needs 40-45 and his peripherals are fantastic to boot! I think he'll get there easily but Ive got a friend who kindly pointed out to me that NO dman has hit 50 under AVs coaching so if theres a year to fear I think its this one. In the end I think he'll be at the very least "fairt value" with the capacity to significantly out play that in most years.

AA- is L2 but with a good chunk of PP1 deployment. I always look for shooters and the ppp would be appreciated. If he can get 60 points with 200 or so sogs at 3 million- I think thatd be a coup. I worry about his next contract but Stevie Y seems to be able to squeeze a lot of value out of players.

Romanov mitigates some of the risk I think. His dobber prospect score is 7.5 but I wonder if its been adjusted since his big breakout last year? As I pointed out my D is fine but its always nice to mitigate the risk.

Lastly Im a big Pharling fan and listen to the DPR pod religiously so Elvenes feels like a nice grab. Plus Im finally in a league where a 2nd/3rd line tweener has value- especially if he can contribute in other areas and does so at a reasonable salary- lol! Im not sure he ever plays meaningful minutes but the other owner including him is basically what shook me off the fence- lol! Im not really interested in those Seguin/Tavares debates- Im way more interested in the Kahun/Kubalik ones- haha!

Thoughts? I know his two points arent exactly inspiring- but his underlying metrics are good and the deployment is exactly where you want it at that price point. Smood moob??

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Traded Ghost

Time will tell on Elvenas and Romanov, but I would have wanted a bit more than AA coming back for Ghost.

AA is an RFA next year, so who knows what he ends up getting paid.

Ghost has one of the best contracts in the NHL.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    Time will tell on Elvenas and Romanov, but I would have wanted a bit more than AA coming back for Ghost.

I dont disagree about the contract. Like I said- its based on coming from a position of strength. I had far too much money tied up in my D and literally only icing 3 centers- lol! I dont think your feedback is wrong- its just where your valuations lie- and Im an AA fan- I think his deployment is perfect for 55-60 and his sogs have been hostorically good. This Romanov kid lookin' gopuda too! Time will tell- but trades are tough in this league- we'll see I guess- rep coming- always appreciate honesty over gratuitous backpatting...

My D after the trade are: EK, Hamilton, Krug, Gustaafson, and Hronek, with weegar on my bench (I am LOVING this guy!!). Ive got Heed as my farmhand who hasnt looked great so far- lol- BUT who was good for just over 30ish last year which is fine for a million. Hes also supposed to be a volume shooter (Howitzer Heed they said...)- but that hesnt exposed itself yet :P

My Cs become- Ziba, Kadri, AA and Hino (who really should be on the farm)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post

I'm with Evans here. I get that you're dealing from a position of strength to fill a need, but I don't think that should be used to justify a diminished return. I would have wanted to target someone better than Athanasiou, especially given the friendliness of Ghosts contract and the unknown with Athanasiou's in a cap league.

I truthfully don't know much about the prospects listed, however I do play in a couple very deep leagues and I have not heard of them. That isn't to say they aren't good prospects, but it doesn't give me any more confidence with this deal.

The Great One

Elvenes is a DPR favorite- but that being said he may never amount to anything. hes a 5th rounder whose playing better than expected and might see time is a 2nd/3rd line tweener down the road. not a gamebreaker by any means- but an exciting own nonetheless based on the gains hes made.

If youre in a keeper thats "fairly deep" you need to get acquainted with Romanov. Dudes a 7.5 who vastly outperformed that ranking last year. He basically owned the WJCs (Named top Dman of the tournament)- and still has eligibility to play in it again. Like I said Im a Pharling fan and he was gushing about this guy. Its not uncommon that russian guys dont get the same press as other players- but he is potentially a franchise pillar. Not saying its set in stone yet- but he plays a mature game already, poised, defensively sound AND he destroys teams with his offense. At the junior level hes a gamebreakers gamebreaker- we'll see how that translates. That being said this trade really is based on AA- i wonder if hes being underrated. Even the best prospects have only a 32% of being rostered in our format (not a star- just rostered- so i try not to place too much value on prospects).

I dont disagree about "justifying"- the only thing is that his underlying metrics dont point to a slumping season. If he can get 55ish points with 220ish sogs- i think I did fine personally. Im also a HUGE fan of Ghosts contract but Im at least halfway optimistic about AAs next one. Wiser men than me (get it? Yzerman??)- generally wrings out solid contracts from his players.

So just to clarify- if AA puts up 60 and 220 is this still a bad move?

Dobberprospects (7.5): https://dobberprospects.com/player/alexander-romanov/
    Mandatory reading: https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2...ts-video-stats

Dobber Sports Veteran

If AA puts that up, consistently going forward, then yes I think it's a good trade, but I don't think he'll ever amount to that.

I think you saw AA's ceiling last year and Ghost's floor.

You know your league best, and maybe thats the best return you could get for Ghost, but I'd be looking for a bit more of a sure thing.

It's not like you lost the trade, it's probably a very fair trade, I'm just speaking to my personal preferences.

Ghost is a hard sell as he's coming off a down year, but a 40-60 point potential Dman on a lucrative salary is more valuable, IMO, then a 40-60 point C/LW.

Romanov is a great prospect, and the Habs sure could use him in the lineup, which could be as soon as next year but he is still a very young prospect and the average dman takes a few years to develop so you might not start to see production out of him for a while.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I traded Ghost straight up for Ehlers a couple of weeks ago...
    12 team full keeper dynasty league (H2H Points-Based)

scoring cats:

G, A, P, PPP, SHP, +/-, PIM, SOG, FOW, FOL, Hit, TK, BLK, GWG, GA, SV, SHO, W

C: Barkov, MacKinnon, Zegras, Hughes, Matthews
    LW: Pavelski,Teravainen, Nichushkin,
    RW: Rantanen, Laine, Terry
    F: Kakko, Rakell, Granlund
    D: Jones, Hamilton, Karlsson, Dahlin, Burns, Thrun,
    G: Gibson, F. Andersen, Saros, Hart
    Farm: L. Carlsson, Moore, Miroshnichenko, Mintyukov, Zellweger, Askarov, Fedotov, Clang

The Great One

I mean I'd rather honest feedback then none- maybe I lost out lol!

I just have a tough time believing Aa peaked at 24. I feel like there's some recency bias here but all his underlying metrics and deployment are fine. I'm also halfway optimistic in the prospects and his new contract with stevie y at the helm. I hope ghost bounces back because I really do prefer win/win trades. I think he's closer to a 40 point dman under av. I love his contract too but some of those defensive gaffes are hard to watch and sanheim/provolone have offensive skills too. I don't think he's a 60 point dman anymore but I hope for everyone who owns him he's got a few 50 point seasons in him. I'll roll the dice on speedy mcdemon anathasiou. How long before he takes bertuzzis place and we've got a super line with Larkin and manta? Anamanthala!!

The Great One

From sister site dobberprospects.com:

Vegas Golden Knights 20-year-old prospect Lukas Elvenes leads the AHL in scoring at the moment with 14 points in just nine games. I’d say the Swedish winger is adjusting well after putting up 20 points in 42 games in the SHL as a 19-year-old.

Dont get me wrong- I WANT honest feedback- Im just adding these updates to get a full picture. I still dont know Elvenes worth and like I said the trade was predicated on AA being a reasonable solution. If hes not I feel like I failed in my goal. Elvenes/Romanov are just cake underneath the icing...

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I like Elvenes, and I like Athanasiou. I think you could've tried for somebody who is on a better contract than AA, but it's okay. A bit reliant on the propsects hitting, and I think Gostisbehere is likely to be traded into a better situation by Fletcher, and for a poor return.

Note that Heed isn't really a prospect, he's in his late 20's.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

If I had Ghost I would have asked for more proven players. You took the risk when you didn't need to IMO