Thread: Trading Kuch in a way to improve

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Trading Kuch in a way to improve

Hello,

I am in a 12-team, head to head, cats, 5-keeper league. Each year we can keep 5 players on an increasing draft pick value basis. My keepers from last year were Kucherov (4th cost), Wheeler (5th Cost) and Eichel (7th cost). Next year Kuch will cost a 3rd round pick, so he has two more years before he will cost a 1st round pick and likely be returned to the pool.

I won the league championship last year, but had to give up a lot of my picks to get there, so my picks were quite late in the draft this year. I am wondering whether I can convert Kuch (and his draft pick value) into some assets to try and push me over the edge again this year. The guy who is last in our league may be thinking of blowing things up soon, so I thought I'd approach to see what's available:

A: Kucherov, Pionk and Koskinen
    B: Tavares, Hedman, Rask and Tanev.

Thinking is that JT is going to get a lot of goals again this year and I'm suffering in that category so far; adding Rask means I dominate goalie cats (making up 6/14 cats); Hedman is an elite Dman and Tanev gets lots of hits (again a shortfall for me this year). Other route is to get Hoffman (or even Neal) instead of Hedman - that way likely to get more goals scored.

TEAM:
    Centres: Eichel, Hertl (LW) and Haula (LW)
    Wingers: Wheeler, Kucherov, Niederreiter, JVR, Olofsson, A. Johnsson, Kassian
    Dmen: Dumba, Carlson, Edler, Pionk and Zadorov
    Goalies: Price, Grubauer, Halak and Koskinen

CATS:
    Skater Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hit, Blk
    Goalie Cats: GS, W, GAA, SA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Trading Kuch in a way to improve

What do the players coming in cost you for draft value?

Also, how many do you start at each position and is it a daily start or a weekly start setup?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Daily start, weekly head to head, positions are: C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, Util, Util, G, G,

The Players coming in wouldn't really be keeper valuable in terms of draft value: All of JT, Hedman and Rask would cost a 1. Tanev doesn't really factor in as he's mostly just added to avoid wasting a pickup (limited) for a hitter with some minimal offensive value. I would likely drop one of Kassian or Haula....

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Melloj View Post
    Daily start, weekly head to head, positions are: C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, Util, Util, G, G,

The Players coming in wouldn't really be keeper valuable in terms of draft value: All of JT, Hedman and Rask would cost a 1. Tanev doesn't really factor in as he's mostly just added to avoid wasting a pickup (limited) for a hitter with some minimal offensive value. I would likely drop one of Kassian or Haula....
    If guys like Tavares, Hedman or Rask aren't keepers for you, OR would cost you a 1st round pick, I'd just keep what you have. Kucherov is easily 3rd round value next summer. I wouldnt even consider dealing him until next year when the cruch gets tougher, especially if the guys you are getting back have zero benefit for you next year.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    If guys like Tavares, Hedman or Rask aren't keepers for you, OR would cost you a 1st round pick, I'd just keep what you have. Kucherov is easily 3rd round value next summer. I wouldnt even consider dealing him until next year when the cruch gets tougher, especially if the guys you are getting back have zero benefit for you next year.
    While this advice is true, what is also true is that the OP isn't going to win this year with what he has. So his choice is to trade Kuch and go for the win this year. Or waste this season and keep Kuch for a chance to win next year. (Keeping in mind Kuch's value will be slightly less next year as one keeper year is being burned off). With this in mind, I would absolutely consider making a run this year if he can get enough horses in return to give himself a legit chance of winning again

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    While this advice is true, what is also true is that the OP isn't going to win this year with what he has. So his choice is to trade Kuch and go for the win this year. Or waste this season and keep Kuch for a chance to win next year. (Keeping in mind Kuch's value will be slightly less next year as one keeper year is being burned off). With this in mind, I would absolutely consider making a run this year if he can get enough horses in return to give himself a legit chance of winning again
    Yeah that was my thinking. Sneak into playoffs this year and maintain draft picks for a run next year or turn a multi year value Kuch for assets for a repeat run.

With that in mind do you have any views on this return? Hoffman or Neal better fits for team than Hedman?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Ok. Negotiations have been ongoing and the deal may be as below. Is this enough return for two years of Kuch and enough ammo to gun for championship?

Meier May be a keeper if he turns things around.

Get: Tavares, hedman, Meier, Tanev and Rask + 14th round pick

Give: Kucherov, Pionk, A Johnsson and Koskinen + 10th round pick.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Melloj View Post
    Ok. Negotiations have been ongoing and the deal may be as below. Is this enough return for two years of Kuch and enough ammo to gun for championship?

Meier May be a keeper if he turns things around.

Get: Tavares, hedman, Meier, Tanev and Rask + 14th round pick

Give: Kucherov, Pionk, A Johnsson and Koskinen + 10th round pick.
    For me, the answer depends highly on where you can keep whom. Also, which Tanev is this?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    For me, the answer depends highly on where you can keep whom. Also, which Tanev is this?
    Thanks for the reply. Out of the return, only Meier would possibly be a keeper as he would cost a 4th round pick. Brandon Tanev would be an18th round cost but I’m mostly getting him for his high hits and some offensive upside.

The rest would be pure rentals as they all would cost a 1st rounder to keep next year.

I’ve reposted my team below for reference but basically I don’t think I can win with what I have. My goalies are good, but adding Rask with having Halak would make me near guaranteed to win goalie stats. Tavares should get lots of goals; Hedman covers way more stats than Pionk. I’m not super happy to give up Johnsson as I like his play, but Meier has more upside in any given season if he turns things around and deal won’t happen without Johnsson.

TEAM:
    Centres: Eichel, Hertl (LW) and Haula (LW)
    Wingers: Wheeler, Kucherov, Niederreiter, JVR, Olofsson, A. Johnsson, Kassian
    Dmen: Dumba, Carlson, Edler, Pionk and Zadorov
    Goalies: Price, Grubauer, Halak and Koskinen

CATS:
    Skater Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hit, Blk
    Goalie Cats: GS, W, GAA, SA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Grand Master

With Hedman now hurt in addition to Tavares, I'd put this on hold, but I like the idea. Kucherov is only a keeper for one more year for you. If you could snag a multi-round pick upgrade in the deal, that would be nice. If he could use your 3rd to protect Kucherov, I'd be willing to swap 3rds with him, and say move a 7th for a 4th. That essentially cheapens Meier's keeper value for you, and moves you up a bit in round 3.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.