Thread: Is Big Buff a HOFer if he never plays another game?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Is Big Buff a HOFer if he never plays another game?

My initial thought is no.

Career numbers: 869 GP, 177 G, 348 A, 525 PTS, 1094 PIM... five 50 point seasons and two 20 goal seasons as a D-man. Cup winner.

Not earth-shattering numbers but not bad either. I start to argue with myself a little bit though.

Buff has been one of the most dominant players in the game from a physical standpoint. He reminds me a bit of a D-man version of Eric Lindros. Very few players have been able to put together the physical gifts with the high end skill the way he has. His performance during Chicago's Cup run in 2010 was nothing short of legendary. He then blossomed into a true #1 D in Winnipeg and laid hits and put up points like few could outside of those named Chelios or Stevens. What do you think?

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Is Big Buff a HOFer if he never plays another game?

Without putting a ton of thought into it I think yes. The cup is there. PPG as a d man of his era is there. The intangible ability to dominate the game physically is there. He's a likeable character which shouldn't play a role but it can when it comes to voting. I like his chances.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Star

He is going to have a tough time getting the votes. Since 2000, these are the defencemen that have been inducted. Fetisov, Languay, Bourque, Coffey, Murphy, MacInnis, Stevens, Leetch, Mark Howe, Chelios, Niedermayer, Blake, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, and Zubov. I just don’t see him on the same level as any of these inductees. How long did Byfuglien play forward? I wonder how that would factor in.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Deity

I'd say hes a fantasy HOF player but not a real life one.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Not even close to a Hall of Famer in my opinion. Granted, I think the HHOF should have a higher standard than it currently does. Byfuglien was a fantasy beast, but I like my HHOF defensemen to have won at least one Norris and been in contention for at least one or two more.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    Without putting a ton of thought into it I think yes. The cup is there. PPG as a d man of his era is there. The intangible ability to dominate the game physically is there. He's a likeable character which shouldn't play a role but it can when it comes to voting. I like his chances.
    His highest Pts/Game was in 2011-12 where it was 0.80ppg. And he only played 66games. He's never been over 56pts, career -8, played over 75games only 6/14 seasons, no international success, only award is the Stanley Cup

He's not a HOF. It would cheapen HOFers if he enters.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Administrator

Hard no for me.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Hard no for me.
    A very hard no.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

It's a (easy) no for me.
    He just wasn't a game-breaker as a defenseman.
    Let's be honest... he was a role-player for that CHI cup team.
    He's had several years as the D1 for Winnipeg and they just really haven't had enough playoff success for him to qualify, IMO.

Dobber Sports Icon

Not even close. He's only finished top 10 in the Norris Trophy once in his career (7th). He's never been one of the best dmen in the league nor has he played long enough to be an all time leader in any stats so there's no way he should be getting any Hall of Fame votes 5 years after his retirement.

Dobber Sports Padawan

The HHOF is silly and leads to silly conversations. The supposed "standards" don't apply to everyone, and one of those is apparently a Cup, which is a team accomplishment, and one that many inductees accomplished in an era where pretty much 1 in 6 NHLers won it in any given year. It's not and never has been a museum that honors just Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr. It's the Hall of *Fame*. It's there to honor players that were very good/great, had remarkable careers, and/or meant a lot to the game and especially to fans.

Buff never played for a team I ever particularly liked and has smacked down and given headaches to a number of my favorite players over the years. He was one of the most notable and entertaining players of his era. He could steamroll anyone, sometimes 2 at a time, and still put up great offensive numbers. IMO there should be an entry at the Hall for Buff that is just an installation full of screens playing gifs of his greatest hits. I'd almost suggest he's even a fan favorite outside of the fanbases of teams he's played for. I'd have no issue with him getting in. He's a legend to me.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopo View Post
    The HHOF is silly and leads to silly conversations. The supposed "standards" don't apply to everyone, and one of those is apparently a Cup, which is a team accomplishment, and one that many inductees accomplished in an era where pretty much 1 in 6 NHLers won it in any given year. It's not and never has been a museum that honors just Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr. It's the Hall of *Fame*. It's there to honor players that were very good/great, had remarkable careers, and/or meant a lot to the game and especially to fans.

Buff never played for a team I ever particularly liked and has smacked down and given headaches to a number of my favorite players over the years. He was one of the most notable and entertaining players of his era. He could steamroll anyone, sometimes 2 at a time, and still put up great offensive numbers. IMO there should be an entry at the Hall for Buff that is just an installation full of screens playing gifs of his greatest hits. I'd almost suggest he's even a fan favorite outside of the fanbases of teams he's played for. I'd have no issue with him getting in. He's a legend to me.
    I agree with you about the whole "gotta win a Cup" to qualify for the HHOF being dumb. Winning a Cup is definitely a check in the positive box, but for me, you HAVE to stand out amongst your peers in the era you played in. That's why I give added weight to players who win individual awards, especially Hart and Norris trophies. You have to stand out amongst your peers. A guy like Daniel Alfredsson stands out for me as a guy who was a very good hockey player, but not good enough to go to the HHOF in my opinion. Swedish HHOF, sure. Should the Sens retire his number? Already done. Still not enough for me to think he's worthy of the HHOF. There are plenty of people who think Alfie should be in. Same with Byfuglien. My two cents.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Easy no
    H2H weekly matchups | 12 teams | 2C • 3W • 3D • 1UTIL • 2G • 3BN • 2IR+ | 3 weekly moves

Scoring | 4G, 3A, 0.3+/-, 1PPP, 5SHG, 3SHA, 3GWG, 0.4SOG, 0.2FW, -0.2FL, 0.3HIT, 0.3BLK | 4W, -1GA, 0.25SV, 6SHO

ROSTER:
    (C,W) Stamkos, Giroux
    (C) Barkov, Couturier
    (W) M.Tkachuk, Konecny, Svechnikov, Caufield
    (D) Josi, Morrissey, Theodore, Sanderson
    (G) Bobrovsky, Husso
    (IR+) Vasilevskiy, Matheson

Record: 2-1-0