Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I inherited an old team in a keeper league, here are all the trades I made!!!

Dobber Sports Novice

Default I inherited an old team in a keeper league, here are all the trades I made!!!

10 team keeper, points league standard scoring, roster 20 and keep 10. My philosophy after I inherited this team was to get younger and acquire young wingers (rare position), tank this year for Lafreniere, and then take maybe one more year for the rebuild.

1. Gave Bergeron/Wheeler/Pavelski for 2nd overall pick (Laine) and Meier

2. Gave 4th overall pick (Kakko)and 6th round pick for 14th overall (D. Strome) and Svech

3. Gave Toews for Drouin

4. Gave Stamkos/Hedman/Benn for Rantanen (ok hear me out lol... Stamkos is a C (less value) and coming off a great season and 29, Hedman is a D which I don’t value, and Benn is 30 and has had 2 elite seasons years ago. Rantanen is 22, the most value in the deal, a winger, and has years of MacKinnon ahead)

Roster:

D. Strome
    Hayton
    Glass
    Schmaltz
    Hertl
    Kotkaniemi
    Reinhart
    Meier
    Svechnikov
    Kaprizov
    Debrusk
    Olafsson
    Rantanen
    Laine
    Drouin
    Beauvillier
    Buchnevich
    Kase
    Hayton
    N. Patrick
    Fiala

Barrie

Binnington
    Samsonov
    Demko

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: I inherited an old team in a keeper league, here are all the trades I made!!!

I’m not sure the point of your post. Are you asking for advice or just a review of the deals?
    14 team Fantrax H2H keeper league
    G, A, P, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW, - W, Gaa, Sv%, Svs

C - Crosby, Tavares, Kopitar, Toews
    LW - Hall, Giroux(C), Vrana, Gaudreau
    RW - Pastrnak, Kane, Stamkos(C), Kubalik
    D - Burns, Murphy, Morrisey, Cernak, Whitecloud, Chiarot
    G - Mrazek, Campbell, Brossoit, Greiss
    Bench - Middlestat, Wennberg, Perron, Olofsson, Schwartz, Atkinson, Yama

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Re: I inherited an old team in a keeper league, here are all the trades I made!!!

Sorry... just a rating of the trades, and impressions of my roster

Dobber Sports Stud

Oh no worries!!

1 - like that deal. Especially for the future.
    2 - looks good.

3. Also like it.

4. Purely for tanking sure.

Who would your projected 10 keepers look like then?
    14 team Fantrax H2H keeper league
    G, A, P, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW, - W, Gaa, Sv%, Svs

C - Crosby, Tavares, Kopitar, Toews
    LW - Hall, Giroux(C), Vrana, Gaudreau
    RW - Pastrnak, Kane, Stamkos(C), Kubalik
    D - Burns, Murphy, Morrisey, Cernak, Whitecloud, Chiarot
    G - Mrazek, Campbell, Brossoit, Greiss
    Bench - Middlestat, Wennberg, Perron, Olofsson, Schwartz, Atkinson, Yama

Dobber Sports Novice

Laine
    Rantanen
    Svech
    Meier
    Kaprizov
    Binnington
    Samsonov

Then whichever 3 forwards show the most promise at the end of the season... just playing the odds looking for a lottery ticket

Dobber Sports Sage

1. You get younger but lose this trade in points only league:

Wheeler >> Laine
    Bergeron > Meier (health asterisk on Bergeron)
    And he gets a free roll on pavelski while you get the youth you were after

2. It's probably a wash with kakko and svech, slight short term edge to svech for now but who knows long term. Not sure Strome matters much if you're tanking this season and I don't think you can keep him (bottom end keeper at best). I'm not clear if the picks were for this past year's draft (hopefully) or for next years. Slight win for you if they were for last season, slight loss it they are for the upcoming draft.

3. I prefer Toews to Drouin in points only. Drouins a winger and younger so I'll give you a wash on this one, he just isn't someone I'm targeting.

4. I'm hearing you but I think it's still a really big overpayment.

I'm confused about positional requirements because you don't seem to care about Hedman because he's a d but you are targeting wingers? Leads me to believe there must be a positional requirement to start defencemen and Hedman is a top of the league type guy. Hedman is going to out point alot of forwards on your team. Then there's essentially another free roll on Benn who could still be a bottom end keeper on your team if he turns it around.

Sure we can agree Rantanen > Stamkos, given position but not by the landslide of Hedman and Benn.

Overall you're younger. I always try not to make any huge immediate moves in new leagues, give it some time to adjust to the league. I think you've done alot before November, some of them could look pretty good in two plus years but I'd rather not wait that long in fantasy. Time will tell and good luck with it.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post

4. I'm hearing you but I think it's still a really big overpayment.

I'm confused about positional requirements because you don't seem to care about Hedman because he's a d but you are targeting wingers? Leads me to believe there must be a positional requirement to start defencemen and Hedman is a top of the league type guy. Hedman is going to out point alot of forwards on your team. Then there's essentially another free roll on Benn who could still be a bottom end keeper on your team if he turns it around.

Sure we can agree Rantanen > Stamkos, given position but not by the landslide of Hedman and Benn.
    My thinking is that ideally IÂ’d like to have the advantage at forward keepers year after year, thinking that... because they score more points, itÂ’s better to have an advantage at this position. IÂ’m thinking that an advantage here instead of an advantage at D will give me a greater points differential over my opponent. We start 3c 3lw 3rw 4d 1util 2g.

Yeah the Rantanen deal was overpayment, but I offered Stamkos/Hedman to half the teams in the league for lesser young wingers and no one would bite.

The Great One

It's going to be hard to win this league without an elite D as well - I wouldn't totally ignore this position.

I just don't see how Kaprizov is one of your keepers. He might now be any better than Gusev or countless other Russians. Heck, he might not even come over.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

1. You lose the deal, but get younger, and that's your goal.

2. I like this deal, and it's the only one where I can say that.

3. This deal is at best a wash. Drouin is a guy who was supposed to be elite, and isn't close. I doubt he's a keeper once you decide to try to win.

4. This is frankly, absolutely brutally bad. In most leagues this is a deal which demands the commissioner inquiring why you are making the deal. You have a good answer, which is good. It's unfortunately a grade F- deal.

Overall, I think you decided to deal way too quickly and rashly, but it's your team.

Good luck.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

This exactly the type of stuff I exploit to win leagues. I only think in a 3 year window, and I'm generally happy to take on older players with a great track record at a discount. People put way to much emphasis on age in fantasy. I'm not sure what your team looked to start, or what your league make up is like, but it wouldn't surprise me if you were competitive before completely blowing things up. I don't like any of these deals, but agree with others that the fourth is bad. Really bad.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    This exactly the type of stuff I exploit to win leagues. I only think in a 3 year window, and I'm generally happy to take on older players with a great track record at a discount. People put way to much emphasis on age in fantasy. I'm not sure what your team looked to start, or what your league make up is like, but it wouldn't surprise me if you were competitive before completely blowing things up. I don't like any of these deals, but agree with others that the fourth is bad. Really bad.
    It was a bottom-half-of- the-league aging team... didnÂ’t want to sit on my hands in keeper league purgatory, and lose out on whatever value I could get for Berg/Wheeler/Pavelski/Toews. Compared with the top two or three teams, my keepers were clearly at a disadvantage for years (talent and age-wise), so why not go into a one or two year rebuild in which I can afford to keep lottery tickets on my bench during the season, hoping they manifest in to solid keepers, while at the same time getting Lafreniere and maybe the top overall pick next year?

All that being said, yeah I overpaid for Rantanen. Stamkos/Hedman will still have value in 4-5 years.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think you've wasted a lot of high end assets here to be honest. Your goal of getting younger and increasing the quality of your 10 keepers is a good one, but this is a partial keeper redraft. Not only that but it's only 10 teams deep, so that's only100 kept players.

Everyone keeps a different mix of positions, but I think you need to decide your positional keeper template you want to move forward with.

That way you are moving the assets you know won't fit your plan, but also maximizing the return on those you DO move. For example you probably could've got that Rantanen deal done with a different piece than Hedman who must now be replaced.

My suggestion based on your current roster is something like

C,W,W,W,W,W,W,D,G,G

D.Strome
    Rantanen
    Laine
    Meier
    Svechnikov
    S Reinhart
    Kaprizov - might as well gamble on a possible Kucherov
    D - acquire via trade
    Binnington
    Samsonov
    HFD 12 Team H2H
    G,A,P,+/-,PPP, PIM,HITS
    W,GAA,SV%,SO

Airdrie Analrapists

C O'Reilly, Zibanejad, Hischier
    LW Hall, Teravainen, Arvidsson.V
    RW Stone, Kessel, Laine
    UT RW Radulov, LW Gusev, RW W. Nylander
    D Burns, Dahlin, Dumba, Muzzin, Morrrisey, McNabb
    G Varlamov, Grubauer
    BN G Hutton, G Ullmark, W Bjorkstrand

Minors 25/25
    F Anderson-Dolan, Barré-Boulet, Batherson, Bemström, Dahlen, Fix-Wolansky, Gaudette, Greenway, Kahun, Kakko, Kaliyev, Kaprizov, Lindblom.O, Luff, Mattheos, N Robertson, Terry. T, Thomas. A
    D Hague, Jokiharju, Persson, Wilde, Woo
    G Berdin, Sarek, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by crazedcanuck View Post
    I think you've wasted a lot of high end assets here to be honest. Your goal of getting younger and increasing the quality of your 10 keepers is a good one, but this is a partial keeper redraft. Not only that but it's only 10 teams deep, so that's only100 kept players.

Everyone keeps a different mix of positions, but I think you need to decide your positional keeper template you want to move forward with.

That way you are moving the assets you know won't fit your plan, but also maximizing the return on those you DO move. For example you probably could've got that Rantanen deal done with a different piece than Hedman who must now be replaced.

My suggestion based on your current roster is something like

C,W,W,W,W,W,W,D,G,G

D.Strome
    Rantanen
    Laine
    Meier
    Svechnikov
    S Reinhart
    Kaprizov - might as well gamble on a possible Kucherov
    D - acquire via trade
    Binnington
    Samsonov
    Yeah I gotcha about wasting the limited assets I inherited. I would say “inefficiently spend” maybe instead. Just have to draft well next year and be active in free agency to replenish during my rebuild.

IÂ’m not completely against keeping maybe 1d if I can find one, but typically IÂ’d really like to have good enough forwards to merit keeping like 8w/2g or 1c/7w/2g every year, and then get my 4d from the draft.

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks for all the replies. If I knew how to rep, I would

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    I'm not sure what your team looked to start, or what your league make up is like, but it wouldn't surprise me if you were competitive before completely blowing things up.
    It wasnÂ’t that bad, but it wouldnÂ’t contend for a championship. I think IÂ’ll be able to hit on a couple high ceiling players in the next year or two, to get me closer to 10 solid sustainable keepers. Just have to play the odds.

Before:

Danault
    Bergeron
    Toews
    Stamkos
    Pavelski
    A Johnnson
    Benn
    A Shaw
    Wheeler
    Hertl
    Gourde