Thread: Is it ever too late to learn how to play hockey?

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Is it ever too late to learn how to play hockey?

Hey everyone,
    I never knew anything about hockey and no one I knew did either. When I came to college I started paying attention to the Rangers and got addicted. Huge chunks of my days are now spent watching NHL games, or sitting on youtube for hours watching hockey videos.

I love hockey, but I feel like a hypocrite having never played. I would love to learn but I have no idea where to start. So do you guys think it would be possible for someone that can barely ice skate to be able to learn the basics and eventually be able to play a pick up game? And if so how?

Thanks!

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Is it ever too late to learn how to play hockey?

Sure. There are leagues for everyone.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Noahjacob View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I never knew anything about hockey and no one I knew did either. When I came to college I started paying attention to the Rangers and got addicted. Huge chunks of my days are now spent watching NHL games, or sitting on youtube for hours watching hockey videos.

I love hockey, but I feel like a hypocrite having never played. I would love to learn but I have no idea where to start. So do you guys think it would be possible for someone that can barely ice skate to be able to learn the basics and eventually be able to play a pick up game? And if so how?

Thanks!
    I've played street hockey, but cannot ice skate. Can you roller skate? If so, that may be an option for a ball hockey or deck hockey league.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don't think it's ever too late to learn how to play our wonderful game! My advice would be to spend as much time as you can skating before picking up a hockey stick. Maybe take a learn to skate or beginner power skating course? Once you are able to stop and start safely, then find a beginner league and play your heart out.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I've played street hockey, but cannot ice skate. Can you roller skate? If so, that may be an option for a ball hockey or deck hockey league.
    Man, did I love street hockey. It was so big to us we'd order trophies, even an MVP one and hand them out after our Elm Street Hockey Tourney. I played goalie. A bad idea in the dead of winter. A frozen tennis ball can really hurt. I'm shocked I fathered 3 kids...heck, now that I think of it, I probably should go on Maury to see if I actually am the father.

Never too late to do ANYTHING in life that you're driven to do. I hope you go balls out to play and experience the joys of the game. I only played one year before our town pulled the plug on the hockey program. I wish it had lasted longer.

Good luck in your pursuit. I bet you don't regret it but watch your grill.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

Dobber Sports Superstar

Take some skating lessons, there should be a rink near you to try.
    PS wear a helmut to start
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I started playing ice hockey in my early 20s. Before then I could barely skate. My brother and I took beginner level power skating lessons to learn the basics to skating - stopping, going backwards, changing directions. We like power skating lessons because you get to wear hockey gear while learning so you aren't scared to fall.

Then we started going to beginner drop-ins once a week. After a couple years, we started playing in the lowest of lowest tier of men's beer league. It's been about 10 years since we started playing and I'm 33 now and still in the lowest tier hockey. Haha. But it's the highlight of my week every week
    SBF Keeper League // 10 Teams // NHL Salary Cap //
    4C, 8W, 6D, 1G, 4B
    G=3pts, A=2pts, Shots=.2, PIMS=.2, Blocks=.2pts, Hits=.2pts, PPP=.5pts, SHP=1pt, GWG=.5pts,
    W=3pts, SO=4pts, GA=-.5, Saves=.1pt

St. Petterssons

C: Pettersson, Zacha, Novak, Kurashev, Lapierre
    W: Kucherov, Draisaitl, Hyman, W Nylander, Bratt, P Kane, Roslovic, Milano, A Nylander, M Jones
    D: Theodore, Seider, Gostisbehere, Harley, York, Perunovich, Sandin
    G: Skinner

*Bold means I can't drop them (but I can trade them).

Dobber Sports Master

in my younger days while living in north bay / sudbury for 3 years my fav thing to do was head to toronto on weekends and play pikup hockey with my best friend that lived there and his group of friends he met . After our icetime concluded the next group of people renting the ice were all newbies to hockey from a variety of ethnic backgrounds . they all had patchwork equipment and could barely skate but they were having so much fun out there that you couldnt help but smile .

Dobber Sports Initiate

It's never too late and it's a game for all ages. I've played against teams that are 50+ and we got smoked since they've been playing together for 25+ years and know all their drills..

Either way, start by skating since that's the #1 thing for hockey. Some arenas offer Shinny hockey (puck and stick, lighter equipment, no slap shots) so you can get a feel of skating with sticks and balancing. Down the road you can join house leagues for fun.

Equipment can get pricey though but definitely get a good pair of skates first.

Have fun!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Noahjacob View Post
    Hey everyone,

Thanks!
    Great post!

1) It's definitely never too late to learn, and it's not as difficult as it seems.
    2) There are tonnes, and I mean tonnes, of hockey fans who have never played. So no, you're definitely not a hypocrite.
    3) If you really do want to learn to play, I highly recommend learning to skate first, on its own without a stick. There are many reasons for this, but it's tested and true. You'll thank me.

Enjoy.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Good posts.
    I'd highly recommend getting a pair of roller-blades/inline skates (not sure what they're officially called these days).
    There's just way more surface out in the world on asphalt & concrete than there is ice. (Unless a nice calm lake happens to freeze near you!)
    I have some friends who grew up in the southern US playing roller-hockey and transitioned to ice-hockey pretty well.
    At a later age, that's the best way to do it.

Dobber Sports Titan

Never too late in life to try something new. Just be prepared to fall lol. I play every week and it's definitely tough, but I miss and get depressed every time I have to miss a game. I broke my ankle in the summer and went to every game to watch just because it's such a fun experience to not only play and watch, but to be around your friends. There's something different about shooting the poop with your hockey team than with your friends.

Also a cold beer when cooling down after the game, nothing beats that.

Pretty much saying not only is the actual game fun, but the locker room and friendships are the next best thing.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

Agree with the others that it's never too late! And I also recommend to start by focusing on skating alone and investing in some lessons to get you on your feet and the basics, and go from there.

In terms of transitioning from skating to hockey, it's true that there are a ton of leagues out there. In fact, depending on where you live, some larger metro areas have programs specifically designed and tightly managed for beginning adult players to get in the game.

For instance, HNA (Hockey North America) is a huge organization with leagues all over the place and which (at least in my metro area) has a great intro program that I've known a number of friends start with. It starts with basic skating/learn-to-play clinics run by knowledgable teachers/hockey staff. Those clinics transition into joining a beginner-level league with a teacher/hockey staff serving as a "coach" for the first little bit while the team gets assimilated into league play. Ultimately, the "coach" steps aside and the team spreads its wings and manages itself just like all the others. While not inexpensive compared to other rec leagues, HNA is great for beginners because those programs/leagues are managed very, very tightly in terms of holding individual player evaluations at the beginning of every season to ensure that all players in the league are suitable for that league -- by which I mean that they ensure people aren't playing down/serving as a ringer when they should be playing at a higher level. They are very strict about it, and do so to ensure that a fun/competitive environment is maintained for all involved, regardless of that league's level of play (from true beginner, to intermediate, experienced, high-level competitive and beyond).

Worth checking out to see if there is such a program in your area.

Have fun!
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Dobber Sports Recruit

Hi, good you posted such a thread. I have admired hockey since my school days, but as you mentioned, I also never played in the field. But I have played a lot on my pc video games like NHL 18. You know what, my friend circle never like hockey, but I have strong passion inside me. I wanna learn too, but not much opportunity in our locality.

Dobber Sports Pro

I didn't start playing till i was 30. Joined a morning hockey group - mixed league with a wide range of levels from beginner to really good - played from 600 to 700am mondays and fridays. usually about 20 players with goalies. Super fun with the right people. Try setting up your own league - we would divide everyone into 6 groups - and it would be like 123 vs 456 then 146 s 235 the next game etc.
    NA Hockey League 16 team H2H league multicat
    2010/2011 2014/2015 Champs

Saad, Kesler, Monahan, Ladd, T. Johnson, Hoffman, Neiderrieter, D. Sedin, O'Reilly, Hudler

Wideman, Barrie, Stralman, Muzzin, Enstrom, Vatanen

Miller, Lack, Elliot