Thread: Mike Matheson input?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Mike Matheson input?

Mike Matheson.....whats the deal with this dude?

Ranked somewhat high by dobber, but dude does not produce or on the power play. Is he a long term project?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Mike Matheson input?

If you're looking for 30ish pts he's your guy. Doesnt see much pptoi because of Yandle and Ekblad, and the only way that changes is do to injuries or a change of scenery/trade.
    Good player just being caught in a bad situation.
    I think hes a 40-50pt+ guy in another situation.

Dobber Sports Padawan

When Dobber says he's high on Matheson, I think he means that in the context of a super deep keeper league where you can stash him on your bench in case an opportunity opens up. Matheson doesn't get a sniff of power-play time, so I wouldn't bother with him in a single-season league. 30 points now, could be better in another situation seems fair to me.
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thanks for the insight....keeper leagues are all relative. Super deep, anything goes where Matheson is relevant. I play in a 12 team dynasty....I guess it is middle deep, sorta deep. But you have to see who is scoring or getting PP. Matheson is doing neither.

Administrator

I'd argue the last time he put up big offensive numbers relative to his age is 2013, his first year in college. Since then he was never bad but also never outstanding at any level. Personally I think his points potential is a bit overrated. There's a difference between having tons of talent and being able to use that talent to produce points.

If you're familiar with PNHLe (using points vs age and league expectations to determine future upside), here's the chart for Matheson:
    https://nhlrankking.com/Dobber/?id=76333

As a counter-point, some of the work I did for the fantasy guy involved when players are expected to break and who is ready to take a step forward. Long story short, Matheson might still be about two years away from hitting his peak.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I'd argue the last time he put up big offensive numbers relative to his age is 2013, his first year in college. Since then he was never bad but also never outstanding at any level. Personally I think his points potential is a bit overrated. There's a difference between having tons of talent and being able to use that talent to produce points.

If you're familiar with PNHLe (using points vs age and league expectations to determine future upside), here's the chart for Matheson:
    https://nhlrankking.com/Dobber/?id=76333

As a counter-point, some of the work I did for the fantasy guy involved when players are expected to break and who is ready to take a step forward. Long story short, Matheson might still be about two years away from hitting his peak.
    Very interesting, thanks.

Matheson is one of those "musical chair" guys - lots of teams will have him, then drop him, etc., but the guy who ends up with him when he finally breaks out will be super lucky and will keep him for years. Those players are frustrating because you just know when you drop him the music may stop very soon and you'll regret it!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Administrator

The way things have been going for Matheson it's possible his "breakout" is in the 30-35 range. What that would mean to his fantasy value depends on the league.

"Breakout" and "peak" don't necessarily mean crazy high numbers.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust