Thread: Who is taking over the crease next year?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Who is taking over the crease next year?

I made out like a bandit drafting Vas in a late round in the last year of Bishop's contract with Tampa. There are a few goalie situations which are looking similar this year. I am wondering what people's thoughts are on who might be manning the crease next year for these teams. All these teams' starters are in the last year of their contract. Will they resign the current starter or move on to new blood?

Washington
    Chicago (both Crawford and Lehner in last year)
    Detroit
    Ottawa
    Vancouver

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Who is taking over the crease next year?

It's a lot early to make these assumptions but I'll take a guess:

Washington - I can see them trying to re-sign Holtby to a short term deal, say 2yrs, giving Samsonov the time to progress. Who knows, by the end of this yr he might be ready to run with it but its too early to assume that. Not sure Holtby even goes for that, but thats my guess here.

Chicago - I'm assuming Lehner takes over the starting role after re-signing.

Detroit - Another short term deal for Howard

Ottawa - see Detroit for Anderson

Vancouver- Markstrom has been awesome early on. I expect he gets a new deal before the season ends, probably a 3yr deal. Demko will back him up.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Washington: Samsonov will be on the team, and I peg him the most likely starter because he's the safest bet to be a Capital. Holtby could re-sign, sign elsewhere, or get traded or his rights traded.

Chicago: I think next year's incumbent is on the roster, but I don't know who it is. I think one of Lehner/Crawford gets brought back.

Detroit: They should move on, but they may not. There's a new GM who is likely going to look at things differently, so I think they don't bring Howard back as a clear starter. Bernier is under contract, and can be a backup again there.

Ottawa: Anderson is done, he's 38 and not good any longer. Nilsson is under contract, and if he plays well enough, he can take the job this year, and conceivably be the incumbent for next year. It's abit of a longshot, but he's likely the cheapest backup with a real shot at a starting job in the league; and Ottawa gave him a 2 year deal this past offseason.

Vancouver ( edit, forgot them): Markstrom is likely the guy. He's playing well, team on rise, shouldn't be crazy expensive unless he shines brightly this year, which means he'll deserve it more.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Monster

Washington - This will be a funny answer that will swing based on nightly performances. I would think Washington tries to resign Holtby, but failing that they will probably go with Samsonov and a veteran FA who will split with him. This could depend a lot on Backstrom's # - how much does he want to stay in Washington?
    Chicago (both Crawford and Lehner in last year) - Lehner probably? Depends on Crawfords health.
    Detroit - Bernier and a UFA pickup.
    Ottawa - Think this is probably it for Anderson. Nilsson and either a system goalie (Gustavsson?) or a UFA pickup.
    Vancouver - I don't think they rush Demko. Markstrom will probably hold onto the job for now.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Novice

I would guess Chicago's first choice is to keep Lehner but not for an expensive cap hit
    Detroit will go another short term with Howard
    Ottawa will almost certainly go with Nilsson with Gustavsson or Hogberg as backup
    I think Vancouver will stick with Markstrom
    - The Fan

11 Team Dynasty Cap League
    9 Forwards, 4 Defense, 1 Goalie, 8 Bench
    Keep 17 each year (drop 4 minimum)
    G=1, A=1, +/-=0.2, PIM=0.1, Hits=0.1, Blks=0.1, W=2, SO=2

McDavid, Stamkos, Schiefele, Eichel, Marner, Wilson, Pettersson, Pacioretty, Zegras, Terry, Granlund, Atkinson, Tippett
    Rielly, Sergachev, Theodore, Orlov, Karlsson, Sanderson
    Smith, Merzlikins

2018-19 Champion
    2019-20 Champion
    2020-21 Champion

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

Washington - I can see them trying to re-sign Holtby to a short term deal, say 2yrs, giving Samsonov the time to progress. Who knows, by the end of this yr he might be ready to run with it but its too early to assume that. Not sure Holtby even goes for that, but thats my guess here.

Vancouver- Markstrom has been awesome early on. I expect he gets a new deal before the season ends, probably a 3yr deal. Demko will back him up.
    I fully agree with this.

Dobber Sports Master

I wonder how connected to the washington area Holtby has become . Would he take a haircut to split load with Sammy for a few years or test the market . I'd imagine since he's western canadian he wouldnt object to playing for Calgary (saying this without regard for their future cap room)

another interesting goalie to watch is Oettinger / Dallas and how they break him in

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I see some people think Anderson get another deal from Ottawa at 38, and not really being good anymore. I'm confused by that. Is it because you guys think Melnyk will want the cheap known commodity?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I see some people think Anderson get another deal from Ottawa at 38, and not really being good anymore. I'm confused by that. Is it because you guys think Melnyk will want the cheap known commodity?
    I think he gets another short term deal. Yes he's older and yes his numbers aren't great so far, but the team in front of him isn't great either. He's started 5 of the 7 Sens games. They clearly still see him as their starting goalie.

Who knows what the Sens will do but I won't be surprised if he's back for at least one more year.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

On board with this, except Ottawa. I don't think the Senators will re-sign Anderson. I think they will pick up a younger/cheaper goalie. Somebody like Brian Elliott.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm not so sure VAN holds on to Markstrom. They have expansion draft protection concerns to worry about very soon
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner