Thread: Justin Faulk is Not Hitting

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Justin Faulk is Not Hitting

...on pace anyway...Over the past 8 seasons Faulk has averaged 1.6+ hits per game...at 0.5 in 7 games this year. Can anyone contest to his usage on the blues or if he's just going to be in a very different role this year.

I've read a few of the other Faulk forums going on talking about his bouncing around the lineup and different usage. I'm considering a drop in a multicat cap league as he's chewing up 4.8 mil for me.
    NHL 16 Team, Keeper - Keep 22 / 44 (11 NHLers, 11 Prospects)
    NHL 15 Team, Dynasty
    NHL 10 Team, One Year
    NHL 8 Team, Cap League
    NFL 12 Team, 0.5 PPR
    NFL 10 Team, Standard Non PPR
    NFL 8 Team, 0.5 PPR
    MLB 10 Team, Roto

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Justin Faulk is Not Hitting

Most players (most!)... when they join a new team... they have to feel-out what role they need to play.
    Hitters, often, take themselves out of a play - which some coaching staffs & systems very much dislike.
    If a player is going to throw a hit, it is usually part of a system where all on-ice teammates know that they need to cover for that player.
    CAR was a very solid supporting defensive system... so one player could throw a big hit and the others would be able to cover marks for that player.

I think Faulk is playing a bit "safe" until he knows when/where he can make the risks to play a little more physical.
    The Blues defenders have never been a bit hitting (by quantity) group. The forwards do the hitting on that team.

I think you give Faulk another 2-3 weeks... that should be enough to see if he'll ramp back up... of if this is his new role.
    HITTING is VERY overrated (IMO) for defensemen... Nick Lidstrom was never a big-quantity hitter and he was just fine in a defensive role.
    This is a concept that people in the analytics/management roles are very aware of these days in the NHL.
    I think we'll continue to see Hit-quantities for Defensemen drop... along with D-size... in favour of D-speed and footwork.
    This decrease will actually put a PREMIUM on the HIT/BLK NHL-defensemen that do still exist.
    Food for thought.

The Great One

I feel it is too early to draw conclusions about Faulk's role in St. Louis. I'm cautiously optimistic that he will revert to hitting/blocking at his usual rate but only time will tell. I don't think anyone can say for certain at this stage what type of player Faulk will be in St. Louis.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Most players (most!)... when they join a new team... they have to feel-out what role they need to play.
    Hitters, often, take themselves out of a play - which some coaching staffs & systems very much dislike.
    If a player is going to throw a hit, it is usually part of a system where all on-ice teammates know that they need to cover for that player.
    CAR was a very solid supporting defensive system... so one player could throw a big hit and the others would be able to cover marks for that player.

I think Faulk is playing a bit "safe" until he knows when/where he can make the risks to play a little more physical.
    The Blues defenders have never been a bit hitting (by quantity) group. The forwards do the hitting on that team.

I think you give Faulk another 2-3 weeks... that should be enough to see if he'll ramp back up... of if this is his new role.
    HITTING is VERY overrated (IMO) for defensemen... Nick Lidstrom was never a big-quantity hitter and he was just fine in a defensive role.
    This is a concept that people in the analytics/management roles are very aware of these days in the NHL.
    I think we'll continue to see Hit-quantities for Defensemen drop... along with D-size... in favour of D-speed and footwork.
    This decrease will actually put a PREMIUM on the HIT/BLK NHL-defensemen that do still exist.
    Food for thought.
    Great stuff here - thnx P7. Faulk entering some real prime years as well. I need to hold.
    Good advice about St. Louis, Frozen Pool tells me Faulk is adjusting and learning the new system. (not to mention Blais is hitting enough for everyone)
    Looking back at CAR, Faulk, De Haan and Hamilton were 3 out of top 5 for hits. Hopefully (for my fantasy league anyways) Faulk will fill in what Pat Maroon left behind.

Appreciate this.

Thnx
    NHL 16 Team, Keeper - Keep 22 / 44 (11 NHLers, 11 Prospects)
    NHL 15 Team, Dynasty
    NHL 10 Team, One Year
    NHL 8 Team, Cap League
    NFL 12 Team, 0.5 PPR
    NFL 10 Team, Standard Non PPR
    NFL 8 Team, 0.5 PPR
    MLB 10 Team, Roto

Dobber Sports Initiate

Faulk will be fine
    19 Team Roto Cash League
    Salary Cap
    Keep 13-15 (Auction Draft)
    Start - 4C, 4 LW, 3RW, 6 D, 2G
    Amateur Draft
    12 Farm System
    7 Reserve

C - Chytil, Geekie, Pageau, Rasmussen, Drury
    LW - Macelli, Hoglander, Greig, Knies
    RW - Joseph, Barabanov, Tuch, Tippet, O'Connor
    D - Harley, Vlasic, Moser, Perunovich, Liljegren, Boqvist
    G - Gustavsson, Daccord

Farm - But, Lucius, Nazar, Snuggerud, Wallstedt, McGroarty, Lekkerimaki, Mateychuk, Savoie, Willander

Standard Point System
    G, A, +-, PIM's, GAA, Sv%