Thread: Use waiver on any of these tenders?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Use waiver on any of these tenders?

Hey guys,

I have the 4th waiver, and am considering dropping Dubnyk for either Kuemper or Mrazek.

Who would you prefer from those two choices?

To take it a step further, what about dropping both Dubnyk and Lehnar for both Kuemper and Mrazek? (not sure I would get both as my 4th waiver would cycle to the last waiver after the first pick uo, as most are aware).

So who is the better goalie to grab, Kuemper or Mrazek, or both?

Will rep as always, thanks!

2C-Barkov, Dubois
    2LW- Svechnikov, Marchessault
    2RW-Kucherov, Wilson
    4D-Josi, Dahlin, Provorov, DeAngelo
    2UTIL- Suzuki, Fiala
    2G- Hellebuyck, Rittich, Rinne
    Under-23- Pettersson
    B- Weber, Severson
    IR: Couture, Boeser

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Use waiver on any of these tenders?

I would use a waiver on Mrazek.

The Great One

I'm really liking Kuemper here over Lehner. I'd hang on to Dubnyk for now though, even though he has struggled to start the season. Historically, Dubnyk has been a clear cut #1 goalie, so I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

Mrazek's situation is also intriguing, but Reimer and Mrazek seem to be splitting time which surprises me. Maybe it shouldn't surprise me, considering the same thing happened last season with Mrazek and McElhinney, but for some reason I didn't expect much competition from Reimer. I think I'd steer clear of that whole mess for the time being at least.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

The Great One

Pre-season Id have said Mrazek but tbh I traded Mrazek for Dubnyk in two different leagues AND when I posted had multiple people chime in the same. Bottom line I think theyre fairly similar value albeit offering completely different output. Dubnyk offers games played volume on a mediocre team and generally regarded as "just above average" goaltending. translation: youll get a shton of starts at mediocre results- so if youre in a league with a lot of counting stats where W's are just one of many hes the better play where more traditional "Wins and Shutouts" only formats you might want to avoid him. In Mrazek hes basically platooning but you have your fingers corssed that as the 1a the team starts to favor him. hes regarded as having very good skill but with consistency issues and the hope is that hes ironed those out. Carolina additionally provides tremendous defensive depth for a goalie- one of a handful of teams where you can have success with a "systems goalie" or a "first stop goalie"- which basically just means they only have to focus on the first (and obvious) shot. The upside with an average NHL goalie is a guy like Crawford. The upside with a higher end NHL goalie is a guy like Quick (in his heyday). So in Mrazek youre going for substantially less starts but more upside especially if he can become the outright starter. In a ins only league I think hes the play- but in a categories league youll miss out on a lot of the counting stats.

Yours is based on Sv% as opposed to saves which sounds trivial but is immensely important. i think I would take Mrazek in your format with the following caveats:

a) Mrazek is actually losing the SV% battle to Reimer and Optimus reim is much more of a threat to clear cut starting than many people want to give him credit for

AND

b) Dubnyk is NOT this bad. he will turn it around and probably goes on a hot run fairly soon to end up at his usual 30ish wins. Minnesota line combos are a mixof bad, couner-intuitive and extremely frusterating- lol! In boudreau we trust though and he'll figure it out.

Again based on your league running with GAA and SV% Im taking Mrazek. Also as an added aside- hellboy is 99% going to be your keeper goalie but if he/winnipeg falters really badly and Mrazek takes over the number one gig- he could prove to be a viable keep option. Dubnyk is very "meh" if he has to be your keeper by default.