Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trading Sidney Crosby for Rantanen

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Trading Sidney Crosby for Rantanen

I guess I’m the crazy one here. I have Rantanen in a dynasty and wouldn’t trade him for Crosby straight up. So this is an accept for me.

Crosby is 32 (10 years older) and a C only (a lot deeper position).

Rantanen is only getting better and entering his prime, not leaving it. Being attached to Mackinnon’s hip is a huge plus.

Although it’s a small sample size, Crosby has only a hair better PPG than Rantanen so far this season.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by McDeichel View Post
    I guess I’m the crazy one here. I have Rantanen in a dynasty and wouldn’t trade him for Crosby straight up. So this is an accept for me.

Rantanen is only getting better and entering his prime, not leaving it. Being attached to Mackinnon’s hip is a huge plus.

Although it’s a small sample size, Crosby has only a hair better PPG than Rantanen so far this season.
    I have Crosby and would actually love to get Rantanen, but feel Crosby has a higher value then Rantanen at least right now. The problem is how much longer does he hold that value above Rantanen? I also have Mackinnon and Landeskog as two of my 5 keepers so adding Rantanen I think would be lethal if the Avs would go off in a game. I just don't want to trade Crosby straight up for Rantanen because Crosby is a most like 90 point player and possibly 100 point player and I don't see Rantanen there yet. Maybe 90, but not 100 points.

Dobber Sports Jedi

C is deep, but Crosby is a top 5 C in that heap.
    We're 7 games into the season - you can't use PPG's to establish anything yet.

Rantanen's career high in points doesn't break Crosby's top 10 seasons in points.

Crosby at 32 doesn't mean what it does to 90% of other NHL players. When he's 36... then we can start talking about age.
    It's still Sid until it's not.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Swedish Meatball View Post
    For some reason this season owners don't want to trade this early. I can somewhat understand that. I will hold off until later in the season. It certainly isn't like Crosby is hurting my team or anything.
    Well that is a hold up. Lots of hockey left. I wouldn't let this be a bother.
    Maybe circle back around to this early November (say between the 6th to 8th).
    12 team Card Hockey League. Use stats from last NHL season ex: 2022-23 stats will be used for our 23-24 season cards
    Fwds: MacKinnon, Pastrnak, Rantanen, M Tkachuk Scheifele, Marchand, B Nelson, Stephenson, J Toews, R Thomas, Lundell, E Rodrigues, Sissons, Lowry, M Foligno, D Guenther, Mangiapane, Pacioretty, Huberdeau, Wheeler
    Dmen: Makar, D Toews, Dobson, Sergachev, S Jones, Graves, Carlo, Gudas, Byram, Girard, Thrun
    Goalies: Vanecek, Francouz, Samsonov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    C is deep, but Crosby is a top 5 C in that heap.
    We're 7 games into the season - you can't use PPG's to establish anything yet.

Rantanen's career high in points doesn't break Crosby's top 10 seasons in points.

Crosby at 32 doesn't mean what it does to 90% of other NHL players. When he's 36... then we can start talking about age.
    It's still Sid until it's not.
    I agree with you. I may entertain this much later in the season when I am thinking about solidifying my 5 keepers and the future of my team. Right now Sid is certainly not hurting my team and he is not going to hurt it this season. So it is not a dire need to trade him. Sure if I get an overwhelming offer for him like McDavid I would trade him, or Rantanen and a #1 and #2 than I would do it. We shall see what offers come in.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Rantanen's career high in points doesn't break Crosby's top 10 seasons in points
    Refer to my one player entering his prime and the other exiting his prime. I would be keeping Crosby from 5 years ago any day. But as the seasons go by expect less and less of a return.

You’re top 10 seasons (which is the past) has nothing to do with trading him now. You just hope the GM on the other side is still dreaming of Crosby’s best 10 seasons to maximize your return.

Gretzky only had one 100 point season after the time he turned 32. Crosby’s best season doesn’t even touch Gretzky‘s best 5 seasons.

Get Rantanen while you still can for Crosby

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Refer to my one player entering his prime and the other exiting his prime. I would be keeping Crosby from 5 years ago any day. But as the seasons go by expect less and less of a return.

You’re top 10 seasons (which is the past) has nothing to do with trading him now. You just hope the GM on the other side is still dreaming of Crosby’s best 10 seasons to maximize your return.

Gretzky only had one 100 point season after the time he turned 32. Crosby’s best season doesn’t even touch Gretzky‘s best 5 seasons.

I agree, this is a keeper league where we keep 4 skaters and 1 goalie each year. My goalie is already set in Vasi and I have Mackinnon, Landeskog, Hedman with Crosby/Forsberg/Ehlers as options for my 4th skater. I also have young players like Makar and Quinn Hughes as well. So that is another reason I want to move Crosby by at least seasons end to either add an upgrade to my 4th keeper or give a shot to these younger players as my 4th keeper and get draft picks in return.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Crosby > Rantanen for at least 2 more years.

In a keep 4/5 - you keep the best current players. Not who will be in 2+

Sid had 100pts last year. His most since he was 26 years old. Ovechkin - 2 years older has had his two highest point totals in years the past two seasons. Burns also 34 having career seasons. Wheeler - also 34 having career year after year.

I'll take Crosby to push past 100 easily this year. Don't be surprised if he gives his career high of 120 a run.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Sid had 100pts last year. His most since he was 26 years old. Ovechkin - 2 years older has had his two highest point totals in years the past two seasons. Burns also 34 having career seasons. Wheeler - also 34 having career year after year.

I'll take Crosby to push past 100 easily this year. Don't be surprised if he gives his career high of 120 a run.
    Right now if Crosby isn't traded and he is on my team by the time keepers need to be in next season he is most certainly one of my 4 skater keepers.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

In this format I would keep Vasilevskiy, Hedman, Mackinnon, and Zibanejad. I would trade Crosby for Rantanen for my final keeper.

2 things to point out. First, Zibanejad is the most underrated multi cat fantasy player in the league. You gotta keep him. Second, you don’t want to carry over all centers. By diversifying, you get best player in the redraft as opposed to best player that is not a center in your redraft.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

In this format I would keep Vasilevskiy, Hedman, Mackinnon, and Zibanejad. I would trade Crosby for Rantanen for my final keeper.

2 things to point out. First, Zibanejad is the most underrated multi cat fantasy player in the league. You gotta keep him. Second, you don’t want to carry over all centers. By diversifying, you get best player in the redraft as opposed to best player that is not a center in your redraft.
    You would keep Mika over Landeskog?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I would. Zibanejad is a beast. Trade Landy for picks end of season

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I would. Zibanejad is a beast. Trade Landy for picks end of season
    This is why I really like my team because I have many options. I have several players that could fit my 4th skater keeper. Crosby would be the safe obvious option, Landeskog, Forsberg, and then if Makar explodes onto the scene he could be hard to drop as well. Than you bring up great points about Mika. Even better is 3 out of the 5 of those options are Swedish players.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Might not even be in the league in 2 years time.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Might not even be in the league in 2 years time.
    The thing is I have an entire season to work with what I have. You never know I might be offered McDavid and he might become one of my keepers. You are totally correct though that two years down the road I have know idea what life has in store for me. I may still be plugging away in this league or I may be married with a kid and done with it all. Who knows. I pretty much take these Fantasy league things week to week. I try to do the best I can in the week I am in right now and when the next week comes I worry about that one.