Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adding Alex Edler?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Adding Alex Edler?

I guys,

Last season, before getting injured, Edler was on pace for a 50 points season. If he stays on the first powerplay unit (and healthy), I like his chances here. But how long before Hughes gets the opportunity to QB this powerplay. That's what frightens me out.

I really want to drop Nick Leddy. Do you think I should go with Edler or Gardiner? Should I be worry of Hughes being ready to take on that QB role?

Thanks

The Great One

Default Re: Adding Alex Edler?

Hughes will at some point overtake Edler, without question. I don't know if that will happen this year, though. As long as he is healthy, I can see Edler hang onto the PP spot for this season.

Leddy is nothing special, imo, and is likely behind Toews and possibly Pulock on the PP depth chart. I don't see any reason not to drop him for Edler, keeping in mind of course that Edler has a history of getting injured so there is some risk here.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Jedi

he's a better option than Leddy.
    this must be a points only pool
    Edler is a MUST OWN PP1 or PP2 in Multi-cat pools
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd take both Edler and Gardiner over Leddy. And per the ^, if this is a multi-cat setting Edler is total no-brainer.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Actualluy, it's a point only league (1 goal = 1 point, 1 assist= 1 point). 4 moves allowed. One year league.

Time on the powerplay is so important. If Edler slips to the second powerplay unit (hughes takes his spot), it could be desastrous for his numbers (Vancouver doesn't have the depth to run two good PP units). The hurricanes, on the other side, have two great PP units. Even if Gardiner slips to the second unit, he'd still play with great players and get some good chances.

What are your thoughts on that?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I would easily take Edler or even Gardiner over Leddy. I believe I'd lean towards Edler over Gardiner. The Q. Hughes situation is going to be played out over time, but I think he still needs some growing time before that occurs and this is coming from someone who has him on her team. So definitely improve your team and drop Leddy and add Edler.

Dobber Sports Genius

Edler will have the top PP until he gets hurts (wishing him good health but it happens almost yearly). I would easily take him over Leddy and Gardiner, however your only allowed 4 moves for the whole year? Can you clarify that?
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Sophomore

4 moves = 4 acquisitions.

I already used one of these moves to get Reilly Smith (and I moved Zuccarello to my IR+ spot). So, I still have 3 moves in bank.

I know it's really early to make another move, but that's what happens when you make mistakes on Draft day. I feel that if I don't take some risks, I don't stand a chance of winning this year.

At the end of the day, It's all about opportunity cost.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by 1000er View Post
    4 moves = 4 acquisitions.

I already used one of these moves to get Reilly Smith (and I moved Zuccarello to my IR+ spot). So, I still have 3 moves in bank.

I know it's really early to make another move, but that's what happens when you make mistakes on Draft day. I feel that if I don't take some risks, I don't stand a chance of winning this year.

At the end of the day, It's all about opportunity cost.
    Hmm this is tough then. I think Edler will pace 50 all year but might end up with only 30ish points. I don't think Nick Leddy bounces back 40+ but somewhere between 20 to 25 points sounds right. So you will gain 10 to 15 points from an Edler add. I feel Gardiner will pace high 30's/low 40's and should stay healthy to reach those numbers. With all that being said I am confident that both Edler and Gardiner will have more point then Leddy by years end. If you feel you must make this move then I go Edler and hope he stays healthier then normal.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I might wait for someone on my league to throw me a fat pitch too... I still don't know yet.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by 1000er View Post
    Actualluy, it's a point only league (1 goal = 1 point, 1 assist= 1 point). 4 moves allowed. One year league.

Time on the powerplay is so important. If Edler slips to the second powerplay unit (hughes takes his spot), it could be desastrous for his numbers (Vancouver doesn't have the depth to run two good PP units). The hurricanes, on the other side, have two great PP units. Even if Gardiner slips to the second unit, he'd still play with great players and get some good chances.

What are your thoughts on that?
    I would wait a bit... you could need all 4 moves for injuries.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Having byfuglien on my roster, i'm a little bit more nervous... Though, Morgan Reilly, John Carlson, Giordano, and Weber are compensating a bit for Byfuglien and Leddy.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Hmm this is tough then. I think Edler will pace 50 all year but might end up with only 30ish points. I don't think Nick Leddy bounces back 40+ but somewhere between 20 to 25 points sounds right. So you will gain 10 to 15 points from an Edler add. I feel Gardiner will pace high 30's/low 40's and should stay healthy to reach those numbers. With all that being said I am confident that both Edler and Gardiner will have more point then Leddy by years end. If you feel you must make this move then I go Edler and hope he stays healthier then normal.
    This is my assessment of the situation as well. The big factor here is that you only have three moves left, and if you make this one you will be down to your last two moves. I don't feel qualified/knowledgeable enough about your league to know if leaving yourself only two moves for the rest of the entire season is a good idea or not. That seems very risky to me, for such a marginal upgrade.

What happens if a player on your team suffers a long-term injury? If you need to replace him, does that use of one of your three (or two) remaining moves?
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Yes it would. I would be down to only two moves.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yikes!!! 3 more moves for the entire season. That may be time to rethink things a bit. You don't want to be stuck with a few months to go with players who are injured and can't make a roster move because you made a parallel move early in the season. If you really feel that Edler is a upgrade to Leddy and this will give you that edge than make the move, but I will advice you to not make another move until the New Year.