Thread: Any room for Schmaltz?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Any room for Schmaltz?

Schmaltz is on FA... want to see if there's room for him on my team (in sig).

I'm thinking either Miller or Hughes.. thoughts?
    H2H 12-Team Keeper (8 + 4 rookies*) - G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SA, SV%, SHO

C: Larkin, RNH, Kuznetsov
    LW: Draisaitl, Keller, Meier, Lehkonen, Benn
    RW: DeBrincat, Reinhart, Boldy
    D: Q. Hughes, Weeger, Gudas, York, Andersson, Durzi
    G: Skinner*, Talbot, Allen, Stolarz, Wolf*
    IR+: Larkin, Trouba, Vilardi

H2H 12-Team - G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    IR:
    G:

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Any room for Schmaltz?

Swapping Hughes would be your only real option.. and I would really hesitate to do that based on one 3pt night vs. 0pt 6gp for an 18yr old with his potential.

I think the only way I do this is if I held the long term goal of just waiver churning this roster spot rest of season.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Initiate

Schmaltz had a goal in each of last 2 games also.. feeling hes heating up. I see him as a 65-70 points player. But yes my hesitation is dropping Hughes now after a few games seem too premature.
    H2H 12-Team Keeper (8 + 4 rookies*) - G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SA, SV%, SHO

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    IR:
    G:

Dobber Sports Jedi

most projected Hughes to be in the same point range.
    If I were to swap Hughes, I'd much prefer to do it for a player that would better fill all my cats - PIM, H BLK (if D) -- or waiver churn (depending on transaction restrictions)
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Icon

My take on Schmaltz:

- He was on fire after joining AZ last year, 14 pts in 17 games before the season-ending injury, including 7 pts (4 goals) on the PP. It provided a glimpse of his potential, even on the Coyotes normally offensively-challenged squad.

- This year, he started slowly and in several articles (one in which he admitted) there is a rust factor based on his haven't played a reg season game in so long. It looks like after a slow start and pre-season he is picking it up.

- He's getting only 13 minutes or so per night, and on the 2nd line with Dvorak and Hayton, but has produced big time (5 pts in 5, including 2 PPGs). Tocchet is easing him in, but it tells me once he bumps him up to his usual 16-17 mins we'll see more out of him, especially on the PP where he's very effective. Last year in Arizona he averaged 18:01.

- This is the big question - he has been earmarked as a Cman, but (as Dobber mentions in his terrific guide) he has been pretty bad in the faceoff circle so a move to wing was always in the cards. And that's what has now happened, he moved to W with Dvorak as his C, and it's gone well.

- Next big question - with Keller underperforming and Stepan/Kessel starting slow, even though they've generated lots of chances, perhaps it's a matter of time before Schmaltz replaces Keller on the top line LW spot? If that happens, hello even more production, especially if it coincides with Kessel getting hot.

- Either way, I think it's a no-brainer that he gets more PP time, and that's where lots of his points will come from.

- The big problem with Schmaltz in multicat is he's been an anemic shooter, and they are trying to get him off of that. So far so decent this year, he's firing at a 2SOG/game rate which is a bit higher than normal, but still low. But he's wired a few goals this year so he might finally be getting it, to stop being so pass-first focused.

All in all, I think Schmaltz is a pretty solid keeper, especially in non-SOG leagues.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks for the detailed analysis and it all aligns with my thoughts around him. His multi-cat isn't great but can get points and and PPP for me.

I'm tempted to drop Ghost for him also, but I don't want to screw up my balance plus I do need help with Hits and Blocks...which Schmaltz won't be able to support..

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    IR:
    G: