Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Barzal dropped

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Barzal dropped

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I have a roster question. Matthew Barzal has been dropped in my league and I have the #1 WW so if I put it in I will get him. I would have to drop Vincent Trocheck for him. The categories are in my signature below. I would have to put the move in by tonight as the waiver ends tonight and then he becomes a free agent. Any advice would be really helpful. Thanks

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Barzal dropped

I'm not dropping any of your current C's for Barzal.

Trocheck is great in this setup.

Barzal unfortunately doesn't really bring much to the table with these scoring categories except G, A & PPP.

Can you grab him and drop Korpisalo and then use him to acquire a better G via trade?
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    I'm not dropping any of your current C's for Barzal.

Trocheck is great in this setup.

Barzal unfortunately doesn't really bring much to the table with these scoring categories except G, A & PPP.

Can you grab him and drop Korpisalo and then use him to acquire a better G via trade?
    That is possible, but in the mean time until a trade would happen it would really leave my goalies quite thin behind Vasi. We start 2 and goalies in our league are a big deal. Really all that are out there is Quick and Schneider who I am not touching on a stream because loses count against in my league. It is bad enough with Korpisalo.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Swedish Meatball View Post
    That is possible, but in the mean time until a trade would happen it would really leave my goalies quite thin behind Vasi. We start 2 and goalies in our league are a big deal. Really all that are out there is Quick and Schneider who I am not touching on a stream because loses count against in my league. It is bad enough with Korpisalo.
    You know your league better than anyone, but from a far i'd rather ride Vasilevsky and a goalie streamer than hold onto Korpisalo and Samsonov.
    You'll get the same number of starts but if you're active and keep an eye out you might even get better quality starts.

Barzal should be owned in this league, but what are you willing to sacrifice to pick him up?
    Is it worth losing a couple weeks to make your team better for the year?

What does the Holtby owner have in terms of other G's?

Maybe a Barzal & Samsonov for something from him?
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Prodigy

You know your league better than anyone, but from a far i'd rather ride Vasilevsky and a goalie streamer than hold onto Korpisalo and Samsonov.
    You'll get the same number of starts but if you're active and keep an eye out you might even get better quality starts.

Barzal should be owned in this league, but what are you willing to sacrifice to pick him up?
    Is it worth losing a couple weeks to make your team better for the year?

What does the Holtby owner have in terms of other G's?

Maybe a Barzal & Samsonov for something from him?
    Well in week one I used that strategy and lost every goalie category. I had only Darcy Kuemper behind Vasi and it didn't work. The thing is I don't want to burn my #1 WW selection if I don't have to and then down the road there is someone I need more or an injury on my team happens and I am screwed. The Holtby owner has Raanta and Martin Jones. I have watched Holtby as I am a capitals fan and I think something is wrong. That is why I have Samsonov. As for Korpisalo it was either him or Quick or Schneider. I went with the best option.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Well in week one I used that strategy and lost every goalie category. I had only Darcy Kuemper behind Vasi and it didn't work. The thing is I don't want to burn my #1 WW selection if I don't have to and then down the road there is someone I need more or an injury on my team happens and I am screwed. The Holtby owner has Raanta and Martin Jones. I have watched Holtby as I am a capitals fan and I think something is wrong. That is why I have Samsonov. As for Korpisalo it was either him or Quick or Schneider. I went with the best option.
    I guess what I'm saying is that you goal tending is your weakness and are you really that much better holding on to Samsonov and/or Korpisalo VS grabbing Barzal and using him to strengthen your weakest area.

And considering your goalie stats are not subjective to the number of starts, but the quality of starts i'd rather spot stream a goalie that I know has a quality start then carry a goalie on a bad team, Korpisalo.

If anything Korpisalo taints your good Vasilevky starts, so it's better to run Vasi 2 or 3 times a week plus a goalie streamer VS 5 or 6 games using Vasi and Korpisalo.
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Superstar

Seems to me your biggest problem by far is in the net. Barzal is not going to help there unless you look to trade him and perhaps another piece to bring in a goalie as has already been suggested. Your team looks very solid with the exception of your second goalie. I think that's where you need to focus and that could mean holding your ww 1, maybe someone drops a decent goalie and you can scoop them up, but failing that, your only other option would be to seek out a trade.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I guess what I'm saying is that you goal tending is your weakness and are you really that much better holding on to Samsonov and/or Korpisalo VS grabbing Barzal and using him to strengthen your weakest area.

And considering your goalie stats are not subjective to the number of starts, but the quality of starts i'd rather spot stream a goalie that I know has a quality start then carry a goalie on a bad team, Korpisalo.

If anything Korpisalo taints your good Vasilevky starts, so it's better to run Vasi 2 or 3 times a week plus a goalie streamer VS 5 or 6 games using Vasi and Korpisalo.
    The only problem with spot starts in my league is we have a limited amount of pick ups each week so that doesn't work or owners would have a designated droppable player stashed on the team and just pick up the back up goalie who is starting that particular day against a weak team or someone like McElhinney all the time or Stalock yesterday. My league can't do that. That is why owners carry a Halak and I am now carrying a Samsonov.

I understand that Korpisalo is hurting and I take a chance with him, but my other option is to tank the wins and hope Vasi goes nuts in the week and does pull out a goalie category or two and I can sweep the skater categories like I did in week 1 just so I can break even. So pretty much I have to take a chance with Korpisalo to get the reward for the big win.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    Seems to me your biggest problem by far is in the net. Barzal is not going to help there unless you look to trade him and perhaps another piece to bring in a goalie as has already been suggested. Your team looks very solid with the exception of your second goalie. I think that's where you need to focus and that could mean holding your ww 1, maybe someone drops a decent goalie and you can scoop them up, but failing that, your only other option would be to seek out a trade.
    There are a few problems there. First I would have to blow my #1 WW to get Barzal. Then I would have to drop Korpisalo leaving my goalies thin for another week and pretty much doing the same thing as I did in week 1 and losing out on all the goalie categories. All this and it doesn't guarantee a trade for a goalie upgrade for Barzal. I also don't think Barzal is going to get a top tier goalie. Like I said the top tier goalies are really coveted in my league and a center I don't think is going to get the job done. I am not going to do all of that just to get someone like Mrazek.

The Great One

I wouldn't drop any of your centers for Barzal.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I wouldn't drop any of your centers for Barzal.
    Thanks, yeah I think I am going to keep Trocheck.

Dobber Sports Veteran

The only problem with spot starts in my league is we have a limited amount of pick ups each week so that doesn't work or owners would have a designated droppable player stashed on the team and just pick up the back up goalie who is starting that particular day against a weak team or someone like McElhinney all the time or Stalock yesterday. My league can't do that. That is why owners carry a Halak and I am now carrying a Samsonov.

I understand that Korpisalo is hurting and I take a chance with him, but my other option is to tank the wins and hope Vasi goes nuts in the week and does pull out a goalie category or two and I can sweep the skater categories like I did in week 1 just so I can break even. So pretty much I have to take a chance with Korpisalo to get the reward for the big win.
    This is what I'm suggesting you do though, just because others don't do doesn't mean it can't be done.

From my vantage point holding Korpisalo/Samsonov is just as rewarding as streaming in an out a goalie, obviously depending on what's available on the wire, but if there's guys like Schneider and Quick then i'm sure there's options.

Obviouisly, Halak is taken, he's been a 1B solid rotation guys since he's been in Boston.

And the timing couldn't be better to move a player like Samsonov, don't let your team bias distract you from potential moves.

If you're banking on Korpisalo to get you through the week then why not grab Barzal and try and make an improvement.

Losing 2 or 3 weeks is worth it if you can trade for a G that will win you the remaining weeks.

How many moves do you get a week?

Looking ahead to see what the schedule looks like and keying out B2B's will help you find good goalie spot starts.
    https://leftwinglock.com/schedules/index.php?r=menu

Anyways, like I said, you know your league better than anyone, but this is just my opinion based on what I see, but you got to give to get, and Barzal is a good chip to use.
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Prodigy

This is what I'm suggesting you do though, just because others don't do doesn't mean it can't be done.

From my vantage point holding Korpisalo/Samsonov is just as rewarding as streaming in an out a goalie, obviously depending on what's available on the wire, but if there's guys like Schneider and Quick then i'm sure there's options.

Obviouisly, Halak is taken, he's been a 1B solid rotation guys since he's been in Boston.

And the timing couldn't be better to move a player like Samsonov, don't let your team bias distract you from potential moves.

If you're banking on Korpisalo to get you through the week then why not grab Barzal and try and make an improvement.

Losing 2 or 3 weeks is worth it if you can trade for a G that will win you the remaining weeks.

How many moves do you get a week?

Looking ahead to see what the schedule looks like and keying out B2B's will help you find good goalie spot starts.
    https://leftwinglock.com/schedules/index.php?r=menu

Anyways, like I said, you know your league better than anyone, but this is just my opinion based on what I see, but you got to give to get, and Barzal is a good chip to use.
    The streaming goalies thing each week does not work though in my league because we have limited moves. Also grabbing Barzal and the way goalies are coveted in my league I highly doubt he would get me anything in return more than a Martin Jones or Petr Mrazek. I don't know if it is worth it to blow my #1 WW pick this early and than possibly have an injury on my team where I do have to use it for the possibility of a trade of getting Mrazek or Martin Jones in return. I guess I look at Korpisalo a bit higher than others as I don't think Columbus is as bad as others do and there defense is pretty solid in my eyes.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

For the record, I think evans334's advice here is really good. The issue isn't really whether Barzal will get you the goalie you need, but rather will Barzal get you closer to the goalie you need than whatever else might come down the waiver wire later in the system. Barzal is a chip that you can move later as part of a trade for a goalie, or that makes it easier for you to move another centre as part of a trade for a goalie. Will there be a better chip?

In the long term, Koripsalo isn't the answer for your goaltending. At some point, you are (likely) going to move him. So I think the question is whether Barzal has more overall value in your league than Korpisalo.

In the short term, I don't see the harm in riding Vas/Samsonov for a week or three to see what happens.

Finally, I'm not sure I understand your point about injuries. If one of your players gets injured, are the other nine managers going to rush out and grab the replacement player you want that's been sitting unowned all season?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Swels Stewart View Post
    For the record, I think evans334's advice here is really good. The issue isn't really whether Barzal will get you the goalie you need, but rather will Barzal get you closer to the goalie you need than whatever else might come down the waiver wire later in the system. Barzal is a chip that you can move later as part of a trade for a goalie, or that makes it easier for you to move another centre as part of a trade for a goalie. Will there be a better chip?

In the long term, Koripsalo isn't the answer for your goaltending. At some point, you are (likely) going to move him. So I think the question is whether Barzal has more overall value in your league than Korpisalo.

In the short term, I don't see the harm in riding Vas/Samsonov for a week or three to see what happens.

Finally, I'm not sure I understand your point about injuries. If one of your players gets injured, are the other nine managers going to rush out and grab the replacement player you want that's been sitting unowned all season?
    Okay, I do understand what you both are say. Barzal does hold a ton of more value than Korpisalo. Here is an option that just popped into my head. It may just work as well. How about this idea. I use my #1WW pick on Barzal. I then trade Sidney Crosby for a top tier goalie instead of Barzal who would get me a lower tier goalie. How does that sound?