Thread: Add/Drop Hughes/Gusev/Neal

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Add/Drop Hughes/Gusev/Neal

Hi everybody,
    Yahoo one year, straight points. g-1, a-1, gwg-1, w-2, SO-3
    8 F, 4 D, 2 G
    No bench, No IR, only get 4 drops.

I have Hughes and Gusev but I'm thinking of dropping one for Neal, as my team is floundering and these two are a black hole on offense. I also have Kakko.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Add/Drop Hughes/Gusev/Neal

[EDIT]You only get 4 drops for the entire year? If that's the case, then I am not so sure of what I just said.[/EDIT]

I would have done that 7 days ago especially in a redraft league with no keepers. If Neal is on your FA list, then I bet you have other guys worth picking up too.
    In a 10 league where we start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D and 2 G daily. It is a H2H league - we keep 3 players (1 G max), are allowed a max of 2 keeps for each player. The number in brackets is the number of keeps I have left:

G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPG, PPA and Shots.
    C - Larkin, Couturier, Kopitar, Cirelli
    LW - OV, Panarin (1), Schenn (C), Ehlers (RW), Kreider
    RW - Kucherov (0), Seguin (C), Palmieri, Voracek, Yamamoto
    D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    G - Rask, Varlamov, Hart, Mrazek
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Prodigy

One year league than I suppose you do use one of you 4 moves for Neal even though I feel he hits a wall at some point. I feel he is relying on McDavid and Draisaitl and RNH on the PP to do what he is doing. He is still as slow as he was last year and it is obvious watching him in last nights game. Jack Hughes once he gets a goal he will take off. Don' know much about Gusev so drop him if you must for Neal, but only 4 moves is a mighty small amount.

The Great One

I wouldn't drop Hughes or Gusev for Neal.

With only 4 drops all season, no bench, and no IR, I'd wait for the inevitable injury bug to hit one or more of your players.

Also, I feel Neal is going to come crashing down and will likely not exceed 50 pts, even with his hot start. I still wouldn't be shocked (in fact, I fully expect) Hughes and Gusev to out point Neal before the season is over.

EDIT:

I'm going to copy and paste what I said earlier today about Neal in another thread about him...

Neal's shooting percentage is utterly unsustainable at its current 38%. That will drop to his career norm of 11% in a hurry, and with market correction I'd suggest he will be in for a major cold spell soon.

The Oiler's power play production percentage is also in line for a major market correction. I think their PP is running at over 40% right now (or close to it...I looked at the list quickly). That will revert to a more typical 20% soon.

Odds are that Neal will end up with at most 50-55 pts, and that is likely a stretch (under 50 is more likely). So, if he already has 8 pts, that suggests at most a meager 42-47 pts to be stretched over the remaining 76 games, or less than a point every 2nd game. Dark times ahead for Neal.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by anthonybeaty View Post
    [EDIT]You only get 4 drops for the entire year? If that's the case, then I am not so sure of what I just said.[/EDIT]

I would have done that 7 days ago especially in a redraft league with no keepers. If Neal is on your FA list, then I bet you have other guys worth picking up too.
    Yeah, only 4 drops for the whole year, and no IR. Ehlers and Neal are the top free agents available. I guess I need to save my drops for long term injuries...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I wouldn't drop Hughes or Gusev for Neal.

With only 4 drops all season, no bench, and no IR, I'd wait for the inevitable injury bug to hit one or more of your players.

Also, I feel Neal is going to come crashing down and will likely not exceed 50 pts, even with his hot start. I still wouldn't be shocked (in fact, I fully expect) Hughes and Gusev to out point Neal before the season is over.

EDIT:

I'm going to copy and paste what I said earlier today about Neal in another thread about him...

Neal's shooting percentage is utterly unsustainable at its current 38%. That will drop to his career norm of 11% in a hurry, and with market correction I'd suggest he will be in for a major cold spell soon.

The Oiler's power play production percentage is also in line for a major market correction. I think their PP is running at over 40% right now (or close to it...I looked at the list quickly). That will revert to a more typical 20% soon.

Odds are that Neal will end up with at most 50-55 pts, and that is likely a stretch (under 50 is more likely). So, if he already has 8 pts, that suggests at most a meager 42-47 pts to be stretched over the remaining 76 games, or less than a point every 2nd game. Dark times ahead for Neal.
    I have Malkin too, and I'm holding on to him in the hope he comes back and contributes. But he's a black hole in my lineup right now, as are Hughes, Gusev, and Kakko...I've already fallen way behind the pack.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Concrete View Post
    I have Malkin too, and I'm holding on to him in the hope he comes back and contributes. But he's a black hole in my lineup right now, as are Hughes, Gusev, and Kakko...I've already fallen way behind the pack.
    It is what it is...your league is terribly constricting with only four moves all year and no IR or bench. Perhaps you are already too far behind to catch up to the front-runners (though that seems hard to believe considering the season is barely two weeks old), but if you start dropping players like Hughes, Gusev, and Kakko now and try to pick up players like Neal, you will just be further hurting your chances. At this point, all you can hope for is that Hughes and the others (including Malkin) start putting up the numbers they were expecting to put up. It is a long season, and at some point a player or two on your team is going to go down for a long-term injury, and then you will be happy you still had some moves to make. Maybe someone else will get impatient with a struggling player and drop someone with more potential than Neal, and then it might be worth dropping one of the rookies.

I will say, though, that this might be a bit of a learning situation for you. In one-year leagues, drafting the high-end rookies like Hughes, Kakko, and Gusev is a boom-or-bust situation. Everyone hopes for the boom, but sometimes rookies need more time to adjust to the NHL. For every Petterson (for example), there are two or three Hischiers. I don't know when you drafted the rookies (hopefully not too soon in your draft), but you took them on a gamble and it is far too early in the season to give up on them. It is like holding a stock. Even if the stock is down, you aren't actually realizing the loss until you sell the stock. Sometimes, you just have to hold the stock and hope it rebounds.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Prodigy

It is what it is...your league is terribly constricting with only four moves all year and no IR or bench. Perhaps you are already too far behind to catch up to the front-runners (though that seems hard to believe considering the season is barely two weeks old), but if you start dropping players like Hughes, Gusev, and Kakko now and try to pick up players like Neal, you will just be further hurting your chances. At this point, all you can hope for is that Hughes and the others (including Malkin) start putting up the numbers they were expecting to put up. It is a long season, and at some point a player or two on your team is going to go down for a long-term injury, and then you will be happy you still had some moves you to make. Maybe someone else will get impatient with a struggling player and drop someone with more potential than Neal, and then it might be worth dropping one of the rookies.

I will say, though, that this might be a bit of a learning situation for you. In one-year leagues, drafting the high-end rookies like Hughes, Kakko, and Gusev is a boom-or-bust situation. Everyone hopes for the boom, but sometimes rookies need more time to adjust to the NHL. For every Petterson (for example), there are two or three Hischiers. I don't know when you drafted the rookies (hopefully not too soon in your draft), but you took them on a gamble and it is far too early in the season to give up on them. It is like holding a stock. Even if the stock is down, you aren't actually realizing the loss until you sell the stock. Sometimes, you just have to hold the stock and hope it rebounds.
    Oh for sure, I knew the risks. The rookies were all drafted in the later rounds. Hopefully they pick it up. I like your strategy though. Hold on for now.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Concrete View Post
    Oh for sure, I knew the risks. The rookies were all drafted in the later rounds. Hopefully they pick it up. I like your strategy though. Hold on for now.
    Then I wouldn't worry about it. You drafted them when the risk/reward was worth it. I suspect the caliber of players you would have been able to take over Hughes, etc. wasn't all that impressive, so why not go with the player with the most upside. The gamble may still pan out for you.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Then I wouldn't worry about it. You drafted them when the risk/reward was worth it. I suspect the caliber of players you would have been able to take over Hughes, etc. wasn't all that impressive, so why not go with the player with the most upside. The gamble may still pan out for you.
    I took Kakko when Hoffman, Duchene, Pacioretty were still on the board. A mistake for sure. We'll see if Kakko can pick it up. He's looked good, just hasn't capitalized.
    13 team Yahoo One Year/Points Only
    No Drops left. No Bench. No IR
    1 pt: g/a/ +1 gwg
    2 pts: w, +3 pts: shutout
    F: Pastrnak, Giroux, Trocheck, Meier, Marchand, Scheifele, Kadri, DeBrincat,
    D: Krug, J.Schultz, DeAngelo, Brodie
    G: Vasilevsky, Grubauer

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'd consider dropping Kakko.

Kakko is going to be a GREAT player... but... he needs a center to play with.
    He's basically Laine playing with anybody NOT named Mark Scheifele.
    Same deal for Kakko - who may not get top line chance with Panarin & Zibanajed.

You want to do a lot of reading on the NYR lines currently & possibly.
    I drafted Kakko in a 1-year league... but he's riding the pine for me.

I did read that Kakko is being inserted on NYR PP1... so check his PPTOI stats tonight (vs. ARI).
    Also, check in on his linemates before/after every game. There's good intel there as well.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I'd consider dropping Kakko.
    xxxx - Ziba - Panarin is a lock for NYR line #1.
    Issue is that I don't know if Kakko or Panarin can play LW.
    And I do know that NYR doesn't have a dynamic C2 (Strome has shown spurts... but he's not really special).

Kakko is going to be a GREAT player... but... he needs a center to play with.
    He's basically Laine playing with anybody NOT named Mark Scheifele.
    Same deal.

You want to do a lot of reading on the NYR lines currently & possibly.
    I drafted Kakko in a 1-year league... but he's riding the pine for me.

I did read that Kakko is being inserted on NYR PP1... so check his PPTOI stats tonight (vs. ARI).
    Also, check in on his linemates before/after every game. There's good intel there as well.
    He's been stapled to Stome so far, with a bit of Howden. I keep giving him one more game. Rangers don't score much anyway.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Kakko with a point last night...
    JT Miller, Burakovsky, Perron, Silfverberg, Nelson, Reilly Smith, Haula, are free agents. Drop time?