Thread: Next diamond in the rough prospect REP

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Next diamond in the rough prospect REP

Hey guys,

simple (or no so simple) question. What do you think, who could be the next star (or just a great) player drafted outside of the first two rounds in NHL Entry draft. I mean Brayden Point/Jake Guentzel kaliber etc.
    Team:

--------------------20 team, weekly H2H, multicat--------------------
    C: MacKinnon, Scheifele, Bergeron, Toews, W.Karlsson, Lundell (start 4)
    LW: Guentzel, Giroux, Landeskog, Ehlers, Benn (4)
    RW: Kucherov, Tarasenko, Rantanen, Teravainen, Palmieri (4)
    D: Klingberg, Rielly, Hamilton, Trouba, Sergachev, Gudas, McNabb, Hakanpaa (6)
    G: Lehner, Fleury, Petersen, Swayman (2)
    Prospects: Turcotte, J.Quinn, L.Hughes

Default Re: Next diamond in the rough prospect REP

Here is a guy who is moving up to the top pair defence unit but not getting PP yet. If he does watch out for Ethan Bear of the Edmonton Oilers.

Dobber Sports Wizard

From the 2019 draft, Patrik Puistola and Pavel Dorofeyev are definitely guys with that kind of upside - both were on my pre-draft 1st round. You could also add Tuukka Tieksola, Anttoni Honka, Matias Maccelli and Michal Teply to that list.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    From the 2019 draft, Patrik Puistola and Pavel Dorofeyev are definitely guys with that kind of upside - both were on my pre-draft 1st round. You could also add Tuukka Tieksola, Anttoni Honka, Matias Maccelli and Michal Teply to that list.
    This is very nice to see as I picked both Puistola and Tieksola in my recent draft.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Padawan

I don't know about Point and Guentzel, because that's a tall order. But in terms of guys that might do significantly better than their draft position implies, I'm saying Jan Jenik. #65 overall in the 2018 draft.

Remember a couple of years ago when everyone tried to knock Brady Tkachuk down by pointing out he was way older than the other prospects? Jenik is the exact opposite scenario, almost a full year younger than Tkachuk. Drafted the same year, just 17 years old, he was the youngest kid in the draft, (born on the cutoff date). He came over to North America last season after being drafted and put up 30 points in 27 OHL games to start his career in North America (49 PIM too). So far this year, as a guy that just turned 19 one month ago, he's got 5 goals and 14 points in 7 games. He is about to have a monster year and is only a single day separated from the 2019 draft class. Some of this is certainly because he's playing with Arthur Kaliyev, but I think that due to his age he could be a serious sleeper.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopo View Post
    I don't know about Point and Guentzel, because that's a tall order. But in terms of guys that might do significantly better than their draft position implies, I'm saying Jan Jenik. #65 overall in the 2018 draft.

Remember a couple of years ago when everyone tried to knock Brady Tkachuk down by pointing out he was way older than the other prospects? Jenik is the exact opposite scenario, almost a full year younger than Tkachuk. Drafted the same year, just 17 years old, he was the youngest kid in the draft, (born on the cutoff date). He came over to North America last season after being drafted and put up 30 points in 27 OHL games to start his career in North America (49 PIM too). So far this year, as a guy that just turned 19 one month ago, he's got 5 goals and 14 points in 7 games. He is about to have a monster year and is only a single day separated from the 2019 draft class. Some of this is certainly because he's playing with Arthur Kaliyev, but I think that due to his age he could be a serious sleeper.

Jenik is a great player and there was a nice article about him in today's Hamilton Spectator (Hamilton Bulldogs: His name is often mangled but there’s nothing wrong with Jan Jenik’s game) but I worry his game is so complete (great 200ft game, effective defensively and on the penalty kill) that he'll settle in as a bottom 6 player at the NHL level. Though as he has shown since paired up with Kaliyev, if you can put him with skilled players Jenik will get the puck to them in all the right places.

Thanks guys. Especially these analyzes on Jenik. I'm going to keep my eyes on these prospects definitely.

In deep leagues, you can win the league if you can identify these kind of guys earlier then others. This is how I got Gustafsson, Hintz or V. Olofsson in a very deep league (the league rostering 1000 players). So if you think you know somebody, let's share it with us.

Dobber Sports Ace

Check out Morgan Barron and Santeri Virtanen, they may interest you... they won't be Point/Guentzel level quality but some very promising development from these 2.
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Icon

I may have mentioned this name elsewhere on these forums but a potential home run dmen who was never actually drafted is Yegor Zamula of the Calgary Hitmen.