Thread: Real Deal James Neal?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Real Deal James Neal?

Sorry for another Neal thread. I read the other ones but wanted to ask a question more specific to my situation.

For the league in my sig -

At 5.75 mil, is he worth an add just to ride the hot streak? I don't know who is worth dropping for him. Nurse, March, Krug, Domi are the only guys who's salary matches. I would drop Miller but keeper rules (that I won't get into, complicated) won't let me drop him.

I don't have the salary cap space to drop one of my rookies/ELC players like Kahun or Batherson either
    SBF Keeper League // 10 Teams // NHL Salary Cap //
    4C, 8W, 6D, 1G, 4B
    G=3pts, A=2pts, Shots=.2, PIMS=.2, Blocks=.2pts, Hits=.2pts, PPP=.5pts, SHP=1pt, GWG=.5pts,
    W=3pts, SO=4pts, GA=-.5, Saves=.1pt

St. Petterssons

C: Pettersson, Novak, Kurashev, Lapierre
    W: Kucherov, Draisaitl, Hyman, Connor, W Nylander, Bratt, Coleman, Pacioretty, Milano, A Nylander, M Jones
    D: Theodore, Seider, Harley, York, Kylington, Perunovich, Sandin
    G: Skinner

*Bold means I can't drop them (but I can trade them).

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Real Deal James Neal?

You got to grab him cuz he is so hot and if you miss out you will regret it. You know if you don’t jump on Neal now another owner is gonna snag him right from under your nose. I would drop Domi.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

First off, dropping any of those D is a terrible idea. Nurse & Krug are way more important to your team.

That leaves Marchessault & Domi from your list. Neal is probably no better at peripherals, so it's about scoring, and I have more faith that the other two guys are locked into their roles and productivity levels.

I'd pass in your situation.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

People also seem to forget Neal is a certified band-aid boy. I would not drop Domi or Marchessault for him.
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Genius

Yah lets all pump our breaks. This is always the early season rush, these things tend to work themselves out over the season.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Neal has definitely found a home on the low-right of the EDM PP1 unit.
    And that's 15ft from Connor McDavid on right mid-wall, so it's a juicy place.
    So long as Neal can keep shooting like he has been from there... he may get 20ppg this year.

But... let's not lose track of a few things on Neal.
    1. He has 6 goals this year... he has ZERO assists. Zero. His assist totals have been super low for several years now.
    2. Of those 6 goals... only two are even-strength, both last night.
    3. Goal #1 came when Derick Brassard gave the puck away to Neal - nobody was expecting that... and neither was Varly, who played it poorly (not expecting it).
    4. Goal #2 was another NYI giveaway, odd-man 3-on-2 the other way... Neal went to his "spot" (same as PP) and 5-holed an on-ice goal thru the wickets of Greiss (who played the Neal shot-position as poor as Varly).
    5. Neal is +0 even with his six goals. That's because he's been on for two ESG against.
    6. Neal was -5 last year (on a good CGY team).
    7. Neal was -11 the year before (on a good VGK team).
    8. Neal was -10 the year before (on a good NAS team)...
    all of these things evidence that James Neal is NOT a good even-strength player in today's NHL.

It's worth watching the highlights on Neal.
    There are things to like:
    1. EDM has obviously given Neal the green light to shoot EVERY.CHANCE.HE.GETS.
    2. The WAY/location Neal is shooting... and shooting WELL from his "spot" with EDM. (Pat Kane is one of the masters of the bad-angle, hard-to-read, down-low shot. I think EDM wants Neal to try that... so far, so good.)

There are things to not like on Neal.
    1. Neal is still slow as shit for today's NHL. (watch him skate through the neutral zone in the highlights below... O... M.... Gawd...)
    2. Neal is not a passer.

The gravy here is whether James Neal is going to keep clicking on the EDM PP1.
    People need to make their own minds up on that.

My thoughts:
    Real Deal Goal-Scorer on EDM PP1... yes. So... if somebody's league counts PPP highly, especially PPG... Neal is a must own.
    Real Deal Anything Else... nope. So... in multi-cat leagues that waterdown SOG, PPP, or PPG (or don't have one or some of those)... Neal's value is much lower

[It's a lock that NHL team planners will start prepping their goalies and D for where Neal is camping out on the EDM PP1. Watch for that over EDM's next 2-3 games.]

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Neal has definitely found a home on the low-right of the EDM PP1 unit.
    And that's 15ft from Connor McDavid on right mid-wall, so it's a juicy place.
    So long as Neal can keep shooting like he has been from there... he may get 20ppg this year.

But... let's not lose track of a few things on Neal.
    1. He has 6 goals this year... he has ZERO assists. Zero. His assist totals have been super low for several years now.
    2. Of those 6 goals... only two are even-strength, both last night.
    3. Goal #1 came when Derick Brassard gave the puck away to Neal - nobody was expecting that... and neither was Varly, who played it poorly (not expecting it).
    4. Goal #2 was another NYI giveaway, odd-man 3-on-2 the other way... Neal went to his "spot" (same as PP) and 5-holed an on-ice goal thru the wickets of Greiss (who played the Neal shot-position as poor as Varly).
    5. Neal is +0 even with his six goals. That's because he's been on for two ESG against.
    6. Neal was -5 last year (on a good CGY team).
    7. Neal was -11 the year before (on a good VGK team).
    8. Neal was -10 the year before (on a good NAS team)...
    all of these things evidence that James Neal is NOT a good even-strength player in today's NHL.

It's worth watching the highlights on Neal.
    There are things to like:
    1. EDM has obviously given Neal the green light to shoot EVERY.CHANCE.HE.GETS.
    2. The WAY/location Neal is shooting... and shooting WELL from his "spot" with EDM. (Pat Kane is one of the masters of the bad-angle, hard-to-read, down-low shot. I think EDM wants Neal to try that... so far, so good.)

There are things to not like on Neal.
    1. Neal is still slow as shit for today's NHL. (watch him skate through the neutral zone in the highlights below... O... M.... Gawd...)
    2. Neal is not a passer.

The gravy here is whether James Neal is going to keep clicking on the EDM PP1.
    People need to make their own minds up on that.

My thoughts:
    Real Deal Goal-Scorer on EDM PP1... yes. So... if somebody's league counts PPP highly, especially PPG... Neal is a must own.
    Real Deal Anything Else... nope. So... in multi-cat leagues that waterdown SOG, PPP, or PPG (or don't have one or some of those)... Neal's value is much lower

[It's a lock that NHL team planners will start prepping their goalies and D for where Neal is camping out on the EDM PP1. Watch for that over EDM's next 2-3 games.]

Bang on, agree with everything said !
    H2H weekly matchups | 12 teams | 2C • 3W • 3D • 1UTIL • 2G • 3BN • 2IR+ | 3 weekly moves

Scoring | 4G, 3A, 0.3+/-, 1PPP, 5SHG, 3SHA, 3GWG, 0.4SOG, 0.2FW, -0.2FL, 0.3HIT, 0.3BLK | 4W, -1GA, 0.25SV, 6SHO

ROSTER:
    (C,W) Stamkos, Giroux
    (C) Barkov, Couturier
    (W) M.Tkachuk, Konecny, Svechnikov, Caufield
    (D) Josi, Morrissey, Theodore, Sanderson
    (G) Bobrovsky, Husso
    (IR+) Vasilevskiy, Matheson

Record: 2-1-0

Dobber Sports Superstar

Pengwin7 hits it out of the park again! Awesome analysis of what Neal can and cannot bring to your fantasy team. I'll add one thing, Neal is a seasoned veteran and he's had success in the past, I believe he has his role in Edm figured out and its' a damn good fit. I expect he will continue having success, this is not a flash in the pan, that said, we need to understand that he will stuff some stats and not others as Pengwin7 articulated. Expectations need to be tempered. To answer the question, Neal could be an excellent supporting piece to a fantasy squad if you have the CAP to add him, but he is not going to be nor should he be considered to be a core piece. Accordingly, I would not recommend dropping any other players mentioned to obtain Neal. I was fortunate enough to have close to 3 Mil in CAP available, and when Neal started lighting it up, I dropped Charlie Coyle and was able to fit Neal's cap hit into my roster. I don't consider Coyle to be in the same class of players as the guys you are considering dropping for Neal.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Don’t. It’s Neal. Look at his shooting percentage, no way it’s sustainable. When the season is done, IF he stays healthy, 45 points I’d bet on. Who would you want to drop for that?
    11 GM limited keeper. keep 13 drop 10. 12f,6d,2g,3bench

Use current cap.

G8, A7, SHG5, SHA3, PIM1, .02 for hits,shots, blocks.
    Goalies stats. W.10, SO.5, OTL.3, SOL.2, SV.010

F-, Connor , svechnikov , Aho , E.Lindholm,hoglander,trochek
    , mcmichael, Konecny, batherson, Farabee, tomasino,

Bench, shesterkin , pinto, Lundkvist, Tomasino

D- theodore, girard, weeger, shattenkirk, clague, perunovich

G- hellebuyck