Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Election

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Canadian Election

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Unfortunately that won't ever happen, because the current system benefits the "winning" party and that party will then continue to think the current system benefits them and they can "hold the advantage" right up until the moment they can't at which point it's too late to change the system. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.
    It has happened in other countries (i.e. New Zealand), but I agree that the Conservatives and Liberals are unlikely to ever implement it.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Actually, it was unethical, not criminal. Big difference. He broke ethics laws, not criminal ones.

I previously voted Liberal mainly because Scott Brison was a very good representative for my area. Now that he's retired, I have no idea who I will vote for. I am not a die hard Liberal or Conservative. Over my 30 years of voting, I have voted for both parties depending on what the information before me had going on. It's tough this time around.
    Kudos to Axe for this.

While I'm all aboard the "electoral reform" train, I would genuinely love to see how this country looks if people voted based on the way the system was designed to operate. That being, voting for the individual in YOUR riding to best represent YOU/YOUR RIDING in Ottawa. Also something that takes on additional significance if a minority government is elected.

I realize it "feels" as though we're voting for Trudeau/Scheer/Singh/May/etc.... but unless you happen to reside in their particular riding, you're not actually voting for "them".

Having personally lobbied a few MP's in Otttawa, I'm really confident to say that despite party "whips" and despite "partisan positions", your MP does have the capacity to speak on behalf of your riding... even if it's against the "party line".

If your candidate refuses to do that, perhaps it's worthwhile to consider whether they're the best representative for your riding... regardless of party affiliation.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by YzermansLegacy View Post
    Kudos to Axe for this.

While I'm all aboard the "electoral reform" train, I would genuinely love to see how this country looks if people voted based on the way the system was designed to operate. That being, voting for the individual in YOUR riding to best represent YOU/YOUR RIDING in Ottawa. Also something that takes on additional significance if a minority government is elected.

I realize it "feels" as though we're voting for Trudeau/Scheer/Singh/May/etc.... but unless you happen to reside in their particular riding, you're not actually voting for "them".

Having personally lobbied a few MP's in Otttawa, I'm really confident to say that despite party "whips" and despite "partisan positions", your MP does have the capacity to speak on behalf of your riding... even if it's against the "party line".

If your candidate refuses to do that, perhaps it's worthwhile to consider whether they're the best representative for your riding... regardless of party affiliation.
    An eloquent explanation of why strategic voting is worse than not voting.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Kudos to Axe for this.

I'd love to believe this is true, but I just don't. Even if your MP "speaks on your behalf" they tend to vote along party lines on almost everything.

Dobber Sports Ace

Kudos to Axe for this.

Yeah, the trouble with this is that MPs NEVER vote against party wishes in Canada. All candidates are chosen by the party, there is no selection process with public input like there is the US, so if you don't toe the line they just boot you for someone else. Sure, they can speak on behalf of their riding, but that's about as far as it will go if the party wants to take things in a different direction.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I'd love to believe this is true, but I just don't. Even if your MP "speaks on your behalf" they tend to vote along party lines on almost everything.

Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    Yeah, the trouble with this is that MPs NEVER vote against party wishes in Canada. All candidates are chosen by the party, there is no selection process with public input like there is the US, so if you don't toe the line they just boot you for someone else. Sure, they can speak on behalf of their riding, but that's about as far as it will go if the party wants to take things in a different direction.
    The difference/point is the leader has far less power in Canada than in the US. They're mostly just a figurehead. The party sets policy and then the party votes on party lines. So you can vote for/against a party and their policies, but you're never actually voting for a person.

Dobber Sports Ninja

The difference/point is the leader has far less power in Canada than in the US. They're mostly just a figurehead. The party sets policy and then the party votes on party lines. So you can vote for/against a party and their policies, but you're never actually voting for a person.
    Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that party members nearly always vote along party lines.

Dobber Sports Stud

As long as that fruitcake Trudeau doesn't win, I'll be happy.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Yes Doulos that’s an interesting point.

Dobber Sports Ace

That's actually exactly my point. Local MPs don't matter, party policy is what dictates what happens. I didn't even mention the party leader, but I agree with you.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    It is somewhat comforting to know I'm not the only one feeling this way.

I'm not impressed with what Trudeau has done with his time.

I'm not impressed with how Scheer has presented himself and his platform.

I'm impressed with Singh but don't trust the rest of his party to competently run a country.

The others don't really bare consideration.

The options are grim.
    I would assume the majority of intelligent voters are feeling this way.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yes Doulos that’s an interesting point.
    Haha touche

Dobber Sports Master

whichever local candidates election sign disrupts my ability to see who the hell is coming up and down the highway while I'm a stop sign usually doesnt get my vote

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    That's actually exactly my point. Local MPs don't matter, party policy is what dictates what happens. I didn't even mention the party leader, but I agree with you.
    See, I don't agree with this. If your local MP does nothing for you, then that's your areas problem.

Brison was a very good representative for my area of Kings Hants. He was active in the community, showing up for local events. He actually went to Tim Hortons to talk to locals about concerns on a regular basis. He fought hard to get our main highway twinned when for years, we couldn't get ahead in that area even though it was known to be one of the worst for accidents across the country. He secured funding for a research facility at Acadia University. I saw Federal funding come in for a bunch of new hockey arenas due to Brison beating the drum. That's just a few things I can think of off the top of my head.

Man if your local representative isn't getting it done for you, you have the wrong guy. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Sure, if your local guy isn't the party in power, it makes it tougher, but that doesn't mean they don't have a voice.

The problem people have with local representation is they don't really know what they do. Unless you are watching the House of Commons on TV (hey, who isn't right??? ) you don't see or hear much of your guy.

I don't disagree that they can be forced to "toe the party line" but that also doesn't mean they cant do some good when the opportunity arises. The right guys make the opportunity by selling their needs. I truly believe local representation is a good thing. Its your local voice in Ottawa, if they want to use it. Money doesn't just drop in areas unless they are asking for it.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    ...The right guys make the opportunity by selling their needs. I truly believe local representation is a good thing. Its your local voice in Ottawa, if they want to use it. Money doesn't just drop in areas unless they are asking for it.
    I'll disagree with this. I believe that money falls to very specific ridings, especially leading up to an election. Kings Hant is a riding that can swing to either Blue or Red and local spending has a large impact on that swing. I agree that a squeaky wheel helps get funding, but it's a small factor. I'm willing to wager $$ that no Alberta riding received funding, regardless of how squeaky anyone may have been, since the Liberals started their massive pre-election spending spree.