Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Election

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Canadian Election

There is a very strong argument that strategic voting to prevent somebody who you think would be absolutely horrible as Prime Minister may very be embracing your responsibility. It’s silly that somebody needs to explain that.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    There is a very strong argument that strategic voting to prevent somebody who you think would be absolutely horrible as Prime Minister may very be embracing your responsibility. It’s silly that somebody needs to explain that.

Rylant
    Also, I have more respect to someone using his right to vote (even if it's to cancel his vote) instead of a lazy non-voter.
    10 Keepers Salary Cap League (96,025,000M Cap - Players CAP-HIT)
    8 Teams / 12 FW, 6 D, 1G, 4 Scratches
    +6 ELC contracts (farm)

F: 1xG + 1xA
    D: 2xG + 1xA
    G: 2xW + 1xOTL + 1xSO

F: Hintz, J. Hughes, Schmaltz, Zacha, Hyman, Novak, Hartman, Stamkos, Knies, Marchessault, Konecny, Monahan,
    D: Heiskanen, Andersson, Sergachev, Mintyukov, Addison, Guhle

G: Shesterkin

Scratch : Dach, Wheeler, Eklund,
    Lundkvist
    FARM : Edvinsson, Stankoven, Kulich, Musty, Leonard, Hutson

Dobber Sports Sage

Didn't watch the debate. At this stage my only certainty is that my vote won't be going to Alladin.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Grand Master

That's really the name you wanna go with?

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    Didn't watch the debate. At this stage my only certainty is that my vote won't be going to Alladin.
    Jesus

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Jesus
    Just to clarify this I mean Justin Trudeau (dressed up as alladin). I didn't think that comment through until I read your response and realized how it could be interpreted.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Star

Just to clarify this I mean Justin Trudeau (dressed up as alladin). I didn't think that comment through until I read your response and realized how it could be interpreted.
    hahaha, okay that's definitely not the way I took it... oops!

Dobber Sports Ninja

From a 'how did the debate go' standpoint, I certainly thought Singh did very well, coming off as genuine and thoughtful. May is always strong in debates, though I'd say this wasn't one of her better nights overall. Blanchet was actually really really good considering the language barrier and the weirdness of his party.

Scheer and Trudeau both looked like idiots.

Bernier was a disaster.

Note that none of this determined how I will vote as I find debates to mostly be entertainment and not substance.

I'll vote this year, though I have no idea why. Even on the best of days voting is pretty much a waste of time in a Federal Election, but living in Alberta it's even moreso. I guess I do it for the same reason I wear a poppy. Not because it accomplishes anything, but for symbolic reasons.

No matter what happens, about half the country is going to think it's the end of the world.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I'll vote this year, though I have no idea why. Even on the best of days voting is pretty much a waste of time in a Federal Election, but living in Alberta it's even moreso. I guess I do it for the same reason I wear a poppy. Not because it accomplishes anything, but for symbolic reasons.
    If we ever get proportional representation your vote will make a difference, no matter where you live or what party you support.

Dobber Sports Superstar

It is somewhat comforting to know I'm not the only one feeling this way.

I'm not impressed with what Trudeau has done with his time.

I'm not impressed with how Scheer has presented himself and his platform.

I'm impressed with Singh but don't trust the rest of his party to competently run a country.

The others don't really bare consideration.

The options are grim.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I literally choked when I read your first comment. Thanks for clarifying. God forbid you end up running for politics years Down the road... this thread will be brought up and you’ll get smeared and never get the vote.

I have zero idea of who to vote for so I’ll once again be leaning on the forum here which always proves to be a great source of info inside and outside of hockey!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    If we ever get proportional representation your vote will make a difference, no matter where you live or what party you support.
    It's more fair, for sure, but I still am not convinced it pushes voting into "this is an important thing to do" status. But hey, go for it. The worst that can happen is you get hit by a bus and killed on the way to the voting booth, and that's a pretty low probability!

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by ACC90 View Post
    Also, I have more respect to someone using his right to vote (even if it's to cancel his vote) instead of a lazy non-voter.
    Thanks. I am 50 years old and I have never missed a vote in my life. I am well informed and for the most part, I normally vote for the person I most agree with. Very occasionally, I will vote strategically if I am really disturbed at thought of one particular candidate winning, and I am convinced that my preferred candidate won't be elected. You don't have to agree with my voting, but I am pretty convinced that at the very least, I have a history of voting "Responsibly". Its sad that I feel the need to have to defend myself here.

Rylant

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Its sad that I feel the need to have to defend myself here.
    I'll let you in on a secret: you don't have to defend yourself.

Don't tell anyone else!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    Unfortunately that won't ever happen, because the current system benefits the "winning" party and that party will then continue to think the current system benefits them and they can "hold the advantage" right up until the moment they can't at which point it's too late to change the system. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.