Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Election

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Canadian Election

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Believing in God just in case he is real to avoid fiery Damnation seems like the worst reason in the world to believe. Besides, I don’t believe God doesn’t exist because I want to, or I choose to, it’s what I honestly believe. I can’t force myself to have faith if I legitimately don’t have it. I can’t lie to myself about something like this. Besides, if God is real and is omnipotent, wouldn’t he know that you didn’t believe out of genuine faith, and that you did it out of convenience? I would think that he would know better.

Rylant
    Well, again, it's also a question of which God. Good luck figuring out which of the 1000s you need to pick. And since some of them get REAL cranky if you cavort with others, the chances of avoiding eternal damnation are awfully low.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Did you read the link I sent to you. I will lay out a particular phrase from it that might make what I am saying clearer.

I'd invite you again to go take a look and dig into the data a bit. They will do a much better job than myself at trying to explain why what you're stating is not at all accurate.
    The comparison to collecting stamps is not the same. Physically collecting stamps as opposed to physically not collecting stamps.. there is substance to the difference between the two.

When it comes to religions it’s about the belief system. A better comparison would be those that believe the world is flat as opposed to those that believe the world is round. They both have a belief about the world but they are opposites. So if one side believes there is a God and the other side believes there isn’t... they are both belief systems.

I will definitely read the link you provided when I have some time.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    The comparison to collecting stamps is not the same. Physically collecting stamps as opposed to physically not collecting stamps.. there is substance to the difference between the two.

When it comes to religions it’s about the belief system. A better comparison would be those that believe the world is flat as opposed to those that believe the world is round. They both have a belief about the world but they are opposites. So if one side believes there is a God and the other side believes there isn’t... they are both belief systems.

I will definitely read the link you provided when I have some time.
    Glad to hear it. Hopefully it helps.

Dobber Sports Star

You have a belief system that there is nothing.. so the burden of proof is on you to prove that then? Just because you claim it is not a religious belief or a cult (but that every other belief system is) doesn’t mean you get to excuse yourself from proving your side.

Is it not a lazy approach to make your opponent alway prove their side? I guess that is the ‘hand it to me’ millennial way of thinking that people are being raised with.
    This is flawed to me. So firstly, Oxford defines religion as “The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.”, so I am not sure atheism fits this definition.

So there are many reasons I believe it is highly unlikely that God exists. Why would an all-powerful being create a race of inferior beings and then demand that we worship him with zero proof that he exists? Oh and if we don’t, then we are punished with an eternity of fiery damnation. How fragile is this all-powerful being? That makes no sense to me.

Also, humans are terrified of the possibility that when we die, we may cease to exist. Nobody knows for sure what happens when you die, and throughout history, humans tend to be really nervous about the unknown. For centuries, humans were aware of the sun, but didn’t know what it was. It was the unknown. They were afraid of it. So, they turned it into a God which made it easier for them. Of course, today we know better. It’s scary to think about what happens when you die. Religion give us some relief to that possibility. If we can believe that we will live for eternity in bliss after dying, it eases that nervousness.

To me, it makes more sense that it is far more likely that humans created God because we needed him, not the other way around. Do I know that this is the case 100 percent? No, of course not, however I am fairly comfortable with this belief. You say that the burden of proof that God does not exist should fall on me. Well, humour me for a moment. Let’s just assume for a minute, that I am right and God does not exist, and humans created him to fill a void. How would I possibly be able to prove that? I wouldn’t know where to begin or if that would be possible with humans small sphere of influence. That is one of the beauties of religion; they exist without needing a shred of proof. That’s what faith is. If you have faith, then I truly have nothing but respect for it, and I hope that it gives you peace. When I am being honest with myself and I look deep inside, there is no belief. It would not be genuine for me to pretend I could believe.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Ninja

Anyhow, back to the election. Saw this today.

Rhea Donsman
    ‏ @repdonsman456
    Quick #cdnpoli model update for Oct. 18

Seat projection as follows:
    Con 133
    Lib 127
    NDP 38
    BQ 35
    Grn 4
    Ind 1

This would be hilariously amazing. Try making 170 out of that mess. Love it!

Dobber Sports All-Star

A better comparison would be those that believe the world is flat as opposed to those that believe the world is round. They both have a belief about the world but they are opposites. So if one side believes there is a God and the other side believes there isn’t... they are both belief systems.
    This is a good example, but for a different reason that intended. Believing the world is round, like atheism, is not a belief system. It is a scientifically proven and demonstrable fact. Religion is a belief system because it does not use facts it relies on faith. Atheism, like the knowledge that the world is round, relies on facts. If someone were to present an atheist with scientific proof that a certain god or gods exist, they would no longer be an atheist. Atheism is not stubborn or dogmatic. It is simply an honest account of the facts as we know them.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Anyhow, back to the election. Saw this today.

Rhea Donsman
    ‏ @repdonsman456
    Quick #cdnpoli model update for Oct. 18

Seat projection as follows:
    Con 133
    Lib 127
    NDP 38
    BQ 35
    Grn 4
    Ind 1

This would be hilariously amazing. Try making 170 out of that mess. Love it!

Minority Government!

Those numbers almost look fixed! If the Liberals, NDP and Green were to join they would be one short!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    This is a good example, but for a different reason that intended. Believing the world is round, like atheism, is not a belief system. It is a scientifically proven and demonstrable fact. Religion is a belief system because it does not use facts it relies on faith. Atheism, like the knowledge that the world is round, relies on facts. If someone were to present an atheist with scientific proof that a certain god or gods exist, they would no longer be an atheist. Atheism is not stubborn or dogmatic. It is simply an honest account of the facts as we know them.
    Mike drop with so few words. Brilliant.
    10 Owner Keepers. Keep 8

Positions----C:3 LW:3 RW:3 D:6 G:2
    Skaters: Assists/Blocks/FOW/Goals/Hits/SOG/STP
    Defense premium 1.5/1 Goalies: GA/SV/W

Kootenay League

C: Draisaitl(c,l), Zibanejad, Beniers, Nelson
    RW:Meier(l,r), Kyrou, Tippett, D.Stome(c,r), Stone
    LW: Tkachuk(l,r), Panarin, McCann(c,l), Marchessault(l,r),
    D: Josi, McAvoy, Morrissey, Montour, Toews, Hronek, Severson, Orlov
    G: Gustavsson, Kuemper, Gibson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Isn’t it a cult for all those that don’t believe in something? I am pretty sure you are not the first person that hasn’t believed? So are you not just following in someone else’s beliefs as well?
    We are all born atheist. It all changes for some when the child abuse of indoctrination occurs which is common with all cults. A cult is a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object or misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing. Atheism is simply not believing in any of the cults for the simple reason that no evidence has ever been produced to support any cult. Quite the opposite, science provides plenty of evidence for why cults exist and how ridiculous their claims are.
    10 Owner Keepers. Keep 8

Positions----C:3 LW:3 RW:3 D:6 G:2
    Skaters: Assists/Blocks/FOW/Goals/Hits/SOG/STP
    Defense premium 1.5/1 Goalies: GA/SV/W

Kootenay League

C: Draisaitl(c,l), Zibanejad, Beniers, Nelson
    RW:Meier(l,r), Kyrou, Tippett, D.Stome(c,r), Stone
    LW: Tkachuk(l,r), Panarin, McCann(c,l), Marchessault(l,r),
    D: Josi, McAvoy, Morrissey, Montour, Toews, Hronek, Severson, Orlov
    G: Gustavsson, Kuemper, Gibson

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Comparing believing in religion to believing the earth is flat and not believing in religion to knowing the earth is round really is the perfect and hilarious analogy.

Also FWIW, you can’t prove a negative. So, you know.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Minority Government!

Those numbers almost look fixed! If the Liberals, NDP and Green were to join they would be one short!
    I also thought they looked suspect. In the end the Liberals would need Jody Wilson-Raybould to form government. Hahah.

I also thought they looked suspect. In the end the Liberals would need Jody Wilson-Raybould to form government. Hahah.
    Perfect irony right there.

​​

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by renello View Post
    Mike drop with so few words. Brilliant.
    Just wanted to draw some more attention to this great post.

EDIT: Oops, thought the initial post would get quoted...

The Great One

Latest Poll Tracker:

Liberals: 141 (15% chance of majority, 51% most seats but shy of majority)
    Conservatives: 121 (1% change of majority, 32% most seats by shy of majority)
    BQ: 39
    NDP: 34
    Green: 2
    PPC: 1

The part I find funny is the only thing stopping a liberal majority is the rise of the BQ in Quebec. So instead of that, we're going to get a Liberal-NDP coalition. The only thing that could possibly be any funnier would be a Liberal-NDP coalition with the Conservatives having seats than the Liberals.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Latest Poll Tracker:

Liberals: 141 (15% chance of majority, 51% most seats but shy of majority)
    Conservatives: 121 (1% change of majority, 32% most seats by shy of majority)
    BQ: 39
    NDP: 34
    Green: 2
    PPC: 1

The part I find funny is the only thing stopping a liberal majority is the rise of the BQ in Quebec. So instead of that, we're going to get a Liberal-NDP coalition. The only thing that could possibly be any funnier would be a Liberal-NDP coalition with the Conservatives having seats than the Liberals.
    Polls are still kind of all over, even this morning. I've seen everything from a solid Conservative minority, to a Liberal majority. So who knows what's going to happen.

Hlariously, if you're from Alberta, I'd say if you had a choice between a Liberal Majority or a Lberal Minority, supported by the NDP, you'd want the former. There's no way the NDP is going to play nice with Alberta energy.