Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 36 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Election

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Canadian Election

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    The provincial and federal parties are completely different entities, not branches of the same organization. The former Liberal party in power in BC was VERY conservative, for example.
    Yes, and Notley in AB is not like the Federal NDP party. They don't really even get along all that well.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Notley is the worst leader in Alberta's history. God help us all if the NDP ever gets in federally.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by renello View Post
    Exactly right sir. Religion poisons everything. Faith, the belief in something without proof is not a virtue.
    I disagree with your words, kind sir, but I will fight to the death for your right to say them. Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Wow... the vitriol in this thread is disgusting. I skimmed through the last few pages and that was more than enough for me.
    Do you really think so? There is no question there are passionate people with diametrically opposed views here, but I think most of the banter is pretty harmless. If somebody says something that I feel is bullshit, I won’t hesitate to call them out on it, and I expect people to do the same thing to me if they feel strongly enough about something I have said. For the most part, I don’t think I am going to drastically change anybody’s mind, but there have definitely been things pointed out in this discussion that have made me at least reconsider things that I have thought to be true. Nothing to make me dramatically change my stance, but enough to move the dial. If you can try to be objective, then these types of discussions could be enough to start the change.

I am constantly questioning what I believe to be true and evaluating where I stand on issues. These types of discussions are an important part of that process to me. For the most part, I don’t take a jab at me or my beliefs in these threads personally, and I hope that people don’t take the things I say personally. Be objective. Question everything. Have intense, passionate and even heated debate. I think it’s healthy, and I appreciate it, even if I disagree with you drastically.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I
    Exactly right sir. Religion poisons everything. Faith, the belief in something without proof is not a virtue.
    But in choosing not to believe in something without proof is okay? Isn’t it a bit of a double standard?

I would rather err on the side of caution when is comes to eternity... especially with the whole threat of climate change destroying the world in short order
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I

But in choosing not to believe in something without proof is okay? Isn’t it a bit of a double standard?

I would rather err on the side of caution when is comes to eternity... especially with the whole threat of climate change destroying the world in short order
    Climate change is real, will it destroy the earth? No, but it will change the earth. As for erring to the side of caution when it comes to eternity, I guess your refering to belief in one of the various cults. Burden of proof always falls on the owner of ridiculous claims which would aptly describe all cults. I am quite comfortable knowing that this life is all we have. Make the best of it.
    10 Owner Keepers. Keep 8

Positions----C:3 LW:3 RW:3 D:6 G:2
    Skaters: Assists/Blocks/FOW/Goals/Hits/SOG/STP
    Defense premium 1.5/1 Goalies: GA/SV/W

Kootenay League

C: Draisaitl(c,l), Zibanejad, Beniers, Nelson
    RW:Meier(l,r), Kyrou, Tippett, D.Stome(c,r), Stone
    LW: Tkachuk(l,r), Panarin, McCann(c,l), Marchessault(l,r),
    D: Josi, McAvoy, Morrissey, Montour, Toews, Hronek, Severson, Orlov
    G: Gustavsson, Kuemper, Gibson

Dobber Sports Ninja

I

Better hope you pick the right deity or you're in real trouble. Lots of them dont play nice with each other.

Climate change is real, will it destroy the earth? No, but it will change the earth. As for erring to the side of caution when it comes to eternity, I guess your refering to belief in one of the various cults. Burden of proof always falls on the owner of ridiculous claims which would aptly describe all cults. I am quite comfortable knowing that this life is all we have. Make the best of it.
    Isn’t it a cult for all those that don’t believe in something? I am pretty sure you are not the first person that hasn’t believed? So are you not just following in someone else’s beliefs as well?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Ninja

Isn’t it a cult for all those that don’t believe in something? I am pretty sure you are not the first person that hasn’t believed? So are you not just following in someone else’s beliefs as well?
    No. This is not correct at all.

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    No. This is not correct at all.
    How not? Can you prove that your belief system is correct? There is only one correct answer, but everyone’s bias is going to make them think theirs is right.

Dobber Sports Ninja

How not? Can you prove that your belief system is correct? There is only one correct answer, but everyone’s bias is going to make them think theirs is right.
    I don't have a belief system in a way that is identical to religion. The burden to prove is not on me, but on those who make a claim.

For more information feel free to check out https://www.atheists.org/activism/re...about-atheism/

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I don't have a belief system in a way that is identical to religion. The burden to prove is not on me, but on those who make a claim.

For more information feel free to check out https://www.atheists.org/activism/re...about-atheism/
    You have a belief system that there is nothing.. so the burden of proof is on you to prove that then? Just because you claim it is not a religious belief or a cult (but that every other belief system is) doesn’t mean you get to excuse yourself from proving your side.

Is it not a lazy approach to make your opponent alway prove their side? I guess that is the ‘hand it to me’ millennial way of thinking that people are being raised with.

I apologize that this thread is so far off topic...but it’s better conversation that bashing Trudeau or Scheer

Dobber Sports Star

I

Believing in God just in case he is real to avoid fiery Damnation seems like the worst reason in the world to believe. Besides, I don’t believe God doesn’t exist because I want to, or I choose to, it’s what I honestly believe. I can’t force myself to have faith if I legitimately don’t have it. I can’t lie to myself about something like this. Besides, if God is real and is omnipotent, wouldn’t he know that you didn’t believe out of genuine faith, and that you did it out of convenience? I would think that he would know better.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Ninja

You have a belief system that there is nothing.. so the burden of proof is on you to prove that then? Just because you claim it is not a religious belief or a cult (but that every other belief system is) doesn’t mean you get to excuse yourself from proving your side.

Is it not a lazy approach to make your opponent alway prove their side? I guess that is the ‘hand it to me’ millennial way of thinking that people are being raised with.
    Did you read the link I sent to you. I will lay out a particular phrase from it that might make what I am saying clearer.

To put it in a more humorous way: If atheism is a religion, then not collecting stamps is a hobby.
    I'd invite you again to go take a look and dig into the data a bit. They will do a much better job than myself at trying to explain why what you're stating is not at all accurate.