Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Election

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Canadian Election

Quote Originally Posted by Hooker View Post
    I'll disagree with this. I believe that money falls to very specific ridings, especially leading up to an election. Kings Hant is a riding that can swing to either Blue or Red and local spending has a large impact on that swing. I agree that a squeaky wheel helps get funding, but it's a small factor. I'm willing to wager $$ that no Alberta riding received funding, regardless of how squeaky anyone may have been, since the Liberals started their massive pre-election spending spree.
    Alberta is a strange situation though. For the most (with a few exceptions) they will vote for a tube of toothpaste if it's coloured blue. No party (including Conservatives) has any incentive to do anything for Albertans.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I don't disagree that they can be forced to "toe the party line" but that also doesn't mean they cant do some good when the opportunity arises. The right guys make the opportunity by selling their needs. I truly believe local representation is a good thing. Its your local voice in Ottawa, if they want to use it. Money doesn't just drop in areas unless they are asking for it.
    In each federal budget there is funding set aside for infrastructure, health care etc etc. that is then distributed to the provinces. Things like highways aren't even federal jurisdiction, though I do notice that when a new infrastructure project is announced politicians at all levels of government like to take credit. Your MP may have been vocal about a particular project, but that doesn't mean that changed federal policy, which is what I thought we were talking about here.

Dobber Sports Deity

Well, as I've said, Brison was good for this riding. He was visible, accessible and genuinely seemed to give a shit about his riding. That was good enough for me to warrant ticking his name on my ballot.

It will be different this time not voting for him. I don't know his replacement nor do I know any of the others so now, instead of voting for my local guy, I guess I am bound to vote for a federal leader. I'm not happy about it, but whatcha gonna do.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

No one ever wants a minority government.. but it might be the best situation for our country right now.

After watching the two leaders talk over each other and show great disrespect to each other in the debate we might be better off with those two holding each other in check in a minority until either party can get a better leader.

Too bad we couldn't take Singh (with a more conservative platform) and let him be the leader of the Conservative Party... and this race would be over!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I personally believe Canada should always be a minority government.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    No one ever wants a minority government.. but it might be the best situation for our country right now.

After watching the two leaders talk over each other and show great disrespect to each other in the debate we might be better off with those two holding each other in check in a minority until either party can get a better leader.

Too bad we couldn't take Singh (with a more conservative platform) and let him be the leader of the Conservative Party... and this race would be over!
    Don't hold your breath

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I personally believe Canada should always be a minority government.
    I think you are right... Western Canada and Eastern Canada have significantly different needs.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Don't hold your breath
    Haha I wouldn't... not even if someone dared me to try!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'd absolutely LOVE a minority government.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think you are right... Western Canada and Eastern Canada have significantly different needs.
    They are entirely different countries. Separation makes sense, but is unlikely to happen, but Canada should always have a minority government.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    They are entirely different countries. Separation makes sense, but is unlikely to happen, but Canada should always have a minority government.
    Interesting that you think separation makes sense. I could never see that being better than Canada as a whole.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I expect Alberta to generate a significantly larger separation voice should the election end with a Liberal minority propped up by Green or NDP. And based upon the alarmist style green rhetoric from all 3 of those parties I could see trans mountain never getting developed and Alberta oil continue to be landlocked. Factor in transfer payments, add in the Enbridge attempt to lock up the LNG pipeline and if that isn't addressed bottoms out then...I could definitely envision the spawning of an Albertan (& Sask. maybe Man.) separation party.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Well, as I've said, Brison was good for this riding. He was visible, accessible and genuinely seemed to give a shit about his riding. That was good enough for me to warrant ticking his name on my ballot.

It will be different this time not voting for him. I don't know his replacement nor do I know any of the others so now, instead of voting for my local guy, I guess I am bound to vote for a federal leader. I'm not happy about it, but whatcha gonna do.
    https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/in...-hants-354718/

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Hooker View Post
    I expect Alberta to generate a significantly larger separation voice should the election end with a Liberal minority propped up by Green or NDP. And based upon the alarmist style green rhetoric from all 3 of those parties I could see trans mountain never getting developed and Alberta oil continue to be landlocked. Factor in transfer payments, add in the Enbridge attempt to lock up the LNG pipeline and if that isn't addressed bottoms out then...I could definitely envision the spawning of an Albertan (& Sask. maybe Man.) separation party.
    It will never happen, and nor should it. There is nothing feasible about the proposal for Alberta to separate. If the concerns of a separatist are focused on getting product out of their landlocked country and feeling stymied as part of Canada, how do they think that's going to get any better if they actually separate. It's absurd. Or maybe they think they will get some sort of sweet deal if they join the USA...lol.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that there already is an Alberta Independence Party who ran candidates in this year's Provincial Election. There was also Derek Fildebrandt's Freedom Conservative Party, which was similar in many ways. The former recieved 0.71% of the popular vote, and the latter 0.52% of the popular vote. To put that into perspective, even that hated Alberta Green party got 0.41% of the popular vote. They are just not a factor at all.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I agree, I don't think it will ever happen. Nor would I like it to.
    Their point being that they are being "fleeced" on transfer payments, forced into a carbon tax to heat their homes, their Beef industry is under attack under the guise of climate change, their forest industry is being troubled by the infestation from BC, etc...How much worse does it have to get?
    All their complaints are falling on deaf ears. Ontario has their head in the ground and Quebec has made it abundantly clear that they don't want "dirty Alberta oil"...but keep the $ coming.