Thread: Why aren’t more people rostering Sammy Blais?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Why aren’t more people rostering Sammy Blais?

What are people overlooking in this guy?

He was 0.4% owned to start the year and after one game he’s up to 13%, but I don’t see how he’s not above 60% in leagues that count hits. He’s predominantly playing with ROR and Perron.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Why aren’t more people rostering Sammy Blais?

He's still pretty unknown. No hype as a prospect. People are still finding out about him.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Stud

When I never read a post about people’s leagues that go like this

“Should I make this trade? Gibson, Morrissey, and Backstrom are the best available on the free agency”

Then I’ll worry about a guy like Blais... in the mean time... shhhh. He is a secret! Hahaha
    14 team Fantrax H2H keeper league
    G, A, P, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW, - W, Gaa, Sv%, Svs

C - Crosby, Tavares, Kopitar, Toews
    LW - Hall, Giroux(C), Vrana, Gaudreau
    RW - Pastrnak, Kane, Stamkos(C), Kubalik
    D - Burns, Murphy, Morrisey, Cernak, Whitecloud, Chiarot
    G - Mrazek, Campbell, Brossoit, Greiss
    Bench - Middlestat, Wennberg, Perron, Olofsson, Schwartz, Atkinson, Yama

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I am thinking about it. I have Jason Dickinson and now that he is going to be out for a week or so I am thinking about dropping him at the start of next weeks game(Monday) and picking up Blais.
    MD Rink Rats( 14 Team Keeper H2H Yahoo League)
    ​G,A,PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK/ W, GAA, SV%, SHO

D: K. Yandle- Fla, J. Muzzin- Tor, S. Gostisbehere- Phi, R. Pulock-NYI, S. Girard- Col, T.J. Brodie- Cgy, B. Pesce- Car
    C: T. Seguin- Dal, M. Scheifele- Wpg, E. Pettersson- Van, D. Larkin- Det, D. Stepan- Ari
    RW: V. Tarasenko- Stl, P. Kessel- Ari, S. Reinhart- Buf(C), E. Lindhom- Cgy(C), T. Toffoli-LA, B. Connolly- Fla(LW), D. Kahun-Pit(LW)
    LW: T. Hall- NJ, A. DeBrincat- Chi(RW), J. Skinner- Buf(C), T. Tatar- Mon(RW), A. Iafallo- LA, J. Dickinson- Dal(C)
    G: S. Varlamov- NYI, J. Howard- Det, M. Smith- Edm, J. Saros- Nas, P. Francouz-Col

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'd say he's not owned because to date he is a player with 8 points in 44 NHL games. This year could be a breakout, and if it is his owned% will rise over time, but a lot of leagues have 10-12 GMs and he probably doesn't make the cut in the top 200 or so that go on draft day with his totals to date.

I think you have to take things like the percentage of ownership of a player in context. A lot of leagues are a lot simpler than the one in your signature (like the one in my signature -- 150 players are owned in that league, and Sam Blais frankly should not be owned on Day 2 of the season in that league even with hits). My other league is a 31-team full keeper salary cap league where all the GMs can own up to 38 players/prospects. Sam Blais is and should be a pretty hot commodity in that league, but these kinds of leagues are next level hockey nerdy and not the norm. So his ownership will look low.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Administrator

Blais has no track record (8 pts in 44 games) and even in leagues that count hits most leagues are not large enough for his hits to make up for his lack of scoring history.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

To be my 7th LW I see it as a win/win situation. If he doesn't pan out than he gets dropped later on.
    MD Rink Rats( 14 Team Keeper H2H Yahoo League)
    ​G,A,PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK/ W, GAA, SV%, SHO

D: K. Yandle- Fla, J. Muzzin- Tor, S. Gostisbehere- Phi, R. Pulock-NYI, S. Girard- Col, T.J. Brodie- Cgy, B. Pesce- Car
    C: T. Seguin- Dal, M. Scheifele- Wpg, E. Pettersson- Van, D. Larkin- Det, D. Stepan- Ari
    RW: V. Tarasenko- Stl, P. Kessel- Ari, S. Reinhart- Buf(C), E. Lindhom- Cgy(C), T. Toffoli-LA, B. Connolly- Fla(LW), D. Kahun-Pit(LW)
    LW: T. Hall- NJ, A. DeBrincat- Chi(RW), J. Skinner- Buf(C), T. Tatar- Mon(RW), A. Iafallo- LA, J. Dickinson- Dal(C)
    G: S. Varlamov- NYI, J. Howard- Det, M. Smith- Edm, J. Saros- Nas, P. Francouz-Col

Dobber Sports Titan

He's on my watch list while I see how more 'known' players flesh themselves out. Tanev, Alex Nylander, and Olofsson type players will flesh themselves out, and by then I will know if Blais is going to be effective or not. So if you could kindly Shut the heck up, I'd love that.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Initiate

/Thread

Dobber Sports Veteran

He's not getting any PP time yet but nice to see he had some points tonight. I'm considering picking him up off waiver wire.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    He's not getting any PP time yet but nice to see he had some points tonight. I'm considering picking him up off waiver wire.
    The word considering means you will probably too late.

Dobber Sports Wizard

He has no history of production anywhere, including 44 NHL games? He has 3 points in 2 games but doesn't get any PP time. He doesn't shoot the puck much, fewer than 1 SPG in 44 NHL games. This is not the player you're looking for. Move on.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    He has no history of production anywhere, including 44 NHL games? He has 3 points in 2 games but doesn't get any PP time. He doesn't shoot the puck much, fewer than 1 SPG in 44 NHL games. This is not the player you're looking for. Move on.
    No history of production?

82 points in 61 games in the 'Q' at age 18
    43 points in 75 games in the AHL at age 20
    40 points in 42 games in the AHL at age 21

I envy your prospects if those numbers are nothing to you.

Dobber Sports Giant

I think the hesitation has to do with St. Louis' winger situation in general. It's clear that, at least for now, the Blues are going to run with Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko as a line, so that leaves O'Reilly-Perron with an assortment of possible guys like Blais, Sanford, etc. and then there's Robert Thomas. This guy is clearly going to be a hell of a player for a lot of years, and he should have a consistent spot in the top-six sooner rather than later.

Sure, the Blues want to spread scoring, and Thomas had some measure of success playing on the third line with Bozak last season, but I don't foresee a situation where Thomas finishes the season outside that top six Forward group. Whoever spends time in that spot alongside Perron/O'Reilly should have an opportunity to succeed offensively, but I just don't see anything being permanent until Thomas is locked in.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'm not sure how to get % owned on a site based on league type. I don't see any in Fantrax. I'm in 2 leagues there and his ownership is 50%.

One has 330 owned players, and is points only, except for goalies. Blais isn't rostered, and there's basically no way I'd consider adding him (see sig).

The other league has 900 owned players, and is multi-cat. He's got dropped briefly in the offseason, then picked up by another team. I end up checking on guys all the the time I read about out here, but often they are gone already.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.