Thread: Pick a side- Talbot OR Montembault/Persson

The Great One

Default Pick a side- Talbot OR Montembault/Persson

Team and league in sig.

Very deep league with deep farm so there is no problem keeping any of the players involved. Its a salary league and were up to like 111.5 so even Talbot as the highest salaried asset is relatively easy to roster.

My quick two cents on each side:

Talbot should be good for a split at the very least and maybe pulls ahead as the quote, unquote- starter- and I could see him ending up with 45-50 starts although Im not writing that down in pen by any means. On a stacked and well coached defensively Flames squad- I think hed have a good chance of being an impact piece this year.

My thinking on Montembault is a bit contrarian. He still has high draft pedigree and the talent to carve out a starters role although between Bobo and Knight its now safe to assume thats not happening in Florida. I think he can still apprentice under Bob and go on to forge a career somewhere else ala Antii Raanta. I know Bob is a horse and prefers to play 60+ games but with the trend towards "load management" I wouldnt be surprised if they tried to rest him a little more and I could see Montembault getting into 25ish games. Persson is total boom or bust- but if he booms 25-30 points from the blueline at a million is cocoa bananas in our format.

Anyways i talk/type too much and Im looking for an unbiased opinion. FTR I like both sides of this trade- what say you Nation of Dobber?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Pick a side- Talbot OR Montembault/Persson

I take Talbot here.
    There's a chance Bob plays 65-70 for Fla to get them into the playoffs.
    Mont has basically minimal value this season.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Administrator

I'd say there's a good chance Florida ends up with a different backup soon. Montembeault is waivers-exempt and hasn't shown he's NHL-ready.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

I think this is the type of trade that will have almost no impact at all in your fantasy league.

The odds of Talbot getting into even 40 games is quite low. I am guessing he will be closer to 25 games played than to 40. Montembeault is another back up goalie who likely won't see much action this season. I would guess that if Bobrovsky gets hurt, the Panthers would trade for a more established goalie. Persson may not even play in the NHL this season. Sure he started the pre-season with Klefbom but he got hurt and Ethan Bear knocked the opportunity door right off its hinges with 4 points in a game. Bear is now the guy playing with Klefbom and it will be tough for Persson to get the spot back unless Bear falters (which is entirely possible). Even if Persson gets in the lineup, I doubt he'll see much PP time as I can't see the Oilers 2nd unit playing very much. I would be shocked if Persson had more than 18 points this season.

With all that said, I would prefer the Talbot side because there's a much higher chance that he becomes a valuable asset as he would be the Flames starter if Rittich was injured or terrible. The same can't be said for Montembeault.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I would roll with Talbot.
    MD Rink Rats( 14 Team Keeper H2H Yahoo League)
    ​G,A,PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK/ W, GAA, SV%, SHO

D: K. Yandle- Fla, J. Muzzin- Tor, S. Gostisbehere- Phi, R. Pulock-NYI, S. Girard- Col, T.J. Brodie- Cgy, B. Pesce- Car
    C: T. Seguin- Dal, M. Scheifele- Wpg, E. Pettersson- Van, D. Larkin- Det, D. Stepan- Ari
    RW: V. Tarasenko- Stl, P. Kessel- Ari, S. Reinhart- Buf(C), E. Lindhom- Cgy(C), T. Toffoli-LA, B. Connolly- Fla(LW), D. Kahun-Pit(LW)
    LW: T. Hall- NJ, A. DeBrincat- Chi(RW), J. Skinner- Buf(C), T. Tatar- Mon(RW), A. Iafallo- LA, J. Dickinson- Dal(C)
    G: S. Varlamov- NYI, J. Howard- Det, M. Smith- Edm, J. Saros- Nas, P. Francouz-Col

Dobber Sports Titan

I think I would rather Talbot's 40-45 games on Calgary.
    I expect Monty to really only start during the B2Bs.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

The counter was around Hronek or Merzlikins for Talbot- in a salary cap keeper. Theres no real traction with that type of offer is there?

Dobber Sports Wizard

i actually thin persson will be a real thing so i take that side just cause of a D and ignore goalies
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    i actually thin persson will be a real thing so i take that side just cause of a D and ignore goalies
    Yea man- me too- lol! Its a hard sell though because people arent buying in yet. Likely not tradable which just means your stuck keeping him and reaping the dividends :P

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    The counter was around Hronek or Merzlikins for Talbot- in a salary cap keeper. Theres no real traction with that type of offer is there?
    If I can give Talbot for Hronek, I take it. If I get Elvis, I probably take it.

I prefer Talbot in the original offer, as if he hits, we'll fetch more than Persson & Montembault.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    If I can give Talbot for Hronek, I take it. If I get Elvis, I probably take it.

I prefer Talbot in the original offer, as if he hits, we'll fetch more than Persson & Montembault.
    I hear ya- there was never any chance i was gonna take the counter- just wanted to see if i had missed something...