Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Business Attire Question

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Business Attire Question

We have CEO coming soon to our work, and I work in a weld shop where I'm on the shop floor half the time I'm in the office. We've been instructed to wear "business attire" however, I'm worried about getting dirty everyday, so I wear a work pant/jeans and t-shirts often.

Is it acceptable to wear black jeans and a button up tucked in as business attire? Or do I need to be wearing pants.

My want is jeans and a button up so I can change the T-shirt after the CEO leaves, but I also have a sweater that's this (it's a dark blue version tho) I could wear with a pair of like trousers. Is that business attire at all that would be fitting?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Business Attire Question

Go business for the CEO & change after. or Vice-versa. My old manager always kept a couple ties in his drawer at work for when a higher up would visit. he'd put one on as they walked in the door. All pre-tied. Hopefully you know what time the CEO is coming so you can know when to dress up/dress down.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Magnificent One

Even in this day and age I don't think jeans fits the definition of business attire, even business casual attire. I'd go with a collared long sleeve shirt and dressy pants. Bring a tie just in case others wear one. If not, then don't wear it.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Titan

Thanks guys. Best to over dress than under dress. Thanks!

Dobber Sports Genius

Honestly jeans and a button up shirt is fine. This isn't your wedding day and this isn't the pope coming to visit. Very often unless your CEO was gifted this position, these individuals rise to that level by being logical intelligent people. He will know what the business is about and respect that you get your hands dirty for the company. At the same time your showing him/her some respect by dressing up a little bit more then you would normally.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Deity

So are you expected to be working on the floor when the CEO is there or is there a separate meeting with him?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    So are you expected to be working on the floor when the CEO is there or is there a separate meeting with him?
    So over 8hrs of work, I could be at my desk for 3hrs straight doing paperwork, and 5hrs on the floor of a weldshop. Or one day 8hrs doing paperwork and Skype Meetings, or another day 8hrs on the floor. Pretty variant from day-to-day. But over a week half my time is on the floor.

We're an international company so the CEO would be the equivalent of like Toyota coming.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    This is the real question. And have you met the CEO before?

Depending on what he's like and what your interaction with him will be it shouldn't matter all the much unless he has a reputation for nit picking on things.

As long as you dress appropriately for your positions and the work that you do, you'll be fine.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Stud

Looking just a little bit better for the boss will never hurt you. It takes 3 min to change after he leaves. Don’t overthink this.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    So over 8hrs of work, I could be at my desk for 3hrs straight doing paperwork, and 5hrs on the floor of a weldshop. Or one day 8hrs doing paperwork and Skype Meetings, or another day 8hrs on the floor. Pretty variant from day-to-day. But over a week half my time is on the floor.

We're an international company so the CEO would be the equivalent of like Toyota coming.
    Gotcha.

Well as someone who has worked in the business industry for a number of years back in the day, when I hear "business attire", that means a nice pair of Khaki pants and a collared shirt (be it a golf shirt or even a dress shirt of some sort) at a minimum. Jeans are not acceptable for business attire unless it was knows as a "dress down" type of day. That is the way I understood it but you know your audience better than I do.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Would echo the others that jeans, unfortunately, aren't generally considered "business attire".

One other option to consider if you're not a big tie-wearer, is to have a jacket/blazer that you could toss on over your shirt, and then obviously remove once your meeting is done. Quick (and relatively painless) way to spruce up an outfit, whether in a dress shirt or golf shirt imo.

Last thought - if it's within your control - is to see if you could schedule more "office" work stuff that day, so that you're not worried about having to go onto the floor at all that day.

Some REP too for posting such a great question - I don't doubt that there are lots of people reading the forums who would appreciate others' thoughts/experiences on this.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Genius

Correct me if I am wrong, but this sounds like a one day thing right?

If so, dress to the nines then get changed afterwards. Not only will you look appropriate for the big boss, but you will earn some cred with the rest of your coworkers for being able to morph into looking totally different person. Have fun with it.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Ninja

Pretty much same thoughts from me - dress shirt + dress pants.

I will say this though and I think this is a pretty understated point - try to make sure that everyone dresses at the same level. It's less obvious that something is weird if everyone is dressed the same. I remember one time I went to a pretty important introduction meeting and there were two other guys on my team - two of us wore ties and one didn't. I took my tie off and suggested other guy do the same so we look uniform.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Ninja

How you dress depends on how much you like your job. If you hate it, wear ratty jeans with pizza sauce stains, a Che Guevara T-shirt and a MAGA ball cap (just to confuse everyone). If you like your job, I'd wear the dress shirt and pants, then change after the visit.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ace

I'd say the idea of changing mid-shift is unappealing, but definitely the best option. I'm a chef, and I always keep one clean, pressed chef coat, and a pair of black dress pants in my locker just in case I need to go out on the floor to schmooze big spenders and the like.

My personal touch is that I never switch out from my Bruins ballcap. Nobody ever questions why the chef would be wearing a cap... only my choice of team in a town so close to Toronto.

Clearly every workplace is a little different, but I always just assume that if my wife wouldn't tell me that I look good, nobody else is going to either.